+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1252535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

CCL

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Has Jodie Whittaker been on a BBC show? Broadchurch was an ITV show. Not sure about her earlier work.

The regeneration I was most "against" was 9 into 10. . I wanted Eccleston back. I still quite like Eccleston's Doctor, though Tennant did grow on me.
    9Cloud likes this.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I never said anything rude or nasty. My opinion is that the Doctor should be a man. I loved Missy & my ultimate dream would have been for #12 to regenerate in her body.
    I actually thought they were seriously considering moving Pearl Mackie up into the role of the Doctor throughout the season and the fact they had delayed revealing the Doctor to such an extreme (going by their handling of the casting, not my personal opinion).

While I think Michelle Gomez is fantastic as Missy, and wish they were going to continue to have her appear in the show, I don't think she would've made a good Doctor if ONLY because she played such a well-known role.

Then again, she might not have had the chance to play Missy (or Simm the Master, etc.) if things went they way they could've in the '70s.

Storyboard I believe had it where he and Jon Pertwee's Doctor were going to have one final showdown during Pertwee's season and the Master was going to be unquestionably dead.

Yes - I know they could've reworked it to what they did do eventually (have the corpse-like version), but I don't think it would've been as likely given the two men's friendship in real life (Delgado and Pertwee).

It's just I am tired of BBC re-re-reusing their actors especially when they are so well known in a different role. Next thing you know we will have Mary Berry coming in as a new Master!
    They've been doing this off and on since Davison's (fifth Doctor) era. He was known for "All Creatures Great and Small" when he was cast. Colin Baker was in an episode of the show before he was cast, etc.

I think really the only one that was truly pulled out of nowhere without any ties to the TV industry before being cast was Tom Baker (fourth Doctor). He was working I believe in construction or other labor work (non acting) when he was asked to audition.

While I do agree it can be tiresome, it's not anything they haven't done with some frequency over the past 50+ years.

And in fairness - Jodie Whittaker is, at least here in the states, not as well-known as had they cast say Arthur Darvill or Olivia Coleman in the role of the Doctor. We don't see a whole lot of "Broadchurch" here unless it's shown on BBC (less said about the Americanized version the better).

I do agree that Clara stood way too long but I LOVED Matt Smith's Doctor. He & River had chemistry plus I really loved Amy.
    I liked Rory too - while he did have his moments of goofiness and "idiot guy" side, Rory was a far more rounded male companion than some of the other ones they've had since the series reboot.

The only other ones I'd say who were stronger male companions were Ian, Ben, Jamie and Harry Sullivan.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Love Harry Sullivan
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

jadewarlock - While I actually LOVE the idea of Bill regenerating into the Doctor (or, rather, vice versa!), I don't think I could have accepted Arthur as the Doctor. Rory was a long-term companion. It would be too hard to see him as the Doctor after he played Rory for so long. Besides, he's been playing a Time Master on Legends of Tomorrow (and every time he refers to himself as such, I giggle). IMO, that's different from PC playing a one-episode role years earlier. I never though Olivia Colman was a good option either, although I think she's a great actress. I just never saw her as the Doctor. ITA about Michelle Gomez too. It might have been a fun twist if they'd cast Neve McIntosh (Madam Vastra) as the next Doctor. I always loved her, and she certainly wouldn't be recognizable out of the Vastra makeup.
    Miss_Griss and libgirl2 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't think I could have accepted Arthur as the Doctor. Rory was a long-term companion. It would be too hard to see him as the Doctor after he played Rory for so long. Besides, he's been playing a Time Master on Legends of Tomorrow (and every time he refers to himself as such, I giggle). IMO, that's different from PC playing a one-episode role years earlier.
    Oh I didn't expect him to play the Doctor (though IMHO I feel he could've). I was just making a point how they could've handled the casting of the new Doctor.

And honestly, though I can't see Legends of Tomorrow often, I do like Arthur in that role.

I never though Olivia Colman was a good option either, although I think she's a great actress. I just never saw her as the Doctor. ITA about Michelle Gomez too. It might have been a fun twist if they'd cast Neve McIntosh (Madam Vastra) as the next Doctor. I always loved her, and she certainly wouldn't be recognizable out of the Vastra makeup.
    I'm not sure if McIntosh would've taken the role though - unless she could change her voice some to ensure she wasn't recognized as being Vastra.

Colman I never saw as the Doctor - there are other actresses who would've been stronger IMHO.

The only other actress I would've considered for the role (currently) is Natalie Dormer. She has the personality and the skills to play the role.

The only trouble with her in the role however would've been she is a bit more recognizable internationally - people would've possibly compared her to Cressida, Anne Bolyn or Margaery Tyrell.
    Critical likes this.

I don't know that many people would recognize Neve's voice. Maybe it would be familiar, but they wouldn't be able to place it. It's not like she played Strax!

I like Natalie Dormer a lot, but I actually think she's too young and sexy to play the Doctor. Not that Jodie isn't lovely, but she's not a sexpot. The criticism of Tennant being too good looking would be nothing compared to the backlash if they'd hired ND. I think she's a very good actress and could handle the part, but maybe in another decade or two. So much in show business is about perception and physical appearance vs. actual ability.

In some ways, I think Arthur IS playing a version of the Doctor on LOT. He's much more confident and commanding (and attractive!) on that show than he ever was on DW. I think I wanted to like Rory more than I actually did and I didn't really learn to appreciate Arthur as an actor until Broadchurch and LOT.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, I found Darvill as Rory the best male companion they had since Harry Sullivan during the Fourth Doctor era. I still wish they'd found a way to keep him on a bit longer myself, and apparently some people felt that way afterward. (Ian Marter, who played him, was hired because they thought they'd be getting another actor in line with Hartnell - and older Doctor, so they'd need a younger male role).

I do agree with Natalie Dormer as far as the sexpot look - if only due to the roles she's played that are recognizable. Still, she could eventually become a great version of the Doctor if the show is on long enough to allow her the chance. There's a video somewhere that people made from some of her other works and turned it as though she was the Doctor. It was rather stunning.

Was going to say in other news, David Tennant (10th) is going to be a guest star in "Thunderbirds Are Go." He's apparently playing one of Brains' idols I think.

I just got into "Thunderbirds" recently - both the Supermarionation and the current one with set models and CGI for the Tracys and other characters. (How you may ask? - believe it or not scouting out music for juggling routines).

Really am enjoying both versions (though I prefer the "TAG" versions of Alan and John to their original counterparts - I like both versions of Scott, Virgil and Gordon), but it'll be fun to hear Tennant as a character in it.

We might still get Kris Marshall if the rumors are true about him being a companion...

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    We might still get Kris Marshall if the rumors are true about him being a companion...
    This article originally talked about him being the doctor and regenerating at the end of this series, not the Christmas special. So, I wonder if that's true for Jodie, as well.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...die-whittaker/
    "I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye." Dr. Who (10th doctor and my favorite)

I thought we are going to see her at the end of the Christmas special.

+ Reply to Thread