+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3907677;
    We thought the exact same thing.

Jazzie - how about CC? I use that often, just because so many actors fail to enunciate properly.
    We do that all the time. We call it "lazy tv".
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3908076;
    We do that all the time. We call it "lazy tv".
    Oh - to me it feels lazier to not use CC, because with CC I have to actually sit up to see the scroll. Lol

Just seems like lots of actors mumble. Or maybe the audio levels are uneven. Seems like that's the way on a lot of shows/movies on tv too. Super loud during action scenes, can't hear a thing in the dramatic scenes. Dr. Who's no exception. We were cranking the volume up and down all night.

About last ep, it seemed a bit weird to know River is married to Dr Who in the future (last season revealed that) when he seems like he's her son in this season!

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3908073;
    He does have a granddaughter.
    He does? Would you elaborate, or would it be a spoiler?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3908807;
    Oh - to me it feels lazier to not use CC, because with CC I have to actually sit up to see the scroll. Lol

Just seems like lots of actors mumble. Or maybe the audio levels are uneven. Seems like that's the way on a lot of shows/movies on tv too. Super loud during action scenes, can't hear a thing in the dramatic scenes. Dr. Who's no exception. We were cranking the volume up and down all night.

About last ep, it seemed a bit weird to know River is married to Dr Who in the future (last season revealed that) when he seems like he's her son in this season!

He does? Would you elaborate, or would it be a spoiler?
    Very first Doctor was portrayed as an old man traveling with his granddaughter.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3908872;
    Very first Doctor was portrayed as an old man traveling with his granddaughter.
    Thanks for answering that. Her fate is a big question in Doctor Who cannon. Is she alive, did she die in the Time War, was she a Time Lord.... ??

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3908875;
    Thanks for answering that. Her fate is a big question in Doctor Who cannon. Is she alive, did she die in the Time War, was she a Time Lord.... ??

Yeap, and remember during the Tom Baker series where he traveled with Ramona, another Time Lord, and remember all the times he went to Galefrey? Makes you wonder about the entire timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3908891;
    Yeap, and remember during the Tom Baker series where he traveled with Ramona, another Time Lord, and remember all the times he went to Galefrey? Makes you wonder about the entire timeline.
    Yes, though Susan was left behind on a future earth, but it makes you think, wouldn't she had gone back to Gallifrey ar some point? And in the books covering the missing years, Romana is president of Gallifrey, so was she wiped out? Is River a future Romana? Or the questions and complications!

saw the Venice episode. Rory, Amy's fiance, joins the team. I am sorry but this series is boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3910843;
    saw the Venice episode. Rory, Amy's fiance, joins the team. I am sorry but this series is boring.
    I enjoyed the episode. For many of us, it was a throwback to classic Who.

Never watched Dr Who prior to Christopher Eccleston's season. I had heard how great it was (from male nerds, during college, to be blunt) but the few seconds I saw of an episode, I just thought "boring" and couldn't continue. I do like the less than expensive production values of the original Star Trek (won't watch later seasons), but in the Who series it is unwatchable, for me. So for me, if this season is a throwback, it won't be a good thing.

The vampire episode was okay. It had its moments, but then I liked the old Hammer horror films and the aesthetic for this one is so similar. Long haired, beautiful brides of Dracula, in an old castle, roaming about in their nightgowns wanting a warm snack off the hapless male visitor. In fact it might've been better had they left out the alien/technology aspect and just gone straight for 'creepy' all the way through.

The writing isn't as good this season. Lots of dropped stitches. What about the pirhana from outer space still in the Venice canals? They're obviously still hungry...

Agree that Amy's fiance is boring.

Thanks for the backstory about the granddaughter and even a female time lord. This might be a great time to bring them back in - this season could use some spice! And surprises.

I've peeked a bit, on youtube (this year, no entire episodes though - drat) and the upcoming episode might be interesting - then again, there's just no sense of urgency in any eps so far. I dunno why. And Matt Smith looks so geeky...Which is strange, because in a downloaded episode of Diary of a Call Girl, (you can see his clip on youtube), he's very handsome! He plays a guy who falls in love with her. No sex scene, as such. But they sure ugly him up on Who!

June 5, 2010 - episode: Amy's Choice.

I actually liked this episode; the first so far, I think partly because Rory was not a dull mindless twit.

+ Reply to Thread