+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

I recently became a big Doctor Who fan, and I thought Tennant was just spectacular in the lead role... but I don't see how bringing him back could ever work. The Doctor does not regenerate backwards. Ten is gone, and we are kind of lucky he's even coming back for the 50th anniversary. Besides, he just got a BAFTA nomination for his work in Broadchurch. My only hope is that the 12th doctor is strong enough to keep the legacy going. So far we've had a good string of people. I am not in favor of them choosing anybody - male or female, of any ethnic background at all - for any criteria other than that person being the best possible actor for the role.

Quote Originally Posted by abrahammy View Post
    I recently became a big Doctor Who fan, and I thought Tennant was just spectacular in the lead role... but I don't see how bringing him back could ever work. The Doctor does not regenerate backwards. Ten is gone, and we are kind of lucky he's even coming back for the 50th anniversary. Besides, he just got a BAFTA nomination for his work in Broadchurch. My only hope is that the 12th doctor is strong enough to keep the legacy going. So far we've had a good string of people. I am not in favor of them choosing anybody - male or female, of any ethnic background at all - for any criteria other than that person being the best possible actor for the role.
    Exactly, the Doctor can't go back. The regeneration is over and done with. Some great names have been mentioned. I love Roy Kinnear, but he seems to be saying it won't happen. Who knows?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Exactly, the Doctor can't go back. The regeneration is over and done with. Some great names have been mentioned. I love Roy Kinnear, but he seems to be saying it won't happen. Who knows?
    Just food for thought - they kept denying Billie Piper was going to be the first companion in the restart of the series, but she ended up being the new one.

I do think they have the Doctor chosen - they'd have to in order to ensure he (or she) knew what to expect in the role, study details such as how the TARDIS works and the like, and get to know the companion in this case.

Will say I think they cast Jenna-Louise as Clara probably expecting Matt would leave after just over three series. I felt this way with the casting of Catherine Tate as Donna, as most folks could see her working with Matt's Doctor as well as she did David's (probably even better if that's possible - I liked Donna). But then David did the specials and the way those were handled Tate chose to move on (my understanding) so that lead to the opening for a new companion/new Doctor.

In Billie Piper's case, I think they had cast her as Rose and thought Eccleston would do the traditional three series. I don't think she worked as well with Tennant's Doctor myself because it felt to me that she was not a transitional companion (one who could work with two different Doctors).

That was Elisabeth Sladen's (Sarah Jane), Nicholas Courtney's (Brigadier) and more recently Katy Manning's (Jo) charm - they worked well with all incarnations of the Doctor they met, as the actors understood each version's strengths and weaknesses and were timeless characters.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    That was Elisabeth Sladen's (Sarah Jane), Nicholas Courtney's (Brigadier) and more recently Katy Manning's (Jo) charm - they worked well with all incarnations of the Doctor they met, as the actors understood each version's strengths and weaknesses and were timeless characters.
    I think Lis and Nick would have had great chemistry with the Doctor is he were played by a wooden chair.

And I am very sure they have the next Doctor chosen.

Well, Sunday will be the big announcement!

We have a new Doctor! Not sure how to do spoilers, but anyone can google it.

The new doctor:
    Click to see Spoiler:

Peter Capaldi Is The New Doctor, Beginning With 'Doctor Who' Season 8

Posted: 08/04/2013 2:29 pm EDT | Updated: 08/04/2013 2:47 pm EDT

Peter Capaldi was announced as the new Doctor during a "Doctor Who" special on BBC America and BBC One on Sunday.

"Being asked to play the Doctor is an amazing privilege," Capaldi said. "Like the Doctor himself I find myself in a state of utter terror and delight."

Capaldi's other credits include "The Thick Of It," "The Hour," "In The Loop" and "Torchwood." The actor has also appeared on "Doctor Who" before. In the 2008 episode "The Fires of Pompeii" he played Caecilius.

Host Zoe Ball unveiled Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor in [his/her] first ever interview in front of a live studio audience. The half-hour show included Doctors old and new, including current Doctor Matt Smith, and "Doctor Who's" lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat.

Capaldi replaces Smith, who played the Doctor since 2010. He announced his departure in 2013 and released the following statement: "Thank you so very much for supporting my incarnation of the Time Lord, number Eleven, who I might add is not done yet, I'm back for the 50th anniversary and the Christmas special! It's been an honor to play this part, to follow the legacy of brilliant actors, and helm the TARDIS for a spell with 'the ginger, the nose and the impossible one'. But when ya gotta go, ya gotta go and Trenzalore calls. Thank you guys."

Jenna Coleman, who joined "Doctor Who" in Season 7 as the Doctor's companion Clara, will remain with the series for Season 8, joining the new Doctor.

Before the official announcement, many speculated that it was time for a woman to star in "Doctor Who." Oscar winner Helen Mirren said she won't play the Doctor, but it's time there was a woman in the role. "Iím not going to be the first female 'Doctor Who.' No, no, no. Absolutely not, I absolutely wouldnít contemplate that ... but I do think itís well over-time to have a female 'Doctor Who' ... I think a gay, black female 'Doctor Who' would be best of all,Ē Mirren told Daybreak.

"Doctor Who" returns for its 50th anniversary special on Saturday, November 23 on BBC America.
    Peter Capaldi Is The New Doctor, Beginning With 'Doctor Who' Season 8

Thoughts?

Really, maybe spoiler tags aren't necessary here. It's not like we all didn't know Matt Smith was leaving and that a new Doctor was coming. Plus, I've seen the announcement on at least half a dozen sites in the last 10 minutes and some of them aren't entertainment sites.

I don't know much about the new actor. The definitely went older though, didn't they?
    Last edited by Critical; 08-04-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

He is the same age Hartnell was when he played the Doctor 50 years ago, so its not exactly new. I like him. All of those out there who are saying he isn't cute enough etc... this isn't Twilight, its Doctor Who. The Doctor wasn't envisioned to be any kinid of heart throb (though I do have my favorites!!). I actually find him quite attractive for his age (which is close to mine). though I do think Clara's relationship with the Doctor will be quite different. More Pertwee and Jo Grant.

I just meant there was a jump in age (20+ years) from Matt Smith, not that it was new that the Doctor isn't "young."

I'm sure PC and Jenna-Louise will have nice chemistry. I'll just be sad to not see her with Matt any more. I think they're terrific together. I liked Amy Pond, but I enjoyed the totally different dynamic he had with Clara.

I just realized how I knew the name of the new Doctor. He and Craig Ferguson are old friends. He mentioned him in his autobiography and he's been on Craig's show a lot. Craig is going to FLIP OUT! He's such a Doctor Who fan.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It is a jump, and I think for new fans it is a real big jump. For those of us who have been fans from the old series not so much.

I see a more traditional relationship with him and Clara (old show) and maybe more Doctor/Donna (which I loved) from the new show.

So cool about Craig Ferguson. He is such a fan, I am so thrilled for him.

All in all, looking forward to what he brings. Will he be more serious? darker? Not sure. The Doctor has always wavered between the dark and the somewhat silly. He really could have a depth of emotion to cull from.

And to all those nufans who are saying he isn't "cute" or he is too "old".... Doctor Who isn't Twilight. Get over it. I'm a rabid long time fan. I don't want to see it turn into Twilight.
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread