+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

I'm leading the cause for Richard Armitage!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The person my husband and I saw "leaked" on a blog that has now mysteriously disappeared is Ben Daniels. I don't know much about him. But they had said that Moffat wanted to get an older direction

Ben Daniels - IMDb

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Well, DH and I are reading that he is leaving at Christmas. No word on a new Doctor. I'm kind of ticked. He really grew on me. Though being a Doctor fan, I always am ticked when we get a new Doctor as I love the previous, but they always grow on me. The exception is the awful Colin Baker. Blech....
    If you haven't had a chance to listen to one of those Big Finish Audios, I'd say spend a "fiver" (about $6 bucks in America) and see if you can get one of the one hour stories that Colin's done. He's SO much better in these than the series - I think mostly because he's getting good stories and doesn't have to wear the unserious gosh awful outfit he wore (mind you I liked the coat, but it'd been better in shades of ONE color).

I'm not too surprised Matt's leaving, if anything because he's young and he's gotten a film in Hollywood. He's got the right look and is chameleon enough to be working here in the states - or back in the UK. Helps too he's gotten fairly decent good publicity from Craig Ferguson.

While I wish they had announced it sooner, I can understand why the delay. Matt - and probably the BBC, most likely wanted the year to focus more on the 50th anniversary than him leaving, and given how with Tennant the more die-hard "He should be the 12th Doctor - or I want to stereotype Tennant's career" fans were when David left... I don't blame them waiting.

The person my husband and I saw "leaked" on a blog that has now mysteriously disappeared is Ben Daniels. I don't know much about him. But they had said that Moffat wanted to get an older direction

Ben Daniels - IMDb
    Ben Daniels is best known for being on the UK version of "Law and Order." He's more of the typical serious side that is known for that show, but most of his stuff has been more serious. (note, Martha Jones actress Freema Agyeman was in this series before she moved on to "The Carrie Diaries.")

I think from watching snippets of him in this series he would be good; however, if he keeps more of this demeanor in the Doctor with a little humor, we may see a bit more of a William Hartnell/Jon Pertwee hybrid. That wouldn't be bad - and the show needs an older Doctor to show he can't choose his appearance of young or old (as they did in the series).

As long as they do NOT recast Tennant as the Doctor I will be happy. He's had his time, he was good, but he's had his time.

If there is ONE thing I'm disappointed in is that Matt and Company basically gave what a few "fans" wanted - and that was a regeneration during the 50th anniversary. Now I personally think Matt chose this because of a lot of offers for movies and other TV that were too tempting to pass up (and not risk stereotyping him at a young age), but if a few small fan groups' want to have a regeneration factored in I will be disappointed. An actor should leave - well at least voluntarily - because he wants to, not because fans want something specific to be "satisfied."

Well, DH and I are reading that he is leaving at Christmas. No word on a new Doctor. I'm kind of ticked. He really grew on me. Though being a Doctor fan, I always am ticked when we get a new Doctor as I love the previous, but they always grow on me. The exception is the awful Colin Baker. Blech....
    I just heard this on the BBC News....I am gutted! I thought Matt was staying through the entire 2014 season...sigh!
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I just heard this on the BBC News....I am gutted! I thought Matt was staying through the entire 2014 season...sigh!
    I thought so too, but Digital Spy is essentially a gossip web site and they said "Appeared" he had signed on for series 8.

My guess is he's either gotten a lot of offers for other gigs that pay much better than "DW" (he got about 1/5th of David's salary - Tennant got a million pounds/episode, Matt 200K if I've read it right*), or there is something very private that would cause a sudden announcement.

The only thing I'm sure of it wasn't he was sacked (fired) - they wouldn't have given him a new costume, new opening titles and a nice sendoff. The ratings were also as good if not overall better than David's (Let alone Matt is the first actor in "DW" to ever be nominated for a BAFTA - similar to our Emmys).

They'd honestly done what they did to C. Baker and said simply he was sacked (though in fairness they did offer him a chance to do the regeneration, and Colin said quite fairly "no."

* Disclaimer - Tennant had been in the industry and in shows a bit longer than Matt when Tennant joined "DW" and the BBC changed pay policies I believe between the two's changeover. That said, pay does factor into decisions too - especially when Matt did choose to move on from a job that for the most part was guaranteed two more years in the role.

I think Matt got plenty of new offers, combine that with the 50th anniversary and it was bound to happen. I will miss him.

Colin Baker did suffer from bad writing as well as trying to make him more like the First Doctor. The writers forgot that Hartnell was older, the show was new and the Doctor had softened up enormously in the years since him. I always thought he would have made a great Doctor given the right material. I have heard his audios are not bad. I always thought McCoy was a good Doctor, but again, the scripts were terrible. And what a waste of a great companion in Ace.

I think Matt got plenty of new offers, combine that with the 50th anniversary and it was bound to happen. I will miss him.

Colin Baker did suffer from bad writing as well as trying to make him more like the First Doctor. The writers forgot that Hartnell was older, the show was new and the Doctor had softened up enormously in the years since him. I always thought he would have made a great Doctor given the right material. I have heard his audios are not bad. I always thought McCoy was a good Doctor, but again, the scripts were terrible. And what a waste of a great companion in Ace.
    Trying to have the attitude of the first Doctor with that get up no one could've done it - not even Tom Baker or David Tennant. Yeah, they royally messed up the formula there - moreso than anything people have said they've seen Moffat do. (Personally I feel a lot who get upset there wanted it to be more of the "EastEnders" feel that the RTD/Tennant era brought - particularly when Piper was there).

McCoy's best series were his last two, no question. In fairness though it's quite clear that series of stories was designed with Colin in mind (only one that worked with the Seventh's persona was "Delta and the Bannermen" IMHO).

He worked OK with Bonnie Langford (Mel), but he was stronger with Sophie Aldred. Ace was a strong companion and I wish she had been able to return for the TV movie in some form or fashion - especially when Grace chose not to travel with the Doctor. It'd been nice to see a more sophisticated but tough Ace at that age. I've heard glimpses of that though in the BF audio "The Harvest" which includes a new companion in Hex who joins them.

I now heard where a woman could be the next Dr. Now if it were River Song I would LOVE it otherwise no. I would have no problem with David Tennent coming back as the Dr.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I now heard where a woman could be the next Dr. Now if it were River Song I would LOVE it otherwise no. I would have no problem with David Tennent coming back as the Dr.
    If it's a woman, it won't be Alex Kingston - she's far too familiar as River.

Tennant shouldn't come back because not only is he in "Broadchurch" as a lead I believe, but also because "Doctor Who" doesn't work backwards and have the Doctor regress into an older form. Even when they were speculating about the new Seventh Doctor with rumors that it'd be an older Doctor (Tom being heavily favored, others saying they'd come back, i.e. Davison) they still chose McCoy.

If they brought back Tennant I will be disappointed, not because he isn't a good actor (he is) but because it means the BBC catered to a few rather rude girl fans of his, the ones who lusted after him and not so much his skills. They'd also effectively stereotype him, and he is far too skilled to be cursed with that label.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread