+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Miss USA and Miss Universe

Re: Miss USA and Miss Universe

I applaud Ms. California for giving a answer that truly reflects how she feels and her own moral compass. I am sick of watching pageants and see people giving out PC answers in order to win a crown. If the crown was worth having then the judges would have respected her right to her feelings on the subject. Perez Hilton wants people to respect his rights to be with who he wants but he doesn't give MS California respect for sticking to what she feels his right.

Personally I don't care if a person wants to marry The bear in the Big Blue house. I do however give others the same right to disagree with me.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm glad she didn't win. These women are also supposed to serve as role models for younger girls. I'd rather not have attitudes like her perpetuated.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3419479;
    I'm glad she didn't win. These women are also supposed to serve as role models for younger girls. I'd rather not have attitudes like her perpetuated.
    I am sorry but the last person I look to for a role model is some girl in a pageant. The role model in your life should be the people that gave you birth, the great teacher that gave you the things needed to succeed in life,etc. A pageant winner is not a role model. The last time I checked the truth is something to strive for. Ms. California's may not be speak for everyone but she is allowed, at least in this country to speak for herself and she did.

I don't agree with her views but she has the right to express them.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm not saying that she should've lied or withheld her opinion, no one has. It's not even about that.
    It just so happens that the judges didn't agree with her and didn't want her representing such a legacy.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Well, the truth is that I would neither condemn nor condone her position itself....but the way she expressed it made it sound like she was out of touch with reality. And as a Californian, I cringed when she went into the spiel that sounded like we were our own separate country. Opinions, you are entitled to....but the expression thereof should make sense....even in a beauty pageant!
    Last edited by Jazzie1953; 04-21-2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: critical typo correction!
    "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."
    Joseph Brodsky: (1940-1996) Russian-US poet

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

What I'm not liking is the backlash today...Watch- there will be demonstrations now wherever she makes an appearance...She's entitled to her opinion, too! Poor girl will never hear the end of it now...
    And, BTW- I have heard no one mention all day that she got a round of applause after she finished- so there were a few people who agreed with her...

^It was a mix of boos and cheers, but all viewers could hear were the cheers.

I feel bad for her. She didn't seem like the person with the best attitude, but this is an unfortunate position to be in, especially considering that she chose the question from the luck of the draw. Even if she had said that she supported gay rights, I'm sure that they would be people out there that would be talking about her answer in a negative way. It was a lose-lose situation either way.

If you check the front page of Yahoo, it currently has a story that shows Perez saying that she lost solely based on her answer to his question. There's no way that she only lost because of her answer. Miss NC won both the swimsuit and the evening gown and had a decent answer to her Final Question (although there was quite a long pause before she said anything). There was no way Miss NC was going to fall from the top position.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I don't understand what the point of these pagents are. I really don't care what these ladies believe. And throughout my life have chose other role models. Other than girls who are into pagents how many other average girls pick these women to be role models?

Then if you look at the time slot it is on... it appears they are marketing this more for middle aged men than little girls to have someone to look up to...

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Look at it this way, if she thinks CA is a country how dumb does that make people who oppose gay marriage look?

the girl is not the most articulate person (btw, why do these pageant chicks sound like thier lips are swollen when they talk for a mniute there i thought we had another "us americans.." moment)

anyways, the girl gave her opinion when she was asked a question

that idiot perez hilton said afterwards that she should have said a politically correct answer or avoided the question like a politician

that is B.S., if you don't want a real answer, don't ask the question

she doesn't *HATE* anyone like some are saying on the blogs and whatnot, why can't she have her own opinion?

i have a feeling the research teams / operatives are already on the case trying to gather any dirt on her to destroy her because she doesn't have the PC beliefs

+ Reply to Thread