+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Miss USA and Miss Universe

Re: Miss USA and Miss Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg;3420306;
    she doesn't *HATE* anyone like some are saying on the blogs and whatnot, why can't she have her own opinion?
    Exactly. She is expected to respect others right to believe gay marriage is right, why can't they respect that she thinks it is wrong? Respect is a two way street.

she's certainly getting more PR mileage out of this than the woman that was actually crowned.

The Miss USA people are probably loving this. They are getting tons of publicity, too.

Fort Member

I really dont like Perez Hilton, but from what he has said it was not the fact that she voiced her opposition to gay marriage but the way she said it. I do not agree with what she said but I think the second part of her speech where she voiced her actual opinion was fine and was all she really needed to say. The first half of her statement is where she lost me and why I think Perez thought she was an idiot, she was probably trying to be diplomatic but it just came accross as showing her ignorance IMO
    The first part of her reply was: " Well i think its great that Americans are able to choose one way or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same sex marriage or oppersite marriage"

The gay community would have been able to make a much better point of all this if Perez hadn't called her disgusting names...
    And where are the women's rights people defending her from the name calling and supporting her right to speak her mind? And, her State just overturned the gay marriage law, so there must be a few people in California who agree with her...So much for her "out of touch views" being a reason to not represent the Miss USA crown...
    I am waiting for Trump to have a press conference- he really needs to get involved here- he is meeting with Miss California Wednesday...Donald- how about not allowing politically charged judges and questions to determine the winner from now on- huh? It's young girls in a BEAUTY PAGEANT, for God's sake!!

If they don't have questions then they can't say they're really role models for girls because then it's only about looks and looks alone.

As a bisexual feminist I find beauty pagents silly and degrading to women generally speaking. Which might be why the feminist community isn't rushing to the aid of this person because we fought long and hard to be more than just eye candy. So whatever is said at these things really holds no water for me. I'm called a f***** everytime I go out with another women. That is my reality. I want my basic civil rights and it doesn't matter to me what some hopelessly fake woman says at some pagent.
    Last edited by fluff; 04-22-2009 at 01:48 PM.

I don't think she lost because of her stance, but more of the way she answered the question.

I personally hope that one day our nation will be more open minded about the situation, our country has grown and evolve from sooooo many adversities, from colored people, women's rights, etc etc...its gonna take time, its a process, but i hope that someday, within my lifetime we'll see more changes for gays and lesbians.

1st - Perez Hilton qualified to judge anyone why? how?
    2nd - He writes and posts garbage, he trashes people and others defend his right to say it, so he has the nerve to bash anyone else for having an opinion?
    Self-reliance is the only road to true freedom, and being one's own person is its ultimate reward.
    --Patricia Sampson

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3419736;
    I don't understand what the point of these pagents are. I really don't care what these ladies believe. And throughout my life have chose other role models. Other than girls who are into pagents how many other average girls pick these women to be role models?

Then if you look at the time slot it is on... it appears they are marketing this more for middle aged men than little girls to have someone to look up to...
    Yep, the Miss USA pageant is definitely more "beauty"-they don't have talent, and I find that the girls in the Miss America system (at least this year) were way better.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess;3421576;
    I don't think she lost because of her stance, but more of the way she answered the question.

I personally hope that one day our nation will be more open minded about the situation, our country has grown and evolve from sooooo many adversities, from colored people, women's rights, etc etc...its gonna take time, its a process, but i hope that someday, within my lifetime we'll see more changes for gays and lesbians.
    And I hope that a lovely young woman with traditional beliefs will not be subjected to vicious attacks for expressing her opinion...She was not out campaigning for her beliefs, she was asked her opinion and gave it- and now even the Miss USA Pageant has not defended her nor denounced her attacker...Disgraceful!

+ Reply to Thread