+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

I too adore Warrick.
    I also did hear that Matt Smith was leaving in 2014. I will miss him but while I am fine with Clara I really do miss him with the Ponds. I loved his interactions with River.
    I have also read somewhere that the 10th Dr was going to become the 12th. I don't get how this is possible but hey this is Dr Who & they love to keep us guessing and thinking!
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I too adore Warrick.
    I also did hear that Matt Smith was leaving in 2014. I will miss him but while I am fine with Clara I really do miss him with the Ponds. I loved his interactions with River.
    I have also read somewhere that the 10th Dr was going to become the 12th. I don't get how this is possible but hey this is Dr Who & they love to keep us guessing and thinking!
    His leaving is reported in what are seen mostly as gossip websites (i.e. printed "National Enquirer" or "UK Mirror.")

Rule of thumb: If the BBC says it or Matt clearly says he's leaving it's fact. Currently, the BBC has said or at least implied he's there for 2014 for at least half a series and go from there based on if the movie's he's filmed in/directed are successful. People like to correlate these as he's leaving, but they didn't do such a thing with Tennant and Hamlet until he officially announced himself on an awards show he was leaving.

Plus, given that Christopher Eccleston's departure was leaked/found out early (as in the third episode of the 2005 series), we'd known something officially through that avenue by now I think.

A lot of the reason for speculation are the following two reasons (Not including John Hurt's appearance):

1. People want the Doctor to regenerate for the 50th or Christmas special - which I personally feel to be stupid unless Matt wants to leave to do other gigs; and

2. He is in his first optional year on his contract - so it's natural to see rumors like this abound - as he doesn't have to return for a fourth.

And no - it's been confirmed that David will not return permanently as the Doctor. The 50th is a one time thing.

Plus, he's a fan of the show himself, so he'd say that it was a bad idea (plus he's in "Broadchurch," what little I've seen excellent, which could go on for some time), and he wouldn't want to as mentioned risk stereotyping.

I have read Matt will be around through 2014.

I don't mind Clara, she's okay. I do like how she saved him, but I miss the Ponds and I wasn't that much of an Amy fan to begin with. Amy grew up me and I always liked Rory. As for River, I am a firm River Song fan. Alex Kingston has great chemistry with Matt, heck, she has great chemistry with anyone. I think for the Doctor's official wife, they picked a mature woman who is crafty, smart and sexy.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I have read Matt will be around through 2014.

I don't mind Clara, she's okay. I do like how she saved him, but I miss the Ponds and I wasn't that much of an Amy fan to begin with. Amy grew up me and I always liked Rory. As for River, I am a firm River Song fan. Alex Kingston has great chemistry with Matt, heck, she has great chemistry with anyone. I think for the Doctor's official wife, they picked a mature woman who is crafty, smart and sexy.
    I do think that Matt has been fortunate and been paired with actors who can play off him well. Billie Piper (Rose) is a good actress, but she was not as strong with the Tenth Doctor as she was Ninth, Freema Agyeman was unfortunately given that "unrequited love/second banana to Rose" thread that I felt hurt Martha, and Catherine Tate was very good with Tennant's Doctor, but the switch to the four story series because Tennant was doing "Hamlet" affected her tenure there I feel (it's been mentioned had they not done the four story year she'd done a second full series). This may not seem like much but I do wonder what would've happened if she was the companion still when they did the regeneration.

Shucks, even Rory's Dad worked well alongside Matt's Doctor. Then again Matt's tenure is the first one I've seen since the original run of the show where I felt both Doctor and companion balanced each other well.

That said - River Song is another I go "what if" - mostly because Kate Winslet actually was offered the role and she turned it down. Alex Kingston is excellent in the role (though I feel sometimes overused), but I've also liked Winslet's work and could see her in the role of River. That said - I respect her choice to not take on the role and stick to movies.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I do think that Matt has been fortunate and been paired with actors who can play off him well. Billie Piper (Rose) is a good actress, but she was not as strong with the Tenth Doctor as she was Ninth, Freema Agyeman was unfortunately given that "unrequited love/second banana to Rose" thread that I felt hurt Martha, and Catherine Tate was very good with Tennant's Doctor, but the switch to the four story series because Tennant was doing "Hamlet" affected her tenure there I feel (it's been mentioned had they not done the four story year she'd done a second full series). This may not seem like much but I do wonder what would've happened if she was the companion still when they did the regeneration.

Shucks, even Rory's Dad worked well alongside Matt's Doctor. Then again Matt's tenure is the first one I've seen since the original run of the show where I felt both Doctor and companion balanced each other well.

That said - River Song is another I go "what if" - mostly because Kate Winslet actually was offered the role and she turned it down. Alex Kingston is excellent in the role (though I feel sometimes overused), but I've also liked Winslet's work and could see her in the role of River. That said - I respect her choice to not take on the role and stick to movies.
    I don't think it has to do with luck. I think it has to do with Matt having chemistry with pretty much anyone. He's like John Barrowman in that way. As much as I love David Tennant, I don't want him to come back (beyond the anniversary special). I'm enjoying Matt's take on the Doctor.

I thought I would miss the Ponds, but I actually don't. I think Jenna-Louise has taken up the companion role quite well. I never really liked Billie Piper. I'm not sure why.

I like Alex Kingston so much that I'm happy Kate Winslet didn't take the role. Alex has a cheekiness that I don't think Kate could bring to the part.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Well, DH and I are reading that he is leaving at Christmas. No word on a new Doctor. I'm kind of ticked. He really grew on me. Though being a Doctor fan, I always am ticked when we get a new Doctor as I love the previous, but they always grow on me. The exception is the awful Colin Baker. Blech....

My husband, who is an avid fan, had told me a while back of rumors of a 47 year old actor neither of us had heard of being considered. Of course, we can't remember who he was. I wonder were that would leave Clara. Would they have her travel with a man old enough to be her father? And not in the Time Lord age sense. I know it has happened in the history of the show, but that was before the "romance" was added to the series.

Just saw the announcement in my FB feed. I'm totally bummed.
    BBC News - Matt Smith to leave Doctor Who at the end of year
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

When Matt Smith first became the Doctor I hated him playing that character it took me about a year and a half to settle with him and pow he will be gone and another love/hate cycle will begin how annoying. 3 years and only 40 episodes it seems so short a time. If each season had been 22 episodes long I won't have had a problem but it's like Matt Smith hasn't been the Doctor long enough give it another year or so then go.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

While I loved David Tennant's doctor, I did enjoy Christopher Eccelston, and I am pleased with Matt Smith's take on the character. They haven't made a poor choice yet, so I'm trusting TPTB to continue making good casting decisions. I'm new to the series, and have never watched anything prior to Eccelston.

+ Reply to Thread