+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Miss USA and Miss Universe

It's all about publicity. When you're in the entertainment field, the more publicity you get, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansmommie;2184434;
    Why does Rosie O'Donnell always have to be in the middle of things that are none of her business? She just like the attention. Now that the Clay Aiken thing has calmed down she just wants more attention.
    And she gave more attention to the even bigger media whore...Donald Trump
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansmommie;2184434;
    Why does Rosie O'Donnell always have to be in the middle of things that are none of her business? She just like the attention. Now that the Clay Aiken thing has calmed down she just wants more attention.
    I don't look at it as Rosie always wanting to be in the middle of things, but she is paid to do her favorite thing... talk. And when you talk and share your opinions, occasionally they get the ire of others. She just doesn't have a self-censor... and doesn't care, either.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Repercussions...........

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/...19&entry=index

MADD Dumps Miss Teen USA; Donald Stews at Rosie
    by Natalie Finn
    Wed, 20 Dec 2006 05:18:00 PM PST

Miss USA isn't the only one whose crown is looking a little tarnished these days.

The advocacy group Mothers Against Drunk Driving has dropped Miss Teen USA Katie Blair as a spokeswoman after it surfaced that the 18-year-old had been spotted drinking (and canoodling) in New York with Miss USA Tara Conner.

"In the past, MADD has teamed with Miss Teen USA to raise awareness about the serious and often deadly consequences of underage drinking," MADD director Heidi Castle said in a statement Wednesday. "However, we do not feel, at this time, that Ms. Blair can be an effective spokesperson on underage drinking and will not ask her to represent MADD in future initiatives."

Donald Trump's Miss Universe Organization, which runs the Miss USA and Miss Teen USA pageants, did not object to MADD's course of action.

"The Miss Universe Organization respects the decision of MADD as much as we respect their work," spokeswoman Lark-Marie Anton said in a statement. "We look forward to working with them in the future."

Anton also said that Blair's crown is safe, as is Conner's, who told reporters that she'll be checking into rehab in order to make a fresh start after her recent stretch of heavy partying. Conner, who won her title in April, just turned 21 Monday.

After gossip columns reported seeing the Russell Springs, Kentucky, native enjoying herself in public a little too much, and following an investigation into her "behavioral and personal issues," Trump opted to give Conner a second chance, provided that she doesn't get into any trouble at all for the rest of her reign.

But while Conner tearfully thanked Trump for "saving [her] on this one," the real estate tycoon's benevolence wasn't sitting so well in another corner of NYC.

Rosie O'Donnell, for one, didn't think very much of Trump's decision, calling him a "snake-oil salesman" during Wednesday's episode of The View and referring to the Miss USA pageant as "basically a model competition."

Speaking in a deeper voice and parting her hair on one side in imitation of the Donald, O'Donnell provided her take on Tuesday's press conference. "I've always been a believer in second chances," she intoned. "'Tara is a good person. Tara has tried hard. Tara is going to be given a second chance."

"[Trump] left the first wife—had an affair. [He] had kids both times, but he's the moral compass," O'Donnell scoffed.

After the show, O'Donnell told Extra backstage that she thinks "everything that Donald does is a ploy to promote the Trump business. That's the bottom line. I don't think he really cares about this young girl.

"I just think he's a hot bag of wind, frankly, with bad hair."

Well, the opinionated talk show maven—who tossed confetti when Britney Spears dumped K-Fed and accused Kelly Ripa of making a homophobic remark to Clay Aiken—may have to put her money where her mouth is this time.

Trump responded to Wednesday's show with guns blazing, calling O'Donnell "a woman out of control" and threatening legal action.

"You can't make false statements," Trump said, per his publicist. "Rosie will rue the words she said. I'll most likely sue her for making those false statements—and it'll be fun. Rosie's a loser. A real loser. I look forward to taking lots of money from my nice fat little Rosie."

Addressing O'Donnell's comment that Miss USA is "basically a model competition" and "Miss America is the prestige," Trump put his trademark positive spin on his pageant franchise.

"She talked about the Miss USA contest, which has terrific ratings on NBC," the Apprentice honcho said. "Miss America got thrown off of network television! It's [on cable] where nobody watches it."

In response to this bout of he-said, she-said, View producers Bill Geddie and Barbara Walters (who is currently on vacation and wasn't a witness to her cohost's latest beef) tried to make light of the situation.

"Both Rosie and Donald are high-spirited, opinionated people," Geddie and Walters said in a statement. "Donald has been a friend of The View for many years and Rosie, of course, is our enormously popular moderator. We cherish them both and hope the new year brings calm and peace."

Meanwhile, a contender for next year's Miss USA title is currently trying to nip a potentially embarrassing situation in the bud before she finds herself facing the Trump firing squad.

Racy photos, including one of her flashing her breasts and one in which she's making out with another girl, have surfaced of Miss Nevada Katie Rees. The 22-year-old 's lawyer released a statement to Extra Wednesday explaining that the pics were taken at a party in Tampa before she won her title.

“Katie Rees—Miss Nevada USA wants the public to know she was 17 and had a lapse in judgment," said attorney Mario Torres. "The actions on that evening in subject are in no way indicative of the person she is or the person she has become…she is a law abiding citizen and talented adult. She has on many occasions given of herself and her time in the community and done community services. This was an isolated incident that occurred more than five years ago when she was a minor.”
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Oops...another newsflash.....

http://www.people.com/people/article...005299,00.html

Miss Nevada Stripped of Title
    By Stephen M. Silverman

Miss Nevada Katie Rees has been stripped of her crown for allegedly appearing in steamy photographs that reportedly have been circulated on the Internet.

In a statement released Thursday, Paula M. Shugart, president of the Miss Universe Organization, said: "Katie Rees has been relieved of her duties as Miss Nevada USA 2007. First runner-up Helen Salas will assume the title and compete at the 2007 Miss USA Pageant on March 23 in Los Angeles, California."

The 22-year-old, who was crowned in October, was due to represent her state in the Miss USA Pageant next spring.

In a statement to TV's Extra, an attorney for the dismissed beauty queen says: "Katie Rees ... wants the public to know she was 17 and had a lapse in judgment."

As for the photos in question, the statement says: "The actions on that evening in subject are in no way indicative of the person she is or the person she has become. She is a law-abiding citizen and talented adult. This was an isolated incident that occurred more than five years ago when she was a minor."

Her attorney, Mario Torres, added in statement to PEOPLE: "We think it is inequitable that Miss USA was allowed a second chance for something she did weeks ago and Katie is being punished for something that happened five years ago."

Rees's dismissal comes on the same day that the current Miss USA, Tara Conner, who was nearly removed from her throne earlier this week, entered a Pennsylvania rehab facility as one of the conditions Trump imposed upon the 21-year-old after recent reports of her alleged hard-partying ways.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Good point by her attorney.......

Seems to be a domino effect going on...

http://www.people.com/people/article...005269,00.html

Miss USA Enters Pennsylvania Rehab
    THURSDAY DECEMBER 21, 2006 01:30 PM EST

Miss USA Tara Conner entered rehab in Pennsylvania on Thursday, Donald Trump, who co-owns the Miss Universe organization, confirms to PEOPLE.

Conner is expected to stay at the facility for three weeks, according to a source.

On Tuesday Trump allowed Conner to retain her title despite allegations of drug and alcohol abuse, indiscretions with men and her apparent lack of reliability when it came to showing up at Miss USA-related events.

"I've always been a believer in second chances," Trump said at a press conference before announcing that Conner would go to rehab for alcohol abuse. "Tara is good person. Tara has tried hard. Tara is going to be given a second chance."

Conner's troubles also resulted in a nasty feud between Trump and Rosie O'Donnell, who criticized the real-estate mogul's decision to give Conner a second chance.

Conner, who turned 21 on Monday, admitted to drinking while underage, and tearfully apologized for her behavior. Still, she said Thursday, "I wouldn't say that I'm an alcoholic. I think that would be pushing the envelope."

Trump, who plans to have Conner take regular drug tests, said she could be a role model for other "troubled people".

"I don't think she's denying she's an alcoholic," he told New York's Daily News. "She can be a great example for troubled people – and she's troubled."

I haven't commented in this thread til now because as disgusted as I was by the Tara Conner/Donald Trump incident, I hoped the story would go away and make room for real news. And the idea of beauty pageants at any age is something I find revolting and contributory towards unrealistic ideals for young ladies. Unfortunately, it only seemed to open up a whole new genre of media reporting and investigations, so I guess we're stuck with the story for awhile.

I really don't see that this is a complicated issue in any sense of the word. Tara Conner knew the rules of being Miss USA. She knew she was a role model for young women. And she admitted she drank in clubs while underage and while she was Miss USA, so she knew she was breaking the Miss USA rules and that she was doing something illegal while wearing that title. I haven't heard her claim that anyone forced her to do these things, so I'll assume she did it freely and voluntarily. She made a choice that should have had consequences.

She got caught by the media. She's lucky she didn't get caught by the police. But nonetheless, she got caught by the media. She admitted the drinking underage in clubs and didn't deny the other accusations. She should have been relieved of her 'crown' because she violated the morality clause and because she admitted to illegal acts while wearing the 'crown'. Trump is a complete moron for giving her a second chance. Second chances are viable and a good idea in some cases, but not in this case.

And I don't buy the excuse that her second chance is warranted because she agreed to go to rehab. That's fine that she's going, whether by force or by her own request, and I hope the rehab does her some good, but it doesn't mitigate the illegal and immoral (by Miss USA standards) conduct she admitted to. Life has consequences, at least for most people. Like Dagny, I'm sick of celebs (even minor ones like Tara Conner) using the "I have an addiction" Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card anytime they get caught and want to buy public sympathy. She admits to what she did, fine. She feels remorse -- well, I imagine her remorse is at getting caught, not in doing it, but ok sure, fine. She goes to rehab, fine. But that doesn't entitle her to... well, to entitlement. Donald should have said "Sorry this happened to you, Tara, and I wish you all the best in rehab and in your life, and no hard feelings, but we're going to have to let you go because you failed to uphold your contract and you did illegal activities on Miss USA time." Taking responsibility for your wrong actions is fast becoming a lost ideal in this country. Almost as lost as authority figures who also refuse to enforce responsibility.

Yes, I know that 20 year old girls like to party, and what she did is sickenly commonplace among 20 year olds today. But for the Miss USA year of her life, she was not a common 20-year old free to party underage in clubs and generally act like she was auditioning for a Girls Gone Wild video. She knew that. And now she and every other aspiring beauty pageant winner and young girl who looks up to these airheads knows they can probably give it a try and the odds are they'll get away with it if they get caught.

Trump and Conner both got what they crave most.. publicity and attention. And no one has to pay any price. Lovely. Not. :nono
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Nemeses, great post and well said!

Excellent post Nemeses. I agree with you 100 percent.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...t/16346108.htm

No second chance for Miss Nevada USA
    Associated Press

NEW YORK - Miss Nevada USA Katie Rees is not getting her tiara back after losing it because she appeared in a slew of prurient pictures - and that's final, pageant officials said Friday in response to speculation stirred up by pageant co-owner Donald Trump.

"The Miss Universe Organization has thoroughly considered the request of Ms. Katie Rees to be reinstated as Miss Nevada USA 2007," official said in a statement released to The Associated Press. "In light of the serious nature of the circumstances, there is no recourse but to stand by our decision."

Trump told the television show "Extra" in a segment broadcast Thursday that he was looking at the Dec. 21 decision to fire Rees, fueling buzz that the beauty queen might be reinstated.

Rees was stripped of her title after racy photos of her appeared on the Internet. Some of the photos showed Rees, 22, kissing other young women, exposing one of her breasts and pulling down her pants to show her thong underwear at a party in Tampa, Fla.

Rees' lawyer had also asked that his client be given a second chance similar to the one recently given to Miss USA Tara Conner, who was caught drinking in New York bars when she was still underage.

Trump decided to allow Conner to remain Miss USA after she agreed to go into rehab and undergo drug testing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    I don't agree with one being allowed to continue her reign while the other one is being punished.

That being said, I have seen the pictures of Miss Nevada on TMZ and while I am by no means a prude, those photos were a little more racy that what I had originally had in my mind. How embarrassing not only for her but for the other girls in the pictures who have possibly moved on, gotten married, had kids, etc...they didn't ask for this to be brought up either!

You just never know when your past is going to come back and bite you in the ass!!!

+ Reply to Thread