+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Okay I still have an open mind but I am still not warming up to Peter Capaldi. It could be that he is such a drastic change from Matt Smith. On to next Saturday.

Still have no clue who Missy is.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Okay I still have an open mind but I am still not warming up to Peter Capaldi. It could be that he is such a drastic change from Matt Smith. On to next Saturday.

Still have no clue who Missy is.
    And I saw flashes of Tom Baker. I will say this, I already don't care for this Danny Pink. I just wasn't into this whole soldier crying bit etc.... Why can't he just be a normal guy? And I want a companion that travels full time with the Doctor.
    Critical likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I love Twelve. After watching the first episode a few times, I finally realized the moment I was "in." It was the scene in the restaurant/larder where the Doctor and Clara are doing their back and forth thing over his smelly coat. Their chemistry was just bang-on. When he says that he bought the coat in a shop and she says, "No." =

No way could Missy be River. If you want River, you go with the best and get Alex Kingston. I don't think we'll see her this season, but I'm holding out hope that she'll come back in the future. With all the timey-wimey stuff on this show, I refuse to believe they couldn't make it happen if they wanted her back.

Missy is some new big bad they've brought on to challenge the Doctor. So far, I find the character kind of annoying. Plus, like I mentioned above, she resembled Lara Pulver so much that I keep thinking of Sherlock and Irene Adler.

I actually like Danny Pink so far. It will be interesting to see the Doctor interact with a man who might not be cowed by him. I mean, neither Rory nor Mickey were very strong when they first came on the scene. They were both always sort of second fiddle to the women in their lives. Danny seems like a guy who would stand up to the Doctor and maybe not even like him. Of all the things we've seen companions do - at least since 2005 - we've never seen one of them actually fall in love and try to have a normal relationship. If Clara's been traveling or involved with the Doctor for 6+ years (she was 21 in the beginning and we know she's now 27), so she might be yearning for a normal relationship.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Dh and I think Missy might be the Black Guardian. She isn't River.
    Critical likes this.

I like that idea Pulling from the "mythology" of the show is good. I'm sure PC would be thrilled, since he's such a fan of the show. Whoever Missy is, I don't think River has anything do to with it.

I love the story about how, when they were filming the explosions in the Dalek battle in this last episode, Peter came to set to watch, even though he didn't have scenes that day.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I bet PC is thrilled if this is the case. I also think its important for new fans to know the old.

I told my husband that with Peter taking over the role, its like one of us long time fans. We who geeked out with the old show, who (in my area) stayed up late, school be damned, just to see another episode. In one way he IS us.

I'm liking Peter, but I think they've made the Doctor at tad "too" alien. Even Hartnell wasn't quite so distant -though in fairness he was through is first couple of stories. I'd think Peter will warm up to be a bit more like the Jon Pertwee Doctor - tough, a fighter and a defender, but care about his companions.

I like Danny Pink, and some of his reactions to being in the military and not wanting to talk about it are indeed realistic. My brother has served overseas in Afghanistan, and he has mentioned experiences he didn't want to talk about. And someone who is male on this show working to date a girl and the girl flirt with him instead of being the alpha is a welcome change.

As far as Missy? - honestly I'd be surprised if she's anyone other than the Rani. Her facial expressions and severe look are almost dead set to Kate O'Mara's Rani, and though the original was cold and calculating and clinical while Missy isn't, when you regenerate, you gain some emotions, but you also keep others including memories.

Also Missy means bee - and it's based on a mythological princess of Crete transformed to a bee after learning to collect honey.

She is collecting people in her "heaven" and the Rani collected specimens throughout history one time ("Time and the Rani") for her experiments.

Oh good grief - now I've gotten into the name dissection to try and figure out who certain people are.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Okay Rani would make sense. I didn't even think in that direction. No I can't see Missy being River, River is just saved in the library and that is where she needs to stay. No one but Alex should ever play River.
    I am still keeping an open mind though.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Okay Rani would make sense. I didn't even think in that direction. No I can't see Missy being River, River is just saved in the library and that is where she needs to stay. No one but Alex should ever play River.
    I am still keeping an open mind though.
    No, it's not River - she's used all her regenerations. They made that clear when Melody (the older one) mentioned regenerating in New York, then River, and then River clearly gave all her regenerations to the Eleventh Doctor.

Of course Moffat *could* try and circumvent this and say the original baby had regenerated to Missy then to a little girl then Melody and the like, but I don't think they'd go that convoluted. Well that and I feel it'd further muddy the waters of River's shooting the Doctor dressed as an astronaut.

I don't think we would see River this soon, if at all anymore.

+ Reply to Thread