+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 351
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

  1. #121
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,077

    Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

    Thanks jadewarlock. My husband is always going on spoiler boards and its kind of what I have been hearing. Lots of speculation out there.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  2. #122
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Thanks jadewarlock. My husband is always going on spoiler boards and its kind of what I have been hearing. Lots of speculation out there.
    Yes, and a lot of it irritates me such as the speculation that Tennant is going to return as the 12th Doctor. I'm like - come on guys, he's not coming back on a permanent basis: he's a die-hard fan too and knows you don't do that.

    My personal opinion about the 50th though is - in spoilers as it IS speculation but contains a spoiler figure:

    Click to see Spoiler:
    Given that on the 50th anniversary they're brining back the Zygons - a species that can morph into another figure, the 10th and Rose are going to indeed be two Zygons in disguise in the end and try to kill the 11th and Clara.

    Of course we may be seeing the 10th and Rose from another time - say around the time of "Love and Monsters" but I just have this feeling this is what is going to be done, and it'll irritate several of the 10th fans, never mind that we've had doppelgangers of previous Doctors as bad versions of themselves or monsters that cloned his looks:

    Second - "Enemy of the World" (Sylvester or some sort of megalomaniac)
    Fourth - "Meglos" (Meglos), "Android Invasion" (An android that looked like him)
    Fifth - "Arc of Infinity" (Omega)
    Sixth - well here most noticeably in the Fifth Doctor Story "Arc of Infinity" as a different Timelord.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 04-24-2013 at 11:56 PM.

  3. #123
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,136

    Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

    Just finished watching The Crimson Horror. I taped it when it aired and saw the opening and it seemed like it was going to be boring, repetitive and depressing so I put off watching it. Wow, what a fun episode. Luv Madame Vastra, Jenny and Straxx. They were the best part and that and we didn't see the Doctor or Clara until the episode was over half over was terrific. Also luv'ed the bit with the constantly fainting Victorian gentleman.

    One thing I have always liked about Doctor Who is that there an usually large number of female characters who are strong as far as being normal human beings who use their brains and usually solve the problem that is very unusual nowadays in TV and film, in fact I read an article recently that stated that there are fewer female parts then there used to be and mainly they are just tarted up females just used to add gratuitous sex to a film.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 05-26-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  4. #124
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,136

    Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

    A Nightmare in Silver

    Cybermen - stupid, lazy ass plot device...every time someone comes up with a way to kill the Cybermen they do an upgrade talk about a deus ex machina. What is a "dues ex machina" you ask well it's a Deus ex machina - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    a person or thing (as in fiction or drama) that appears or is introduced suddenly and unexpectedly and provides a contrived solution to an apparently insoluble difficulty.
    But in the case of this episode just lazy, lazy, lazy writing. That and blow up the planet solution to everything. Really like there are that many habitable planets and you go blowing them up and kill all the plants and animals, who cares about the humans as they are the ones that created the Cybermen in the first place.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  5. #125
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,136

    Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

    The Name of the Doctor - episode 13 - season 7 finale

    Seems like this was the logical conclusion to episode11 - The Crimson Horror. Again I like seeing Jenny, Straxx and Madame Vastra together and working with the Doctor. Nice to see River Song again. Liked how they tied up the lose ends but really introducing a new Doctor??????
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  6. #126
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    A Nightmare in Silver

    Cybermen - stupid, lazy ass plot device...every time someone comes up with a way to kill the Cybermen they do an upgrade talk about a deus ex machina. What is a "dues ex machina" you ask well it's a Deus ex machina - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    But in the case of this episode just lazy, lazy, lazy writing. That and blow up the planet solution to everything. Really like there are that many habitable planets and you go blowing them up and kill all the plants and animals, who cares about the humans as they are the ones that created the Cybermen in the first place.
    I liked this episode because of Warwick Davis - it's nice to see him in a role that doesn't have him in elaborate makeup (or in a robot costume like he was for "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" movie).

    That said - I do agree with you on the Cybermen. They ARE better here then they were under Russell T. Davies' care... but ironically I feel their BEST incarnation was their first appearance EVER.

    That serial - "The Tenth Planet" featured Cybermen with fabric faces and actual hands. But, what really worked was whomever was inside the costume could manipulate their jaw to make it look robotic, and even more creepily, as though it was just a skull under that mask.

    The sad part though is that for both that style and the version in "Tomb of the Cybermen" (another creepy Cyberman story) they used a voice box that made the voice operators nauseous using - the vibrations caused the problem. This may explain the way they were styled for future editions.

    (Well all this and I think the Doctor really needs to face a Raston Warrior Robot head on instead of having the Cybermen help him out - "the Five Doctors")

  7. #127
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The Name of the Doctor - episode 13 - season 7 finale

    Seems like this was the logical conclusion to episode11 - The Crimson Horror. Again I like seeing Jenny, Straxx and Madame Vastra together and working with the Doctor. Nice to see River Song again. Liked how they tied up the lose ends but really introducing a new Doctor??????
    I don't know - there are so many rumors about who he is. I did find it rather funny they never did explain why McGann's Doctor regenerated (and they have made it clear now that he is indeed an official Doctor) which does allow for an opening of a Doctor who spans between his and Eccelston's. Or it could be an older Eighth, though I would think that theory would be negated given that we've seen Eighth a few times run around or appear as part of the order of the Doctors.

    Then again add the alien enemy they have for the anniversary special and what they can do - it could REALLY shake up the theories.

    ETA: I loved "The Crimson Horror" - a good story around made even better with Dame Diana Rigg as the bad person. And I liked Mr. Sweet myself - and how he is being used for evil, but in of himself is only doing what he normally would do given the era he was from.

    The only thing bugging me was the use of bell jars with the people in them - bell jars are supposed to seal jars by taking out the air. Given that the people were preserved but were supposed to be revived after the rest died from the crimson horror... how were they supposed to be revived if they were deprived of the oxygen?
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 05-28-2013 at 05:09 PM.

  8. #128
    FORT Fogey PA Snow Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,080

    Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The Name of the Doctor - episode 13 - season 7 finale

    Seems like this was the logical conclusion to episode11 - The Crimson Horror. Again I like seeing Jenny, Straxx and Madame Vastra together and working with the Doctor. Nice to see River Song again. Liked how they tied up the lose ends but really introducing a new Doctor??????
    I thought the same exact thing!!! I miss River Song! They left us with a real cliff hanger this season didn't they? The Dr saw his tombstone so didn't that set his fate like it did last year with Rory and then eventually Amy? But then again Clara went into the soul of the Dr and her particles were scattered throught-out the whole of universe/time so that is how I suppose she appears so many times in the Dr's timeline but does he go to follow there throught-out space & time?? Is that why we are getting John Heard as a psooible new Dr??? I thought David Tennent & Billie Parker were coming back as the new Dr?
    BTW I never realized that Nelly from the Office was Donna. I knew I kne her from somewhere else but never made the connection.

    I just saw where tomorrow is the 5th anniversary of River Song being introduced to us.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

  9. #129
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

    Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I thought the same exact thing!!! I miss River Song! They left us with a real cliff hanger this season didn't they? The Dr saw his tombstone so didn't that set his fate like it did last year with Rory and then eventually Amy? But then again Clara went into the soul of the Dr and her particles were scattered throught-out the whole of universe/time so that is how I suppose she appears so many times in the Dr's timeline but does he go to follow there throught-out space & time?? Is that why we are getting John Heard as a psooible new Dr??? I thought David Tennent & Billie Parker were coming back as the new Dr?
    BTW I never realized that Nelly from the Office was Donna. I knew I kne her from somewhere else but never made the connection.

    I just saw where tomorrow is the 5th anniversary of River Song being introduced to us.
    No - Tennant and Piper are there ONLY for the fiftieth anniversary special. It would be in poor form for the show to suddenly go back to a previous Doctor (no matter how much he's lusted after by some of the fans - more for his looks). Plus, it'd stereotype Tennant as ONLY being able to play the Doctor, and that would be a shame because he's been fantastic in the shows he's been in post-Who, even making one HORRID pilot palatable.

    Hurt also isn't a future Doctor - Matt's Doctor recognizes him, and said he did something terrible enough to not be called the Doctor. While there ARE arguments that Hurt is the Valeyard - I doubt it because Hurt's Doctor IS remorseful while the Valeyard actually tried to KILL his previous form (which was in its sixth incarnation - Trial of a Timelord series in the '80s).

    Additionally, we'd know by now or soon if Matt was leaving the series, but it's been said in several reputable papers that he's there for 2014 - half or whole series uncertain (probably due to if he's a success in America with the movie he's currently filming).

    As far as Clara - I don't know if what she became will stay that way or if she gets to return to being just herself. That will be interesting.

    You're not the only one who was surprised to see Catherine Tate in the American version of "The Office." She did help improve the comedy in that show IMHO when Carrell left.

  10. #130
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,077

    Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I liked this episode because of Warwick Davis - it's nice to see him in a role that doesn't have him in elaborate makeup (or in a robot costume like he was for "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" movie).

    That said - I do agree with you on the Cybermen. They ARE better here then they were under Russell T. Davies' care... but ironically I feel their BEST incarnation was their first appearance EVER.

    That serial - "The Tenth Planet" featured Cybermen with fabric faces and actual hands. But, what really worked was whomever was inside the costume could manipulate their jaw to make it look robotic, and even more creepily, as though it was just a skull under that mask.

    The sad part though is that for both that style and the version in "Tomb of the Cybermen" (another creepy Cyberman story) they used a voice box that made the voice operators nauseous using - the vibrations caused the problem. This may explain the way they were styled for future editions.

    (Well all this and I think the Doctor really needs to face a Raston Warrior Robot head on instead of having the Cybermen help him out - "the Five Doctors")
    I liked it, but I find the Cybermen quite scary to begin with and Warrick Davis was great.

    I finally got around to watching Tomb of the Cyberman... creepy! How they could manage to convey fear with limited resources back in the day.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.