+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    You really could start with the new series and not watch the old. I know many people who are new to the show. Torchwood was great, but they, imho, ruined it when the Americanized it. I couldn't finish watching it and I loved the original, especially Children of Earth.
    Thank you, libgirl. I see that's all of the new series, which is the one I presume began in 2005 with Rose, is available on my Amazon prime video at no charge, so I think I'll dabble as time permits. I also saw that they do have a lot of what they call the "Classic" series starting in the 60's, but not all the episodes.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Strangely, because I do love science fiction, I never watched Dr. Who in its early years and I've felt that it's too late to get into it now. I do watch Torchwood from time to time. I've heard it's an offshoot of Dr. Who, but I don't know if that's true or not.
    Ah, Rose Tyler, Captain Jack Harkness and Christopher Eccleston as the (Ninth Doctor) is basically where the new series starts. Best ever. John Barrowman who played Captain Jack Harkness did such a good job that they created the Torchwood series around him. Torchwood is an anagram for Doctor Who. The Torchwood Institute was created by Queen Victoria. Seems the Doctor upset her.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Episode 4 - The Power of Three

Was cute, nice to see a reference to UNIT and Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and his daughter. Liked the interaction of Rory, Brian, his dad and Amy but what was scary was the bit of foreshadowing as to what happens in the next episode.

Episode 5 - The Angels Take Manhattan

Another Weeping Angels tale and it's written wait for it Stephen Moffat who writes all the Weeping Angels, Daleks and Cybermen stories like he can't do anything else.

I am sad seeing how this ended. It seemed way too soon and in a way it seemed the writers rushed the ending of the Amy Pond, Rory Williams partnership. I wish the story arc had been a bit longer. But wait a sec... the next episode is titled "Pond Life" so maybe there is hope.

Did a little research and technically episode 6 is the Christmas special introducing the new companion but TV.com - Free Full Episodes & Clips, Show Info and TV Listings Guide shows Pond Life as episode 6. But in the Doctor Who Season 7 Wiki - there were 2 supplemental stories one titled "Pond Life" and is a five part mini-adventure premiering on the BBC's Doctor Who website. Hopefully that is what BBC America will air before the Christmas Special.

Well, guess what I found the 5 webisodes of Pond Life posted on the BBC America website. Really they should be watched before season 7 starts it sets up episode 1 beautifully.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 10-14-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Bearcata, there was a special little video done of a scene they took out of the final story of the Ponds that's on their Web site. It's a letter to Rory's Dad from Rory himself. (Won't say anything further).

As far as Amy and Rory's farewell - I actually liked how it ended. Yes, it was sad, but at the same time happy because they lived a full life and remembered the Doctor. Can't say that too much about the other companions post 2005 start.

I do agree with your comment regarding bad guys and Moffatt scripts - he does need to rotate them around more. That said, anytime the Terry Nation estate allows the BBC to use the Daleks, they tend to write as many stories as they can while that permission is still strong. I think there's been one or two seasons in the show's history where they could NOT have the Daleks at all because of disagreements on copyright for the Daleks. I think that there was a possibility that the solo episode "Dalek" in the 2005 series would be the only one for a long time because the argument got that strong.

And in fairness - Moffatt has written the ONE Cybermen included story since he took over as producer - they only make the one appearance in "The Pandorica Opens."

There are some creations in the new run I don't ever want to see again (Slitheen - still the ONE creation since the restart that was a horrid idea IMHO) and others I"m not sure how they'll do in a modern day age (i.e. return of the Sea Devils, the Yeti or even that foam from the one story everyone wishes was around from the Troughton era), or they have had a weak return (Autons, the Macra).

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Bearcata, there was a special little video done of a scene they took out of the final story of the Ponds that's on their Web site. It's a letter to Rory's Dad from Rory himself. (Won't say anything further).

As far as Amy and Rory's farewell - I actually liked how it ended. Yes, it was sad, but at the same time happy because they lived a full life and remembered the Doctor. Can't say that too much about the other companions post 2005 start.

I do agree with your comment regarding bad guys and Moffatt scripts - he does need to rotate them around more. That said, anytime the Terry Nation estate allows the BBC to use the Daleks, they tend to write as many stories as they can while that permission is still strong. I think there's been one or two seasons in the show's history where they could NOT have the Daleks at all because of disagreements on copyright for the Daleks. I think that there was a possibility that the solo episode "Dalek" in the 2005 series would be the only one for a long time because the argument got that strong.

And in fairness - Moffatt has written the ONE Cybermen included story since he took over as producer - they only make the one appearance in "The Pandorica Opens."

There are some creations in the new run I don't ever want to see again (Slitheen - still the ONE creation since the restart that was a horrid idea IMHO) and others I"m not sure how they'll do in a modern day age (i.e. return of the Sea Devils, the Yeti or even that foam from the one story everyone wishes was around from the Troughton era), or they have had a weak return (Autons, the Macra).

From what the Doctor said I got the impression that anyone captured by the Weeping Angels was locked in a room in Winter Quay until they died. That is why I didn't like that ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Sometimes I think the writers are just lazy and continuously give us the Daleks then the ending with them all shouting Doctor Who cute and lame at the same time.
    I was watching one of the Doctor Who specials and they addressed this. From what it sounded like they are planning on "retiring" the Darleks for awhile. The writers themselves realize that the overuse of Darleks have in effect made them one of the easiest to destroy villains since the Doctor has defeated them so often. Hard to have them on one hand be the Doctors most feared enemies and yet have them defeat them at least once a season. This episode was supposed to be how they are retiring them, if the Darleks forget the Doctor exists they don't have to constantly cross paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    From what the Doctor said I got the impression that anyone captured by the Weeping Angels was locked in a room in Winter Quay until they died. That is why I didn't like that ending.
    I'll have to double check, but (in spoilers):

Click to see Spoiler:
    When Amy and Rory created the paradox the building and angels were destroyed. The angel that took Rory - per the Doctor - was supposedly "a survivor but very weak" which implies that the angel was nearly dead due to his food supply being destroyed.

This one is also in spoiler, as it's the addendum they did for a scene that had been in the script but not filmed:

[quote]In the special scene - there is a letter from Rory to Rory's dad explaining what happened, thanked him for being a great father and then goes on to tell him the elderly man who brought the letter is Amy and Rory's grandson, who they adopted. If they were stuck in the Winter Quay, this would not have happened.[/SPOILER]

Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    I was watching one of the Doctor Who specials and they addressed this. From what it sounded like they are planning on "retiring" the Darleks for awhile. The writers themselves realize that the overuse of Darleks have in effect made them one of the easiest to destroy villains since the Doctor has defeated them so often. Hard to have them on one hand be the Doctors most feared enemies and yet have them defeat them at least once a season. This episode was supposed to be how they are retiring them, if the Darleks forget the Doctor exists they don't have to constantly cross paths.
    I don't know about the "retiring" bit, but they are overused at times due to the Nation Estate charging so much for the copyright use of the character. I believe at least one or two series of the show they had to use any character BUT the Daleks because the estate demanded way too much (and I say this being in support of people getting royalties for characters they create).

It'd be nice though for a change - I think one reason I liked Pertwee's tenure is that they went for a very long time without Daleks then and they only appeared I think twice if not max three times in FIVE years as the Doctor.

[QUOTE=jadewarlock;4572157]I'll have to double check, but (in spoilers):

Click to see Spoiler:
    When Amy and Rory created the paradox the building and angels were destroyed. The angel that took Rory - per the Doctor - was supposedly "a survivor but very weak" which implies that the angel was nearly dead due to his food supply being destroyed.

This one is also in spoiler, as it's the addendum they did for a scene that had been in the script but not filmed:

In the special scene - there is a letter from Rory to Rory's dad explaining what happened, thanked him for being a great father and then goes on to tell him the elderly man who brought the letter is Amy and Rory's grandson, who they adopted. If they were stuck in the Winter Quay, this would not have happened.[/SPOILER]
    Watched it here at http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...on-doctor-who/. It was so sweet that I wished they had filmed it but it was just as good with the storyboards, Rory's voice over and the background music. I am writing this with tears in my eyes. I was just lovely.

Then I thought, what adopt only one kid, no way, adopt a whole houseful, and what about Antony's descendents?

+ Reply to Thread