+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

I love Clara and her "clever boy." I liked her right from the start when we met her as Oswin.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Its not that I don't like Clara, I guess I just don't have strong companion feelings for her. I felt that way about Martha. They just don't "click" with me. It took a bit for Amy too, but she worked when we had more Rory in the picture.
    PA Snow Bunny likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

See this is where Moffet took it off course for me. Clara was the girl who was born to save The Doctor because she has been in his life in various eras & I guess I suppose she did save him but at the end he did die of old age & had to regenerate.
    I loved Matt Smith with Amy because he started off with her. He will always be the Raggedy Man. It took me awhile to get that Amy was the Doctor's mother-in-law. Weird but a strange weird. Clara just could never work as a love interest so she became like Martha. Matt wanted to leave anyway. He is actually doing a movie with Ryan Gossling & he actually did have to shave his head. Moffet decided to bring in an older actor to play #12 so Clara could be like Susan was to #1. Matt was just so good at playing someone so old & that I am going to miss.
    I never realized that Martha Jones married Rose's Mickey.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

The new promo for the 12th doctor is out!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKyKI2Gg8HU
    The new episodes start August 23rd!

I've started re-watching all of the "new" series and am hoping to get through them all by August 23rd. I'd forgotten how annoying Rose's mother was and how YOUNG John Barrowman looked when Captain Jack first appeared.
    libgirl2 and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I knew I knew Capaldi from someone other than the Pompeii episode of Dr Who. He was the corrupt official who tried to bargin with the aliens to save his children in Torchwood. That is the series that turned Torchwood so dark.

I wil give #12 an honest try but I will miss River so much. Clara just couldn't click for me with Matt the way River could. Hope she works with #12.

I see Tennent is foing to have a series on Fox this fall, Karen is on ABC with in a comedy series & Matt just got cast in a new Terminator movie.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I knew I knew Capaldi from someone other than the Pompeii episode of Dr Who. He was the corrupt official who tried to bargin with the aliens to save his children in Torchwood. That is the series that turned Torchwood so dark.

He was also in Lair of the White Worm from back in the 80s. Google it and see how young he was!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post

I wil give #12 an honest try but I will miss River so much. Clara just couldn't click for me with Matt the way River could. Hope she works with #12.

I see Tennent is foing to have a series on Fox this fall
    , Karen is on ABC with in a comedy series & Matt just got cast in a new Terminator movie.
    It's the American remake of Broadchurch from BBC, which he also starred in. I don't have high hopes, although I'll watch because I love him. In my experience, American remakes of British series almost always stink.

I was thrilled when Peter Capaldi was cast as Doctor #12. I have high hopes. Hey, any Doctor who wears Docs is all good in my book
    Florimel and libgirl2 like this.

He's also doing Season 2 of the British version of Broadchurch, which is the one I'll be watching. "The Escape Artist" just finished airing on PBS. I loved it.

I have a feeling that much like Benedict Cumberbatch, we'll be seeing a lot of Tenant. Both are more than welcome.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's the American remake of Broadchurch from BBC, which he also starred in. I don't have high hopes, although I'll watch because I love him. In my experience, American remakes of British series almost always stink.

I was thrilled when Peter Capaldi was cast as Doctor #12. I have high hopes. Hey, any Doctor who wears Docs is all good in my book
    Graceland is the official name for it, and I don't think he'll be too bad in it. He has improved on his American accent compared to the last thing I heard him try to use one in (a pilot that was not picked up and let's just say the ONLY good thing in it was David Tennant).

I think Peter will do a good job as the Doctor, but I do find it funny he has similar appearances to the Pertwee Doctor. The recent released photo of the two even has that 1970s type vibe about it (more classical look).

While I doubt it'd be a carbon copy, it would in a way almost fit how the Curator mentions visiting "a few old faces" - just not the literal term. Pertwee's Doctor was charming, intellectual and kind - but he also had a darker side, a lot of it I feel due to his forced regeneration into that persona.

There is a theory out there of the Doctor having some major issues in this regeneration because of the last time he had a regeneration forced on him of sorts by Gallifrey (though here it was almost a 180 of what the Second Doctor did), but I don't quite buy into it.

The photo they've released of the two is lovely as well. Looks like Jenna has cut her hair a bit shorter, and I think it actually looks better.

Now Peter's biggest challenge will be though to show that talent trumps looks, given there are many in the Doctor Who fandom who think otherwise. He also has to be very careful to not let his fandom for the show in the past color his performance. We've had Doctors in the past who were huge fans of the show, but ended up feeling a bit caricature because they played the Doctor a bit how they saw it and not who they felt he was. (basically, if you feel the character you can play the character well).

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Graceland is the official name for it, and I don't think he'll be too bad in it. He has improved on his American accent compared to the last thing I heard him try to use one in (a pilot that was not picked up and let's just say the ONLY good thing in it was David Tennant).

I think Peter will do a good job as the Doctor, but I do find it funny he has similar appearances to the Pertwee Doctor. The recent released photo of the two even has that 1970s type vibe about it (more classical look).

While I doubt it'd be a carbon copy, it would in a way almost fit how the Curator mentions visiting "a few old faces" - just not the literal term. Pertwee's Doctor was charming, intellectual and kind - but he also had a darker side, a lot of it I feel due to his forced regeneration into that persona.

There is a theory out there of the Doctor having some major issues in this regeneration because of the last time he had a regeneration forced on him of sorts by Gallifrey (though here it was almost a 180 of what the Second Doctor did), but I don't quite buy into it.

The photo they've released of the two is lovely as well. Looks like Jenna has cut her hair a bit shorter, and I think it actually looks better.

Now Peter's biggest challenge will be though to show that talent trumps looks, given there are many in the Doctor Who fandom who think otherwise. He also has to be very careful to not let his fandom for the show in the past color his performance. We've had Doctors in the past who were huge fans of the show, but ended up feeling a bit caricature because they played the Doctor a bit how they saw it and not who they felt he was. (basically, if you feel the character you can play the character well).
    Graceland is the show on USA. The Broadchurch remake is called Gracepoint

I'll argue that Anna Gunn will also be terrific in Gracepoint, although I'm annoyed that they didn't bring over Olivia Colman. I can't imagine how anyone could be better in that role. Heck, I'm annoyed they felt the need to remake the show in the first place. Really, so Americans have a problem with British accents? None that I know do, but maybe I'm not in touch with 'Merica.

I watched the very fabulous "Blink" last night and was reminded yet again of how brilliantly terrifying the Weeping Angels are. Also watched "The Family of Blood", which I hadn't seen in years. Fun little Game of Thrones moment there with both Harry Lloyd (Viserys) and Thomas Sangster (Jojen).

I suspect Capaldi may become one of my favorite Doctors. I'm trying not to have really high expectations, but I do anyway.

I think having the younger, hotter Doctors (and I'd include Eccleston in that) drew in bigger audiences and viewers who were new to the show. I hope that even with an "older" Doctor, they'll stick around because they now just love the series.

+ Reply to Thread