+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I don't know about the "retiring" bit, but they are overused at times due to the Nation Estate charging so much for the copyright use of the character. I believe at least one or two series of the show they had to use any character BUT the Daleks because the estate demanded way too much (and I say this being in support of people getting royalties for characters they create).

It'd be nice though for a change - I think one reason I liked Pertwee's tenure is that they went for a very long time without Daleks then and they only appeared I think twice if not max three times in FIVE years as the Doctor.
    I find it a bit weird that Terry Nation had a copyright on the Daleks. Maybe it is different in Europe but normally if you create a new character on a TV series it normally is part of the show. I can see someone owning the creative rights to a particular TV show or movie but not to a specific character that is part of the show.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Did find this:
    Copyright

The Daleks were created by Terry Nation and are copyright 1963/2005 the British Broadcasting Corporation/Terry Nation.

The Doctor Who and Dalek word marks and device marks are trade marks of the British Broadcasting Corporation and the estate of Terry Nation.
    at Legal.

Anyone else watching the new episodes? I thought I would really miss the Ponds (okay, not really Rory, but definitely Amy), but I really don't. I love the new dynamic between the Doctor and Clara. Totally different than his almost fatherly relationship with Amy. There was that moment in "The Bells of St. John" where she flirts with him a bit and, just like a school boy, he says "Shut up!" and stomps off. Loved it.

I had a feeling I'd like Clara based on the Christmas episode, but I really love her. I really hope Matt Smith signs on for another season. He's really grown on me, after I was sure I'd never watch again when David Tennant left.

Loved seeing Dougray Scott on this week's episode!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Liking the Doctor with Clara.

Last nights episode was really good. I was even creeped out at several points! And a side note, Jessica Raine, who played Emma, will be playing one of the founding "fathers" (or in this case mothers" of Doctor Who, Verity Lambert! Its titled An Adventure of Space and Time, and will be about the early days of getting the show made.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I personally am loving the new stories with Clara - she's a bit cheeky, funny, flirty, but also has a wider range of emotions and acting skills than I felt Amy did (though I do think Karen played her well).

What is irritating the daylights out of me is how there are fans over in the UK who are trying to get the BBC to force Matt to leave the show by the end of the Christmas special, trying to demand Tennant come back permanently, being absolutely UGLY toward Matt and Moffat, and the like.

And their hatred is so bad that they're saying the most panned story of RTD's era - the ones with the Slitheen (as they hated the farting aliens and lambasted him for it), is now gold.

They don't get that they're stereotyping Tennant as only being able to play the Doctor (I've seen him in other things and he's fantastic) and RTD isn't coming back to direct. And it's the BBC's fault for how they produce the show now.

I shudder to think what would've happened if we had Internet and these "fans" (not true fans but fans of someone's looks more than work) back when Hartnell was the Doctor.

Well, I love, love, LOVE Matt Smith as the Doctor, more then Tennant. Obviously these are new fans who aren't aware of the history of the show.

I am still trying to get used to Clara. I am still trying to figure out how she was part of the doctor's life at 3 different timeframes. I do miss Amy and where did River Song get to in the galaxy?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I did hear that River will be back.

libgirl, here's what I know:

Click to see Spoiler:
    River is INDEED coming back, in the last episode of the current series/season. She will be in "The Name of the Doctor," which has some fans worried his name will be revealed, but in all honesty I bet this is just when River finds out - probably to save all their lives or something. It also would mean the starting of the end of her character's storyline.

I admit out of the current season, I've liked the stories more with Clara in them; however, I did like "A Town Called Mercy" which was a fun little western type story, and "Asylum of the Daleks" BECAUSE of the surprise in it, and added to the change of how they did the names in the opening vortex made you legitimately wonder if the character was going to start traveling with them. It'd been nice, but I wasn't too surprised.

I admit "The Bells of St. John" was a bit odd, but it wasn't as bad as I think it could've been and was a stronger first story for a companion. The most recent three however have been really good.

+ Reply to Thread