+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546474849505152 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Normally I wouldn't play show and tell with my Christmas presents, but I'm still tickled pink about this coffee mug:
    https://society6.com/product/doctor-who-6mu_mug#27=199
    I think the artist did an amazing job of capturing each Doctor. It makes me smile every time I use it. I got some Jammie Dodgers over the holiday at an English grocer near my hometown, so it was like double Doctor Who time having one with my tea!

This site has a ton of Doctor Who (and everything else!) merchandise, from t-shirts and mugs to prints and phone cases and all kinds of other things. I think this print is going to be my next acquisition:
    https://society6.com/product/time-tr...irt_print#1=45

(This is a completely UNpaid endorsement )

With Steven Moffatt stepping down after the next season and Jenna leaving, there was some question as to whether or not Peter Capaldi would stay on, but he's signed for one more season:
    Peter Capaldi Will Return To Doctor Who, Get The Details

I'm REALLY unhappy that we're not going to see any new episodes until next year, nor am I happy about the possibility of Peter leaving after that. I feel like he's just hitting his stride in the role. The Christmas special was ridiculously good. I want to see more episodes like that, especially if River is involved!
    Doctor Who: Peter Capaldi Talks Series 10, Chris Chibnall, & New Companion | Den of Geek
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Capaldi has to be general because of the contract and 10 is the last one guaranteed.

I think it's the media wanting to push him out due to "tradition" or "because Tennant left when RTD did" but reality is Capaldi is his own man and if he enjoys the role and wants to work with the new producer (and reverse) he can. Fans shouldn't pressure him to leave because Tennant left with RTD. (I wanted to throw my phone when I read a story about someone a possibility for Doctor because he took a pic at an event that looks like one of the 12th Doctor promos).

And - there were definitely am previous Doctors who had more than one producer. Tom Baker the most likely here because he served seven years.

I think Capaldi will likely stay with Chinball for a season honestly. Capaldi appears to be more flexible with directors and producers and it may be good to have an established Doctor lead the producer into a new era. I seem to remember many fans complaining how jarring it was to have new everything when Matt Smith's era started. (Though as fickle as some newer fans are, wouldn't surprise me in the now 180 love of the choices. Case in point the want to fire RTD for the farting aliens, but when Moffat took over RTD did a fantastic job with them and RTD could do no wrong. /rolls eyes).

WOW Critical those are amazing Who items. Think I will pick something up for my son for Valentine's Day.

What I have read is we are only getting a Dr Who Christmas Special this year and then a mini season in Spring 2017. I would be thrilled if the next few episodes were with River as his companion then start fresh with a new Doctor then eventually a new companion. I have also heard that David may possibly come back as the Doctor. I have not heard Tom Baker mentioned but that would be awesome too. Not as many people have seem original Who.

Chinball is interesting. IIRC didn't he do Torchwood? The first 2 seasons of that show were incredible but that last season...phewww....forgettable .

For the record I adored Matt Smith.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Critical, I love the mug!

I really wish we didn't have to wait a whole year for more Who. I agree that Peter has really hit his stride with his Doctor. His first season he was supposed to be kind of stiff and grumpy.... he still is grumpy but he is a lot looser and relaxed.

And I don't want to see Tennant back. You get your turn and you're done. Time for the audios.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    WOW Critical those are amazing Who items. Think I will pick something up for my son for Valentine's Day.

What I have read is we are only getting a Dr Who Christmas Special this year and then a mini season in Spring 2017. I would be thrilled if the next few episodes were with River as his companion then start fresh with a new Doctor then eventually a new companion. I have also heard that David may possibly come back as the Doctor. I have not heard Tom Baker mentioned but that would be awesome too. Not as many people have seem original Who.
    Tennant and Catherine Tate are doing 3 Big Finish stories as the Doctor and Donna. Can't link here, but if you search you can get updates. (Heard the teasers, it sounds good actually). I've NOT heard rumors of him returning to TV in the role and I think if he did as the 13th it'd be bad luck and pandering to Tennant fans.

That said, I'm not against an older Doctor (classic Who) returning. I have heard Sylvester McCoy (7th) express interest, but just him. Tom Baker I think is unlikely due to his age and the demands of the role in present day. Even the action during his era was more sedate in comparison.

Season 10 is 12 episodes like the previous one.

Chinball is interesting. IIRC didn't he do Torchwood? The first 2 seasons of that show were incredible but that last season...phewww....forgettable .

For the record I adored Matt Smith.
    Oh I know you and many - including me - adored Smith in the role. I'm referring to some extreme die-hard Tennant fans who think he is only one who can play Doctor and everyone else is a poser.

Chinball has done work for both DW and Torchwood. As far as the last season, part of the reason Torchwoid did so bad was they had America help film. I noticed the quality drop.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67yfZHpuWqg

1:33 =

REALLY unhappy that Netflix blew it and lost the rights to the show. I'M NOT paying for Amazon Prime, dammit! I'll have to save up and start buying the DVDs....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

WE have been buying the DVDs for years now.

Wish I had the budget to allow for it, but I just don't. I didn't NEED to buy them because I could watch them on Netflix. I just can't bear to give Amazon any more money. I'm already annoyed that there are actually products you now can't buy without a Prime membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Wish I had the budget to allow for it, but I just don't. I didn't NEED to buy them because I could watch them on Netflix. I just can't bear to give Amazon any more money. I'm already annoyed that there are actually products you now can't buy without a Prime membership.
    I would say 90% of the ones we own we bought each other for presents for birthdays or Christmas. My husband likes to watch them while he works out. I noticed that with amazon. I saw something I wanted and I had to join prime to get it. No thank you.

We have a new companion!
    Doctor Who: Pearl Mackie named as new companion

Pearl Mackie has been named as the new Doctor Who companion alongside Peter Capaldi's Time Lord in the Tardis.

The Londoner's role was announced on BBC One during half time of the FA Cup semi-final match between Everton and Manchester United.

Mackie, 28, replaces Jenna Coleman, whose character Clara Oswald left the show in 2015.

Filming for the next series of the long-running science fiction show will start this year but air in 2017.

Mackie, who graduated from Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in 2010, played Anne-Marie Frasier in Doctors in 2014 and is currently performing in the National Theatre's West End production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.

"I'm incredibly excited to be joining the Doctor Who family," she said. "It's such an extraordinary British institution, I couldn't be prouder to call the Tardis my home."

'Genuine delight'

She added: "Peter Capaldi is such a brilliant actor, and his Doctor is such a wacky and wonderful character, I can't wait to see what adventures are in store for him and Bill throughout time and space."

Mackie said her new character "Bill" was "wicked", describing her as "cool, strong, sharp, a little bit vulnerable with a bit of geekiness thrown in".

Capaldi said: "It is a genuine delight to welcome Pearl Mackie to Doctor Who. A fine, fine actress with a wonderful zest and charm, she's a refreshing addition to the Tardis and will bring a universe of exciting new possibilities to The Doctor's adventures."

Doctor Who, which was first shown in 1963, is heading for its 10th season since it was reintroduced to schedules in 2005 after a gap of nine years.

Coleman joined the show in 2012, and starred alongside two Doctors, Matt Smith and Capaldi, the 12th Doctor who joined in 2014.

She asked to be written out and left to take on the role of Queen Victoria in a major ITV drama series.

In January, it was announced that the head writer and executive producer of Doctor Who, Steven Moffat, was stepping down from the show.

The next series will be his last, after which he will be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall.
    Doctor Who: Pearl Mackie named as new companion - BBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLficIRInM

Based on just a few minutes, I like her. Looking forward to new episodes, but it's going to be a LONG wait, I fear. He did say they were going back to 2017
    Miss_Griss likes this.

+ Reply to Thread