+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Miss USA and Miss Universe

FORT Fanatic
    I wonder what would have happened if it were the minority woman who had won and then got caught doing coke, being promiscuous, and drinking undkerage. Would Trump have given her the second chance, or would she have been demoted in favor of the pretty white girl who looks like the women that Trump goes for.

FORT Fogey
    There's a factor in Trump's involvement that I have not seen mentioned anywhere thus far. That is the fact that he does not drink at all, and is very aware of and concerned about addiction because of his experience with his brother who suffered from addiction. (He may have died from alcoholism, but I cannot remember if that's the case for sure) So as arrogant and self-promoting as Trump usually is, when it comes to issues dealing with chemical addiction, I don't question his sincerity. And I think he'd give that same level of compassion to any woman, regardless of race or appearance.

FORT Fanatic
    I just find the "I have an addiction" excuse to be played a little too often these days. Yes, some people have genuine addictions. But other people are just looking for an easy excuse after they get caught doing something they're not supposed to do.
    Is drinking in clubs fun? Yep.
    Is doing recreational amounts of cocaine fun? Guess so - or else people wouldn't do it.
    This girl was not out there smoking crack or doing meth, she was just partying like a lot of other young beautiful people in New York are doing. She was just stupid enough to let it interfere with job commitments that she only has to keep up for one stinking year. She made a mistake and thought she could get away with something and she didn't pull it off. I don't condemn her, but I think it's silly to just act like the poor girl got swept away by it all. If I was doing coke and shrugging off work obligations, I wouldn't expect second chances and offers of paid rehab. I would know that I need to pay for my mistakes.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Dagny, In my opinion, I really don't think race would have played a part in this at all....if nothing else, Donald would have been scrutinized even more if it had been a black Miss USA under the same situation.

I think he handled it well and hopefully Tara will learn from this and truly realize how lucky she was to get a 2nd chance!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Call me naive-- I would have thought implants anywhere would be against the rules of these contests...that you might even need some kind of X-ray or MRI to establish that you are all you, lips, rear, breasts, et al.
    If you allow all this stuff it just becomes who has the best plastic surgeon....

Quote Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart;2182906;
    I wonder what would have happened if it were the minority woman who had won and then got caught doing coke, being promiscuous, and drinking undkerage. Would Trump have given her the second chance, or would she have been demoted in favor of the pretty white girl who looks like the women that Trump goes for.
    You know, i was thinking exactly the same thing. All the noise about his deep concern for her feels squicky - whoever his current "wife" is, she's probably a little uneasy, too.

And I agree that she knew the rules of conduct when she entered the pageant. It's just another indictment of our society that she thought once she won, the rules didn't really apply to her. Because that's been the trend in this country for at least a decade now: if you're poor, plain, overweight, or too ethnic, you pay for breaking the law. If you're rich, beautiful, or successful, you laugh it off and your idiot fans support you all the way. One of my pet peeves.

But I'm really glad to hear Tara is facing up to the situation and is getting some help. I hope it's sincere and the rehab works.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2182933;
    Call me naive-- I would have thought implants anywhere would be against the rules of these contests...that you might even need some kind of X-ray or MRI to establish that you are all you, lips, rear, breasts, et al.
    If you allow all this stuff it just becomes who has the best plastic surgeon....
    The Miss USA pageant was the first I believe to allowed cosmetic surgery for contestants since the early 2000's. I do remember a plastic surgeon out of Florida that boasts himself as the official plastic surgeon of Miss Brazil USA.

FORT Fanatic
    In 2002, Trump fired Miss Universe - a Russian woman - for missing some photo shoots and official events. So, the lesson here is that if you miss an event, you get fired. If you do lines of coke off of Miss Teen USA, you get to cry about it and keep your crown.
    Listen up children, these are important lessons.
    Tara conner has been competing in pageants since she was 4 years old. Her life has been built on keeping up an image. She knew what she was doing, yet she chose to break the rules because she thought there would be no consequences to her actions. But there was a consequence - this aspiring bathing suit pin-up girl now gets boatloads of free publicity and a jumpstart to her D-list career after her reign. Most people - aside from those who follow pageants(!) or watch Project Runway - would have never heard of this girl. Now she's going to be fending off offers from all the men's magazines and she has a semi-famous name. AND people are actually feeling sorry for her!
    Good job, Tara. Well-played. Way to not learn a lesson. What a great example for young women - if you are born pretty and can afford to compete in pageants and bleach your teeth and tan your skin and color your hair and augment your breasts and buy expensive clothing, you can also break all the rules and end up smelling like a rose at the end of it all.
    Oh, if you're ugly and get caught doing coke instead of your job? Sorry, you're probably going to have to accept responsibility for your actions and accept the loss of your job. But really, isn't it your fault for not being pretty?

Great post Danny!!

Quote Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart;2183065;
    Most people - aside from those who follow pageants(!) or watch Project Runway - would have never heard of this girl.
    I saw another reference to her and Project Runway - was she a model on one of the seasons? I don't remember her...

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2183079;
    Great post Danny!!

I saw another reference to her and Project Runway - was she a model on one of the seasons? I don't remember her...

In one of the challenges for the most recent season, the designers had to design a dress for her to wear in the Miss Universe pagent. She came on to tell them what she wanted in a dress, and served as guest judge. She chose the dress that Kayne, and whoever was partnered with him made for her.

+ Reply to Thread