+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

I think we got spoiled for cute, young Doctors with Ten and Eleven. I think PC is a great choice and, even though I'll miss Matt, I'm excited to see what PC's Doctor will bring.

IIRC, Craig Ferguson and PC were in a band together in (art?) school. They've been friends for a very long time. This means more Doctor-themed episodes of The Late Late Show!
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just love Craig Ferguson.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I have heard he's supposed to be on Craig's show tonight, but admittedly given how recent the announcement was that may not happen. May have to stay up to watch it tonight though - I would LOVE to hear Craig's reactions to the announcement (though please Craig - don't have them put a French flag over your mouth and gibberish a lot tonight? - you don't need to cuss that much ).

As far as Peter Capaldi... I think he will do quite well. I liked him as the father in "The Fires of Pompeii" (making this the show they've had TWO future leads come from - the other Karen Gillan, who played a Sybillan sister in this one, then Amy Pond). He is older - and apparently when he starts filming he will be the OLDEST actor to take on the role (he will be 56, Hartnell was 55 when he began filming), so it's a nice twist.

To me - I get a feeling he may be a bit more of a Pertwee type mixed in with his own interpretation (and I feel a bit more mystery - which will be good). In fact, I WISH he'd adapt the Venusian Akido type fighting and use his brain more instead of using the Sonic Screwdriver to get out of trouble. It is used way too much and is an easy plot escape device (meaning - leads to a boring story).

I must be one of the few folks who cheered when the Terileptils DESTROYED the thing during the Fifth Doctor era (The Visitation - and surprisingly enough I got the aliens name RIGHT without looking it up).

Seriously - the sonic screwdriver has got to go again - and maybe give the Doctor amnesia to forget how to make another one (and the TARDIS - tired of making a new one - refuse to make him one).
    libgirl2 likes this.

The new Doctor Who sorta looks like David Tenant but about 30 years older.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I admit I don't see the resemblance myself personally to David Tennant - he does remind me of a cross between Patrick Troughton and Peter Cushing (who played the role in the movies - and that Doctor is different from the TV one in that he's a scientist but not an alien).

Do know he can act though - he had the comedy, drama and a mix of the two and then some in the Pompeii episode. I have not seen him in the "Torchwood" story (though I can check it out from the library), nor this Malcolm character whom folks like to parody the Doctor as becoming (rather crass actually).

I do feel for Matt though on that whole reveal thing though - I don't know if he regrets his decision or not, but I think they're laying it on a bit thick in regard to him leaving and wanting him to comment on stuff. I think he handled his announcement with more grace than Tennant did (who announced on an award show and I still feel took away from the others' wins that night), so it does irritate me they're still dragging this out. Do see why some folks felt he looked a bit "pissed off" at the reveal.
    PA Snow Bunny likes this.

Personally I am going to miss Matt. I guess we also lose River as well...sigh. What happens to Clara?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Personally I am going to miss Matt. I guess we also lose River as well...sigh. What happens to Clara?
    Jenna-Louise Coleman is still starring in the show, and will be the first companion since Billie Piper to have worked with two actors who have played the Doctor during her tenure as Clara.

I'm going to miss Matt too, but I'm glad they went with an older actor for the next Doctor. Wish they'd stop with the complaints though - some think that David and RTD will return because the fans are demanding they return.

To that I say "I'm saddened you'd stereotype an actor for life."

This was in the news a few days (a week?) ago, but since no one posted about it....
    Lost 'Doctor Who' Episodes From 1960s Recovered And Made Available Online

Posted: 10/11/2013 2:40 am EDT | Updated: 10/11/2013 2:40 am EDT

Nine "Doctor Who" episodes that were previously thought lost forever have been recovered in Nigeria, Africa, BBC Worldwide announced Thursday.

In total, eleven "Doctor Who" episodes were recovered by Philip Morris, director of Television International Enterprises Archive, after he tracked records of tape shipments made by BBC to Africa for transmission. The episodes -- which form two story arcs, "The Enemy of the World" and "The Web of Fear" -- have been remastered and made available online exclusively via iTunes.

“The tapes had been left gathering dust in a store room at a television relay station in Nigeria. I remember wiping the dust off the masking tape on the canisters and my heart missed a beat as I saw the words ‘Doctor Who.’ When I read the story code I realized I’d found something pretty special,” Morris said in a statement.

According to BBC, the first recovered arc, "The Enemy of the World," spans six episodes which originally aired on BBC in December 1967 as part of the fifth season. "The story features Patrick Troughton as both the Second Doctor and his antagonist (Ramon Salamander), alongside companions Jamie (Frazer Hines) and Victoria (Deborah Watling)." Episodes 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 were missing from the BBC Archives before Morris' discovery, meaning that BBC is able to fully present the story for the first time in almost five decades.

Morris also recovered "The Web of Fear," a six-episode arc from 1968 also starring Troughton, Hines and Watling. The story features the first appearance of Nicholas Courtney as Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart (who would later return as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart). According to BBC, "Episodes 2-6 were feared lost, but now episodes 2, 4, 5, and 6 have been recovered. With episode 3 still missing, the restoration team has reconstructed this part of the story using a selection of the 37 images that were still available from the episode along with the original audio, which has been restored."

“For many, this will be their first chance to watch these long-lost Doctor Who stories," said Beth Clearfield, SVP of Digital Distribution. "We’re thrilled to partner with iTunes in bringing these missing gems back to new and long-time fans after all these years.”

There are reportedly still 27 "Doctor Who" stories that remain missing or have incomplete episodes, especially those from the first season, which were discarded as a result of BBC Archive space-saving measures.

November 23 will mark the 50th Anniversary of the first "Doctor Who" episode, "An Unearthly Child." In celebration, the 50th Anniversary Special, "The Day of the Doctor," will be simulcast around the world to give all Whovians a chance to watch the show together and avoid spoilers.
    Lost 'Doctor Who' Episodes From 1960s Recovered And Made Available Online
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

No, I haven't missed it and am glad they have found at least nine parts of two of the stories. I do wish they had chosen to animate episode three of "Web of Fear" if they could not find it.

I'm hoping though there are more episodes they found, but haven't announced them yet because they are restoring them. It's pretty obvious the BBC has had these episodes for a time because it takes a while to use vidfire to make them look as great as they do. In fact, Web of Fear looks like one could've shot it just a week or so ago, similar to the one for "The Krontons."

The Christmas Special for 2013 has aired, I'm sure there will be repeats.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread