+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    My son bought me Google TV with Netflix for Christmas so I am in the middle of watching Christopher Ecclstone as The Dr.
    He totally rocked being The Doctor.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Well I am all caught up with The Day of the Doctor and the 2013 Christmas special.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    My son bought me Google TV with Netflix for Christmas so I am in the middle of watching Christopher Ecclstone as The Dr.
    I lost interest back when Tom Baker left the Classic Who role. About a year ago, I decided to check out the new series, starting with the Eccleston shows. I fell absolutely in love with him, knowing that he'd already left the part. I watched those shows with a black cloud hovering over me, cuz I figured it would be a repeat of my broken heart when Baker left. Happily, both Tennant and Smith won me over right away.

Enjoy the Eccleston eps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When you have worn out your shoes, the strength of the shoe leather has passed into the fiber of your body. I measure your health by the number of shoes and hats and clothes you have worn out. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I went to see the 50th Anniversary special on the big screen...in 3D!

I started watching Dr Who probably 1/2 way during the Tennant years. I never thought anyone could ever replace the "timey-wimey" doctor but I was wrong. Matt played #11 so well you believed him as a young man playing an old character. The problem is the ponds left. How do you replace those 2? The writers/producers painted themselves into a corner with no way out. Clara is fine just what do you do with her? There is no way she could be the Dr's love interest. She could never be a River Song. River is not replaceable with an impossible girl. Looks like they are going to take Capaldi full circle & have Clara be more of a daughter type companion.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I kind of agree. The last couple of doctors have had some romantic relationships, so maybe it's time for a more platonic one to keep the show fresh. Who could come close to Alex Kingston as River Song anyway? I remember her most from her role on E.R. Those two roles alone show her range as an actress.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I'm ready for a little less kissing. I loved River, she was just perfect for the Doctor, but I started to get tired of him playing kiss the companion all the time. The Doctor I grew up wasn't doing that and while times change, I didn't want it to be the norm. I like Donna for the fact that she was just his good friend/mate. She wasn't pining for him, ala Martha and he wasn't pining for her. I never felt any chemistry with him and Clara. Lets see how they take it with Capaldi. I don't know if it will be more like the First Doctor and Susan or maybe not.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I'm ready for a little less kissing. I loved River, she was just perfect for the Doctor, but I started to get tired of him playing kiss the companion all the time. The Doctor I grew up wasn't doing that and while times change, I didn't want it to be the norm. I like Donna for the fact that she was just his good friend/mate. She wasn't pining for him, ala Martha and he wasn't pining for her. I never felt any chemistry with him and Clara. Lets see how they take it with Capaldi. I don't know if it will be more like the First Doctor and Susan or maybe not.
    The dynamic between the Doctor and Donna was fabulous and I really liked the episode where it was the Doctor and Donna's father.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The dynamic between the Doctor and Donna was fabulous and I really liked the episode where it was the Doctor and Donna's father.
    Do you mean Donna and Wilf, Donna's grandfather?

Donna did have her father in "The Runaway Bride," but sadly the actor who played him died between that story and filming for Donna's return ("Partners in Crime"). I did however notice in that particular series collection they show the filmed scene between her and the actor who played the dad for "PIC" - it is the scene where they are looking at the stars. The actor was very good and you still saw the love Donna had for her family (well except her mum... ).

I do agree though, one of the best seasons WAS Donna and the Doctor - and it makes me sad that because of Tennant's play ("Hamlet") I think they had to work around it and Catherine Tate decided to not return because of the same oddity in the scheduling. I'd love to have seen her alongside Matt's Doctor.

I also like the one with Rose and the Ninth Doctor because they had feelings but they weren't romantic - not even that kiss. His "You need a Doctor" was more of a calming her down so the TARDIS vortex didn't retaliate on him and she knew she'd be helped.

Jenna Coleman simply put was cast as a transitional companion from one Doctor to another. I can see her working a bit better with Capaldi than Matt, and even there, I think she did well with Matt (it did have less romance, but still...)

I just haven't warmed up to Clara I guess. It took awhile with Amy for me too, but the whole transition to a new regeneration was also taking place. Clara, despite "saving" the Doctors, just is missing something for me.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Funny...I just finished watching the 9th doctor season. Rose & #9 did kiss right before he regenerated. Rose had opened up the heart of the TARDIS to try & save The Doctor which allowed her to see all of time. #9 ended up having to absorb all of that information from Rose which would also meant the end of #9. This was the beginning of Bad Wolf.

I really do think Clara gave us 1 less year of #11. There was just no place for this timeline to work. She was no match for River & her "hello sweetie".

I really did love Donna with #10.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

+ Reply to Thread