+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Okay saw it in the theater, kind of disappointed. While I could easily see David Tennent pulling off the dialog; Peter Capaldi seems a bit too mature. My son kind of thought the same thing. I loved the Amy reference but River knew The Doctor better than Clara ever will. Loved the Matt Smith cameo but that even seemed like an afterthought.

They changed too much to try to make it familiar.

I am wondering about "Missy"; Mrs Delphox. That garden scene looked very similar to the garden scene in The Girl Who Waited.

There was a little girl dressed up tonight as a Weeping Angel at Panera.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post

How cool is that?!

I confess I'm a little confused. I had no problem with the Doctor being somewhat older.

Am I mistaken or weren't several of the doctors quite a bit older than Tenant, whom I loved, or Matt Smith? I know the ones in the first bunch were 'cause I looked them up and found their birth dates were 1908, 1913, and such, and they didn't play the doctor until the 1960's or 70's.

I find it to be a nice change and I'm looking forward to the spin that Capaldi will put on it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I confess I'm a little confused. I had no problem with the Doctor being somewhat older.

Am I mistaken or weren't several of the doctors quite a bit older than Tenant, whom I loved, or Matt Smith? I know the ones in the first bunch were 'cause I looked them up and found their birth dates were 1908, 1913, and such, and they didn't play the doctor until the 1960's or 70's.

I find it to be a nice change and I'm looking forward to the spin that Capaldi will put on it.
    Yes, but not since the reboot in 2005. Lots of viewers - especially outside the UK - weren't exposed to the other Doctors. The ratings grew with Tennant and again with Smith, so there are probably millions who only know those two as the Doctor. They ONLY know the young ones, so even though Capaldi is younger than some of the previous actors, he's just older in comparison to the recent ones.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Okay saw it in the theater, kind of disappointed. While I could easily see David Tennent pulling off the dialog; Peter Capaldi seems a bit too mature.
    Whenever the Doctor regenerates he is a bit loopy for awhile. I don't mind the humor, but I have a feeling he won't be quite as silly from here forward. NOt that I mind.

Cool about the little girl!
    Critical likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    How cool is that?!
    She was adorable! I wanted to take a picture of her but thought it might come up a bit creepy. Most of the people at Panera had no clue why she was standing there dressed in grey tulle with her hands covering her face. Her dad was dressed as #11. I fended off her glare with my package of Dodgey Jammers until I realized they only work on Dalecks.

Strax did an opening scene where he described the previous Doctors which was cool. They also did a behind the scenes after the show was over.

I did binge watch the first 9 Doctors on Netflix this past winter. Some I loves while others not so much. Each were just so much different. Who knows! I am wondering whether the producers decided to add Matt just so the fans accept Capaldi as their new Doctor. His appearance did seem kind of superbulous. I can't see Clara staying on after this season though. I am still keeping an open mind & heart though
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I love this video of Peter and Jenna with a little fan dressed as a Dalek:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjoAa3wBaDk

You can't really hear all of what they're saying, so the girl's mother explained in comments. Her daughter wasn't happy and wanted Matt back as the Doctor. He scrolls through his phone and shows the girl a picture:
    PC: "Look! Can you see, who is there?"
    girl: "You, Matt and Jenna"
    PC: "They say it's okay for me to be the Doctor, so I hope you think it would be okay for me to be the Doctor too."

SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

The beginning of this is just kind of a boilerplate recap of the first episode, but after that, there are some pretty good insights. I don't agree with all of it, but I though she made some good points.
    Coffee or Chips? Doctor Who:

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post

Yes, but not since the reboot. Doctors older than Tennant (33) - Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Tom Baker, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, and Christopher Eccleston.

And Matt's younger than ALL of the actors when he was cast at age 26, beating the previous youngest - Peter Davison - by three years. There have only been two actors under age 30 on the show in the role of the Doctor.

I realize too I haven't given my opinion on Capaldi yet. Honestly, he's a refreshing change from these younger Doctors (though I did like Matt Smith, he felt more alien than Tennant's version). He's also very good in the role, though a little rough around the edges. That said, it's more because that's the normal first episode for a Doctor after regeneration.

We still have the lovely people who still opine for David Tennant and say this guy is going to ruin the show because he was old. Honestly - I'm GLAD they weren't around in '63 when the show first started - because we'd never seen it blossom into a 50-plus year run of the show in some form or fashion (usually novels/audios between '89-'96, then '96-'05).

As far as the titles - I like them. They were wise to use the fan's inspiration in there and give it a new twist. (I'm guessing though the first Clara season titles would've worked for Capaldi, it's almost a "special 50th anniversary" style title doing it for one season). It's interesting they've put in a bit of a twist to the Trial of a Timelord theme in my opinion - in that the "ooo eee ooo" is a bit higher pitched. Interesting too they just use his eyes and part of his nose in the focus on the Doctor. Hasn't been done with a Doctor in any season with the Doctor's face in the titles and only once ever - the Master's eyes before the time vortex and Doctor Who in the 1996 TV movie.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 08-29-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    Florimel likes this.

Missy could be the dark River Song??? Please say it isn't so...wait...when was River not dark? If we have to let go of Alex Kingston as River then please just leave her in the library on CAL.
    -Audrey Hepburn.

+ Reply to Thread