+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1151525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

^^^^ ITA! Plus, we've already seen a Time Lord change genders, so there's a precedent set.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    But the Doctor is a father since Susan is his granddaughter. I am disappointed they chose a woman. This might finally be the end for me. I loved #11 right from the very beginning. Fish sticks & custard.
    Like you, I feel that the Doctor is a male. Always has been, always will be. They could do it with Missy because The Master is not the star of the show. His/her name is not the title of the show. The show's ratings have been in decline for years now and many see this as a stunt to pick them up. I think initially there might be curiosity from some and of course support from others, but for me, even if it is good, its not really Doctor Who. Even if I watch it regularly, it won't feel the same. Its kind of like watching Torchwood until the real thing came along. And I liked that show.

I really wish they could have brought in Romana or Susan. I doubt any of that will happen now.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I honestly wasn't surprised with the choice to have a female Doctor. It's been bandied about for years by newer fans of the show, so it was inevitable.

Plus, given she's the 13th Doctor - and the superstition weirdness happens with 13 (not necessarily bad luck), it adds to it for me. To me it's a bit funny they'd have this twist on that particular number.

This show is so popular internationally they would look at all options to try and draw in more people. While yes this leads to gimmicky decisions, and admittedly this is part of that gimmick, it has been known to work.

The ones who say that the Doctor being female in such vile and hateful ways (ones that would get you blocked from this site mind you for abuse of rules ) have been using James Bond as an example.

I hate to point it out to them, but while Bond has not been a female, I seem to remember the MASSIVE outrage when current Bond Daniel Craig was cast the following was said:

Too old, not dashing enough, too rough around the edges instead of suave, etc.

Some of those I agree with, especially with the claims Brosnan was removed for being "too old," when Craig, though I think younger than Brosnan LOOKS older, but in the end people are over all really liking Craig's portrayal.

Now - am I saying that Whittaker will be perfect as the Doctor? No, I don't, but I'm giving her a fair shot. I will say though it is interesting - to me anyway - she's already showing facially some similarity to Capaldi as far as expressions. Some of the still shots have that wide eyed wonder Capaldi does rather well.

I do hope she gets better scripts than we saw in some of Capaldi's era that brought his portrayal down, and ESPECIALLY nothing like the Pip and Jane Baker era that lead to Colin Baker's untimely dismissal in the role. Hearing C. Baker in the Big Finish audios, I have wondered how much longer it would've lasted past 27 series (seasons) intially if they had a. put him in a far better costume than the technicolor nightmare*, and b. had better scripts.

(*Disclaimer - I liked the coat. I think a lot of the problem I had with the costume was EVERYTHING was too busy. If they had put him in a more subdued waistcoat and trousers with the coat or the outlandish clothing with a more one note coat, i.e. prints but all in the same shade of color, it would've been better. Now the green shoes and orange spats however would need to be disintegrated by the Daleks).

The Colin Baker audios are some of my favorites. He really shines as a Doctor with good writing.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

If it succeeds great, if it doesn't The Doctor can regenerate. Its the beauty of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    If it succeeds great, if it doesn't The Doctor can regenerate. Its the beauty of the show.
    Agreed - I mean this is what they did (to I think a great fault) with Colin Baker when they thought he was why the show was doing poorly.

On the positive - at least they didn't pull an Eccleston and the information leaked far too soon. I still am amazed it didn't just flat out ruin the reboot right then.

Well that and:

a. We didn't have the running joke that "Brian Blessed is the Doctor" (and yes I know he's 80 but that joke still could be heard on occasion since the reboot of the show),

b. Kris Marshall isn't the Doctor (there was something off about him in the rumors), and

c. It will finally get people who have been whining about this idea for decades to finally shush some. Of course... watch them now complain if she has weak moments the stories aren't good, etc.

Of note, I think this reveal of the Doctor was far better done than for Capaldi. It just was far too much of a show and I think took away from the awe and mystery of a new Doctor.

Watching this reveal just felt - right to me, and that Whittaker can play the Doctor at least through body language.
    libgirl2 and Critical like this.

Critial, I didn't watch a lot of the ones with Matt Smith. But it wasn't because I wasn't happy with 10 being gone. Though, he was my favorite doctor. I tried to like Matt as 11 but just couldn't get into him. That and the fact that I think they let Clara stay on way too long. I just love Peter and Pearl and wish they could have had one more season. I'm thinking this will bring a freshness to Dr. Who but a lot of people don't see it this way. I don't care either way, as long as they're good in their role.
    Critical likes this.
    "I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye." Dr. Who (10th doctor and my favorite)

^^^ That was the regeneration I was most upset about (10 to 11) too I didn't want Tennant to leave and although I did eventually warm up to Matt Smith, he's always been my least favorite of the modern Doctors. Maybe if he'd come after Eccleston, I would have been happier with him. I don't want PC to leave because I feel like he really hit his groove in this last season and I want to see more. BUT, that being said, him leaving is his decision and I'm not going to hold it against Jodie. I'm certainly not going to be like one of those horrid people who claimed to be fans of the show but were openly nasty to Matt Smith, telling him to quit so they would rehire David Tennant. As if that would have happened anyway.

For me, MS was just TOO goofy. I never felt the gravitas I think the role needs. Yes, the Doctor can be silly, but there also has to be a sense of him (her!) carrying a lot of emotional weight under the surface. MS was great at physical comedy, but I never quite bought him in the really somber moments.

I had to stop reading the rude comments online about Jodie. I did read a comment from one person who summed it up for me pretty well when he asked one of the nasties, "So, you've accepted that the Doctor is a time traveling alien with two hearts who flies around in a police box, but it's gender that you're having trouble with?" Suspend disbelief and you'll be much happier watching this show!

Like I said upthread, I have high hopes and lots of confidence that Jodie's up to the job. I think Chris Chibnall has more power to sink the franchise. I have to believe he will do well, especially since he HAS been part of the Whoverse writing and co-producing Torchwood. He's not an outsider. It's just that the showrunner has a lot more power to sink the show than the lead performer. As libgirl pointed out, if Jodie isn't a good fit, they can just regenerate. With the showrunner, it's not as easy.

I never said anything rude or nasty. My opinion is that the Doctor should be a man. I loved Missy & my ultimate dream would have been for #12 to regenerate in her body.
    It's just I am tired of BBC re-re-reusing their actors especially when they are so well known in a different role. Next thing you know we will have Mary Berry coming in as a new Master!
    I do agree that Clara stood way too long but I LOVED Matt Smith's Doctor. He & River had chemistry plus I really loved Amy.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

+ Reply to Thread