+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

I know my problem with Graceland is trying to not think of Anna Gunn as Skyler White. It is strange to hear David speak "American". Funny I never thought of any of the Doctors as being "hot". They were just The Doctor. I know I am going to miss #11 & River. Did you ever see the first day/last day mini episode?
    Last edited by PA Snow Bunny; 07-02-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

You guys are killing me with the Graceland stuff. It really is called Gracepoint.

I'm rewatching the Donna Noble era. I have to say, really not my favorite companion. That distinction is split between Martha Jones and Amy Pond. Talking new series era, btw. I do love Clara though. I've got my fingers crossed for good chemistry between her and 12. I loved her with 11.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    You guys are killing me with the Graceland stuff. It really is called Gracepoint.

I'm rewatching the Donna Noble era. I have to say, really not my favorite companion. That distinction is split between Martha Jones and Amy Pond. Talking new series era, btw. I do love Clara though. I've got my fingers crossed for good chemistry between her and 12. I loved her with 11.
    To be fair I have a barn swallow nest over my doorway, and the adults seem to think I'm a cat and dive bomb me. Add to it the story about how they may take away the planes from Graceland in Memphis, Tenn., you can see my confusion - I'd rather go to a Gracepoint to have peace from birds and not Graceland where planes will make me think of said birds.

Donna is admittedly my favorite of the companions with the Tennant Doctor, because it brought back the friends on wild adventure aspect to it and not all this romance stuff (requited or unrequited).

I'll be honest, I don't think they created Rose with the intention she was going to be dealing with a new actor in the role of the Doctor. She to me felt more of a match with Eccleston than Tennant, and the companion falling in love with the Doctor aspect to me felt a little bit forced. If it had been Eccleston in the second season with her, I would've felt the bit a lot more sincere on the romance aspect.

Of note, I also felt this with Bonnie Langford being cast as Mel, because Mel was a better match with the Sixth Doctor than the Seventh. She was to me more positive and less annoying with the Sixth Doctor - still is in the audios IMHO. But I don't think that was her fault - it was the decision to fire Colin Baker, otherwise had he continued on with the next series, it would've been fine. You could almost tell Mel was a bit out of place with the Seventh - there are contrasts and compliments, but this one was a jarring difference that rivaled Fifth and Adric (though I enjoy the Mel and Seventh Doctor stories more).

That said, when I saw Clara for the first time - as Clara, not Oswin or the Victorian version, I had a feeling they cast her specifically on the chance that there was going to be a transition to a new Doctor so they cast someone who they felt would be able to work with a new actor. From the smallest bit we've seen in the teaser trailer, I think we'll have someone who will be able to easily work through the transition phase and be likable.

Admittedly time will tell if this transition will go the way of Sarah Jane Smith traveling with the Third and Fourth Doctor (good) or Peri traveling with the Fifth and Sixth (not good).

Yes I know it is Gracepoint & not Graceland. Blonde moment. I really do hope to warm up to Clara. I still just don't understand how she knows every Doctor just as River did. Sorry but I will miss Matt & Alex.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Donna is admittedly my favorite of the companions with the Tennant Doctor, because it brought back the friends on wild adventure aspect to it and not all this romance stuff (requited or unrequited).

Of note, I also felt this with Bonnie Langford being cast as Mel, because Mel was a better match with the Sixth Doctor than the Seventh. She was to me more positive and less annoying with the Sixth Doctor - still is in the audios IMHO.
    I like Donna for the same reason.... she was his mate, his pal.... it felt more of a throw back to the old series because we didn't have that romance/unrequited love thing. For me it was a bit of a break and I thought they were hysterical together. I also loved Donna's growth. When she "lost" her time with the Doctor I mourned. She had matured so much from the early person we saw.

Was not a fan of Mel on the show, but I LOVE her on the audios with Colin Baker.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I liked Donna the more she changed as her time with the Doctor progressed. I didn't like her at the beginning or at the end when she went back to "normal." She and Jackie were too similar and I never really warmed to Jackie much either.

I don't mind the male-female thing with the Doctor and his companion as long as it doesn't become the focus. I mean really, how could ANY woman not be a little in love with David Tennant? I always suspected Donna would have gone there if he'd made a move. They became great friends because he made it clear at the outset that it would never be more than friendship.

I liked the flirtiness between 11 and Clara. Sort of a grade school thing that I found entertaining.

The thing I love about this show is the different relationships and how no Doctor has the same relationship with any companion. I'm looking forward to seeing 12 and Clara. I really love Jenna, so I'm eager to see her with Peter.

I'm still re-watching the new series and am just finishing season 6. I remembered all over again how NOT happy I was with Matt Smith when he started. I missed DT so much and didn't want him to leave. DT is still my favorite Doctor, but I grew to love and enjoy Matt as the Doctor too.

One of these days I really will have to go back and watch the old series. It never aired where I was growing up or, at least, I never knew that it did. I'm sure my brother would have found it if it had, so I would have seen it. We didn't get to watch much TV in our house growing up - maybe an hour a night and that was it.....except for the 30 minutes of All My Children I got at lunchtime and the 30 minutes of General Hospital I got after school at my babysitter's house.
    Hyper likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

One of these days I really will have to go back and watch the old series. It never aired where I was growing up or, at least, I never knew that it did. I'm sure my brother would have found it if it had, so I would have seen it. We didn't get to watch much TV in our house growing up - maybe an hour a night and that was it.....except for the 30 minutes of All My Children I got at lunchtime and the 30 minutes of General Hospital I got after school at my babysitter's house.
    If you want to go back to the old series, I would advise starting with the Tom Baker ones, especially him with Sarah Jane. They were such great "mates"! After Baker, I would go either with Davison or Pertwee. Then check out some Troughton and Hartnell. Colin Baker I would go with Trail of a Time Lord.... and finally, I pretty much avoid Sylvester McCoy only really watching his Dalek episode. Ace was a wasted companion, but his series stories are perplexing and not in a good way, IMHO>
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I like Donna for the same reason.... she was his mate, his pal.... it felt more of a throw back to the old series because we didn't have that romance/unrequited love thing. For me it was a bit of a break and I thought they were hysterical together. I also loved Donna's growth. When she "lost" her time with the Doctor I mourned. She had matured so much from the early person we saw.

Was not a fan of Mel on the show, but I LOVE her on the audios with Colin Baker.
    I felt that Catherine Tate was hurt a bit due to Tennant's choice to be in Hamlet and them scheduling the series to help with that theater performance. She would've stayed another full season had he not done that, and I think we'd had a better sendoff. They *could* bring Donna back if they wanted to, but I have a feeling that won't happen given that Moffat tends to want to stay away from the JNT era (River doesn't count - she was created in one of the stories he wrote during RTD's era.) I will say that IMHO Tate brought new life into the US version of "The Office" though when Carrell left - I watched the series again when she entered into the show.

I think what hurt Mel besides the sudden change of Doctors was that John Nathan Turner insisted she scream so loud paint could curl off the walls.

When she was asked to be in the Big Finish series, she told them bluntly she'd love to do it but she would ONLY do it if Mel no longer screamed. I think that has helped out tremendously - from right off the bat with Fires of Vulcan. Colin Baker also has had a major Renaissance with the audios in my honest opinion - and would love to get another one of his audios with the proper music for his tenure now, and maybe one with Evelyn as his companion (if not Mel).

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    If you want to go back to the old series, I would advise starting with the Tom Baker ones, especially him with Sarah Jane. They were such great "mates"! After Baker, I would go either with Davison or Pertwee. Then check out some Troughton and Hartnell. Colin Baker I would go with Trail of a Time Lord.... and finally, I pretty much avoid Sylvester McCoy only really watching his Dalek episode. Ace was a wasted companion, but his series stories are perplexing and not in a good way, IMHO>
    So, I shouldn't go chronologically? Not that I'd be able to watch all of them anyway. I'm obviously constrained by what's available, both on Netflix and just period.

I read an interview with Matt Smith and he REALLY does not want them to bring back River for 12. I guess he feels possessive. Frankly though, I'd love to see Alex with Peter. There's absolutely a way they could bring her back.

So, I shouldn't go chronologically? Not that I'd be able to watch all of them anyway. I'm obviously constrained by what's available, both on Netflix and just period.

I read an interview with Matt Smith and he REALLY does not want them to bring back River for 12. I guess he feels possessive. Frankly though, I'd love to see Alex with Peter. There's absolutely a way they could bring her back.
    Mind you I speak for myself, but the chronologically or not is up to you. I personally went third Doctor, seventh, the Five Doctors Special, the Fourth Doctor, first, second, sixth, eighth, I even watched the 10th Doctor before the ninth.

I would probably recommend the color episodes (third Doctor onward) first then the black and white ones. Not that the earlier ones are weaker, but a. there are more historicals with the first Doctor and b. there aren't as many complete video stories of the second Doctor, so if you don't listen to a lot of audios and like visuals, he will be harder to watch/listen.

Will say what was suggested too is good advice - the Tom Baker/Elisabeth Sladen/(earlier in his tenure Ian Marter) era is very good and some of the best stories in the earlier run of the series. The Third Doctor era (with Liz, Jo and Sarah Jane Smith) is also good.

As far as Matt Smith not wanting Alex to return as River - it's his preference, and admittedly I think they wrote her last bit as a closure to the storyline, but with just enough of a crack open to allow her to return if they chose. I personally don't want her to return only because she'd become too much of a crutch like the Master or the Daleks became in the later years of the first run of the show ('63-'89) but if they bring her back, it will be fun to see her work with the Capaldi Doctor.

+ Reply to Thread