+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Miss USA and Miss Universe

Re: Miss USA and Miss Universe

She has a right to say what she said, and Perez Hilton had the right to say what he said.

What is annoying is that this woman...who lost...is basically saying the woman who won did not deserve to be there. Why should the Miss USA Pageant defend her?
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

I think that's why she's not getting a lot of support from the pageant too. It's not because she has conservative values that's the problem. It's this media circus surrounding her and how she believes she should have won just because she existed and she must not have won because of her answer (because it had nothing to do with her attitude). I could care less what her opinion is but there are good and bad ways to present it. Her opinion affects very little in anyone's day to day life.

They all look, talk and act the same to me. I watched the winner give this hopeless canned response to the same question on TV just after talking about seeing herself with her "white teeth" winning. I wish I was kidding.

She spoke very little of what she was going to do to make the world a better place and more about her pretty white teeth and pageants in general.

Personally I think they should quit this charade of asking these girls any questions and treat it like it is. It is a place for girls to parade around in batheing suits and pretty clothes to and smile. And honestly I don't know how anyone with "traditional" values can honestly be seen on television wearing little more than underwear and feel morally superior to the rest of us.

Yeah, as John Stewart from the Kingston Trio wrote- "Miss America, I got your game- it's a Christian Burlesque Show! Feeding their eyes on your sweet young thighs; pretending that you don't know..."

I guess you have to say everyone really made out- Perez is now much better known, Miss California is a new conservative and Christian star and Miss USA and Trump got millions of dollars of free publicity! But maybe the real Miss USA is forgotten (she may not be the brightest bulb anyway...) NOW, if she can only win Miss Universe so Miss Calif becomes Miss USA- WHAT a trip that would be!!

I really didn't like the political questions that several contestants had to answer, because it did put them in an awkward position. Perez didn't have to like her answer, but was he there just to find someone who thinks/believes just like he does? He should have given her some credit for answering honestly - he did ask for her opinion.
    I think I was the only one who kind of liked the answer given by AZ (I think?) where she said whatever side you're on you should make decisions w/integrity. It seemed she was trying to be politically correct and not take sides on stage, but then they didn't like it. I know she wasn't very clear either, but hey, she tried.

Her job as Miss USA is to be a spokesperson - she needs to be able to answer questions and sound intelligent. I'm not sure she'd be answering politically hot questions about gay marriage or abortion in her daily rounds, but if so she'd probably get some coaching on how not to answer them. So, I understand asking contestants tough questions, but they shouldn't be so polarizing.

Then, what else bothers me is the impression that all these girls are just dumb, fake idiots. People who are angry about the gay marriage comments are then turning around calling this group of people names. Like any other group, there are all different kinds of personalities, intelligence levels, and motives involved. Saying they're all this-or-that, is uncalled for. I've known a few girls who've been in pageants, and have witnessed the stereotypical snotty types, but there are genuine, smart, ambitious girls in them too.
    Many have gone on to careers in the entertainment industry (Halle Berry, Vanessa Williams, Ali Landry, etc) where their good looks and ability to communicate have paid off. Why fault anyone for trying to make a start in whatever way they can, using opportunities that are available to them? You don't have to like pageants, but some people do and that is their option. Name calling is not cool.

^ I agree!! I knew someone who took her Miss America Pageant experience and rolled it into a very nice acting and modeling career..She was far from dumb and much more savvy that she seemed when you only noticed her looks...Her poise, discipline and ability to handle people were impressive- If I had been a big executive or politician, she would have been a dream wife with her beauty and social skills!

I don't think they're all dumb but when they're trying to be the moral compass and putting themselves out there like that and strolling around stage wearing tiny little swim suits that's flat out hypocritical. First of all.

Secondly, many of these girls give very poor scripted answers to questions. That does not high light their intelligence at all.

Thirdly, when the winner is sitting on national tv talking about how she saw her self and her white teeth (I wish I was making that up) winning... it makes them look kind of vacant. If that is the best the winner can do you have to wonder about the rest of them.

It is what it is. It is a beauty contest. It has little to nothing to do with thinking or being intelligent. It is a way for girls to get publicity and win money. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle;3424624;
    I think I was the only one who kind of liked the answer given by AZ (I think?) where she said whatever side you're on you should make decisions w/integrity. It seemed she was trying to be politically correct and not take sides on stage, but then they didn't like it. I know she wasn't very clear either, but hey, she tried.

This would be a good answer if it were a different question. Wasn't her question on whether or not Universal Healthcare was a good idea here? Her answer made no sense.

Perez Hilton proved that he is a J-Ass.

Oy...Heidi Montag lip-syncing and attempting to dance made me throw up a little in my mouth. She has NO rhythm whatsover, and whoever gave her a music career should be shot.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

I wasn't aware she had a career generally speaking let alone a music career.

+ Reply to Thread