+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Jadewarlock, one of the audios I was listening to had Mel say she doesn't scream!!! I agree that Colin Baker really comes into his own on audio. I find myself really enjoying his Doctor much more then the show.

Critical, you don't need to go chronologically, but if you wanted to start with Pertwee (3) and go from there. I loved him with Jo Grant. Some of the old ones are good, but as Jadewarlock said there aren't many Troughton's left. If you want to see a very good one of his Tomb of the Cybermen is excellent. For the first Doctor, An Unearthly Child is the one that started it all.

Also, not sure how many of you watched the movie An Adventure in Space and Time about Hartnell and the creation of the show. Highly recommended. I wept at the end.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Jadewarlock, one of the audios I was listening to had Mel say she doesn't scream!!! I agree that Colin Baker really comes into his own on audio. I find myself really enjoying his Doctor much more then the show.
    I agree - though she did mention in "The One Doctor" (a Christmas comedy) that she could scream the paint off of walls - a clear barb at the late JNT who along with Pip and Jane Baker insisted she needed to do it a lot. It's amazing IMHO she hasn't had permanent damage to her vocal cords.

On C. Baker, I actually like him in the series as well. I don't think Peri was a good companion alongside him (and that's her "American" accent aside - Nicola Bryant was far better with Davison, both TV and audio), and then the costume itself. When you don't see a lot of the coat, say in "The Two Doctors" it isn't as bad. IMHO he did very well with the atrocious stories he was given, but the above plus the BBC deciding to skip a season on them (there was supposed to be a season between the two he did) was what lead them to sack him instead of who I felt were the real problem (the writers and JNT).

Critical, you don't need to go chronologically, but if you wanted to start with Pertwee (3) and go from there. I loved him with Jo Grant. Some of the old ones are good, but as Jadewarlock said there aren't many Troughton's left. If you want to see a very good one of his Tomb of the Cybermen is excellent. For the first Doctor, An Unearthly Child is the one that started it all.
    I'll also suggest for the First Doctor "The Aztecs" or either Dalek story, and for Troughton "The Seeds of Doom" which features the Ice Warriors.

Also, not sure how many of you watched the movie An Adventure in Space and Time about Hartnell and the creation of the show. Highly recommended. I wept at the end.
    I also thought this was good libgirl - they did well with the casting, especially at how all of them were quite eerily similar to their real life counterparts. The exceptions to me were the actors they cast to play William Russell, Anneke Wills, Jackie Lane, and a couple of the other actors simply standing with the actor playing Hartnell for studio shots for his later years (the original trio aside). They didn't look the part, and at least one of them had the wrong gear on for it being the start of a season ("Lane's" outfit was for "The Celestial Toymaker," which was the second to LAST episode seen in series 3).

What is also fun with this story is that you have William Russell and several other actors from the series make cameos. I still think they need to have Russell and Caroline Ford (Susan) appear in an actual Doctor Who episode in the new series - he is the oldest actor from the very start of the series still alive, and both were there from day one.

I loved The One Doctor! Hysterical!

I didn't mind Colin Baker as the Doctor, I just felt his stories were poor and his time felt so disjointed. I do blame JNT for the chaos that ensued with him. His audios have proven his humor and ability.

The Aztecs is very good. I was surprised by how much I liked it.

I didn't mind the actor who played William Russell, the others I barely remember. Jessica Raine was fantastic as Verity! When I saw she was cast I thought it was a perfect choice. I think it should be required viewing for any fan (especially new ones) of the show.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The first full-length trailer is out! I can't believe we have to wait 6 weeks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tivq...ature=youtu.be
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The first full-length trailer is out! I can't believe we have to wait 6 weeks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tivq...ature=youtu.be
    I'm liking what I'm seeing - it does have a feel a bit more of the older Sarah Jane/Fourth Doctor era (and even Third with all three of his companions) - some darker stories some lighter ones. There are also some interesting colors inside the TARDIS which I think it good.

But it's the voices that really intrigue me too - ex. Is the Dalek voice really Davros or is it maybe even the Oswin Dalek? (Though it could be both based on the differences in the voices - One is traditional Dalek, the other is Davros as he is in the final two stories of the Doctor/Donna era).

If we're lucky we will have to wait six weeks in the states - there was a lot of gripes from the UK last year that America saw it the same week as they did. If it effected ratings and sales, they'll probably have us at least a week off the current episode.

So he is over 2,000 years old. I just have to erase the image of him from Torchwood.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    So he is over 2,000 years old. I just have to erase the image of him from Torchwood.
    At least it's Torchwood - a lot of folks have to erase their memories of him as a foul-mouthed Malcolm Tucker in the BBC sitcom The Thick of It. There have even been parodies of him as the Doctor playing the Doctor like Tucker.

I am hoping that there is a coincidence with Craig Ferguson leaving his talk show and Capaldi being cast as the Doctor - I'd love to see Ferguson have a role in the show while Capaldi is there. I doubt it but who knows?

I just hope Capaldi comes on Craig's show before he's done. I had hoped he would be at Comic Con this year because San Diego is just a hop, skip and a jump from LA, but there's no Doctor Who panel at CC this year.

Craig's always said - even before PC was cast - that he'd love to guest on Doctor Who. I'd love to see it. He's actually a pretty good actor.

I don't think Craig leaving his show has anything to do with Doctor Who. If he was to be on the show, it would probably just be for a one or two episode arc.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I just hope Capaldi comes on Craig's show before he's done. I had hoped he would be at Comic Con this year because San Diego is just a hop, skip and a jump from LA, but there's no Doctor Who panel at CC this year.
    What I'm hoping is that they're still just busy filming things and had to skip for that reason.

I know I'm going to be rather blunt, but it wouldn't surprise me after the tirades some (not all) of the UK fans had about how "How dare you allow America to watch the 50th anniversary teaser first at Comic Con first when we pay our licenses and they don't" and "Moffat was out of line and (insert some rude word here) by threatening people to not to post up YouTube videos of the videos or they wouldn't do it anymore" - which lead to the "Doesn't Moffat look tired?" diatribe (translation: "Fire Moffat - we want RTD and Tennant back" and based off an episode where the Tenth Doctor used "doesn't she look tired" to get rid of a PM) and honest to gosh threats on him, they chose just to pull a Malcolm Tucker, say what he'd say and just not attend. That way, no one could complain, even though most of us didn't get to see it either.

(A disclaimer - I don't feel everyone in the UK - or around the world for that matter as not everyone can afford Comic Con - felt that way or said that, but it does take a few sour apples to ruin it for everyone).

Craig's always said - even before PC was cast - that he'd love to guest on Doctor Who. I'd love to see it. He's actually a pretty good actor.

I don't think Craig leaving his show has anything to do with Doctor Who. If he was to be on the show, it would probably just be for a one or two episode arc.
    I wanted to be an optimist on Craig's leaving his CBS show - what I fear is that he's leaving because he wasn't chosen to replace Letterman (in fairness, I do think they made a mistake with Colbert to compete against Jimmy Fallon, because the latter is better known nationally, having been on SNL).

And yes, I'd really love to see him in a role in "DW" even if it's under heavy makeup. One of my favorite comedians from overseas - Ardal O'Hanlon (best known as George Sunday in "My Hero" and Father Dougal McGuire in "Father Ted") was in the show, playing Thomas Kincade Brannigan in "Gridlock." He was the cat person who along with his wife pick up the Doctor and rescue him. Hearing Ferguson in his role again for "How to Train Your Dragon/2" I think he could do the same thing for "DW."

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I wanted to be an optimist on Craig's leaving his CBS show - what I fear is that he's leaving because he wasn't chosen to replace Letterman (in fairness, I do think they made a mistake with Colbert to compete against Jimmy Fallon, because the latter is better known nationally, having been on SNL).

And yes, I'd really love to see him in a role in "DW" even if it's under heavy makeup. One of my favorite comedians from overseas - Ardal O'Hanlon (best known as George Sunday in "My Hero" and Father Dougal McGuire in "Father Ted") was in the show, playing Thomas Kincade Brannigan in "Gridlock." He was the cat person who along with his wife pick up the Doctor and rescue him. Hearing Ferguson in his role again for "How to Train Your Dragon/2" I think he could do the same thing for "DW."
    My feeling is that he's just tired of doing his show. Also, he gets so little support from CBS. They rarely did anything to promote his show. He's like the "forgotten late night host." I think he probably just wants to do something else now. I definitely see a difference in his enthusiasm level between 5+ years ago and now. He's not like Letterman, who pretty much can do only what he's doing. I mean, he never was much of a stand-up, truth be told. I think doing a daily show is probably exhausting and limiting, especially if you DO do other things like stand-up and acting. Plus, his kids are still young. He probably wants to spend some more time with his family.

I'm really hopeful that we'll see him opposite PC's Doctor. He's been SO supportive of the show. I feel like they kind of OWE him a guest spot.

I'm still sad that they put the kibbutz on his Doctor Who musical performance a few years ago. The dress rehearsal video is excellent, complete with cameo from Matt Smith.

ETA: In case anyone hasn't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sK5d3oshp8
    Last edited by Critical; 07-15-2014 at 04:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread