+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Miss USA and Miss Universe

Re: Miss USA and Miss Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2422886;
    My mom couldn't let go of Miss Angola's hair or should i say, lack thereof.
    You might have Angola and Tanzania confused -- Angola had fairly long hair, while Tanzania had the shaved head. It would have been nice for someone from Africa to win. They've only produced 3 winners in over 55 years of the contest, most recently in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2422947;
    This year's contest was marked by controversy, with a handful of Mexicans booing Smith in the run-up to the finals because of what they saw as U.S. unfriendliness toward illegal immigrants.
    If what Yahoo! says is true, then it's very disappointing.
    I think that is some misinformation there. Why would they suddenly start booing at that particuliar point in the night? It was Miss USAs first appearance in the top 5 after Mexico's elimination, despite her having taken a nasty fall. The booing also died off after that, until Trump's name was mentioned. I would have booed too -- he looked extra evil last night.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

FORT Newbie

Miss USA was booed all week at every appearance. It was definitely because of the immigration issue, and not so much because she beat Miss Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace232521;2423153;
    Miss USA was booed all week at every appearance. It was definitely because of the immigration issue, and not so much because she beat Miss Mexico.
    Ok...didn't know about the rest of that, only what I saw on TV last night. Thanks for clearing it up.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

I thought Miss Tanzania was gorgeous. (Even with her shaved head.)
    She has an engineering degree. I wish she would have made the Top 5.

FORT Fanatic

Hilarious that they find the US rude to ILLEGAL immigrants! We hate our country so much we want to come to the US but yet we are going to hate the US because they want us to obey the rules! Now lets all boo a girl on stage because her country wants the illegals to get in line and obey the rules! What a joke!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I watched the show last night and thought the booing of Miss Mexico not getting picked and the boing because Miss America got picked was EXTREMELY tacky and classless. But Miss USA handled it all with charm and grace - and good for her. First she falls flat on her a$$ on stage in front of the world, and then without skipping a beat managed to pick herself up and continue smiling and continue her walk-about (or whatever the heck it's called) without looking the least bit rattled. Then after practically getting booed off stage during her question segment she STILL manages to hold it all together. I'm sure they probably get training or advice on how to handle these types of incidents leading up to the pageant, but many a girl would have probably crumbled under the embarrassment and pressure, but she came across very poised and graceful. She should be very proud of herself. Hell, I was proud of her and I'm not even American.

This was a group of beautiful women for sure. Venezula, Angola, Tanzania, Japan, Korea and Brazil, particularly.

I was glad Miss Japan won.

FORT Fogey

Oh wow, i didn't think anyone will come to this thread.
    Anyways, Miss japan totally deserves it, she is not your cookie cutter western beauty queen. I knew an asian was going to win ever since they named the judges. I take Japan over Korea. and since when do you see 4 asians in top 15? even in thailand there were only 1.

Venezuela, what can i say? she was wow, she should have been 1st runner up, she was mesmerizing. Brazil had the best gown.

Rachel, i felt bad, i love her but honestly her spot belonged to Angola or Tanzania.

The mexicans where just rude,plain rude .Miss mexico had the worse gown ever, no wonder she ranked dead last.

All in all, finally a winner from a far east. you have to realise Japan is becoming a huge market for the miss universe organisation. The crown is even made there.

-The latin were not strong this year as they used to be. Only Venezuela stood out since the beginning. Mexico had home court advantage.
    -The european also didn't seen to care, you should see the preliminaires, they wore the worse gowns

Next year, it will be in Puerto rico. SNAP!! i hope they change it to japan.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by muggle;2423128;
    You might have Angola and Tanzania confused -- Angola had fairly long hair, while Tanzania had the shaved head. It would have been nice for someone from Africa to win. They've only produced 3 winners in over 55 years of the contest, most recently in 1999.

I think that is some misinformation there. Why would they suddenly start booing at that particuliar point in the night? It was Miss USAs first appearance in the top 5 after Mexico's elimination, despite her having taken a nasty fall. The booing also died off after that, until Trump's name was mentioned. I would have booed too -- he looked extra evil last night.
    This isn't the first time Miss USA has been booed in Mexico. When the pageant was held there in 1993, Mexico didn't make the top 10 but Miss USA did, and she was booed throughout the entire evening, until she got cut at the top 6.. Dick Clark quit hosting the pageant after that out of protest. Last night's pageant was a mess, but the only highlight was seeing Donald get booed I wonder how he likes it. He looked like he wanted to run and hide. I don't know what happened to USA, but she just didn't seem on last night. I'm sure it was a lot of factors, and I don't think not wanting to win was one of them, judging by her reaction when she got called into the top 5. But I believe that fall was the beginning of the end for her. And then getting booed for her top 5 question, my heart went out to her. I can't believe Japan ended up winning, much less scoring so high in swimsuit. And while I'm all about wanting a girl's culture to reflect in her wardrobe choices, I hated her evening gown. Also didn't care for USA's. I hate those translators, because they always manage to screw it up for someone (they did it to Spain in 1999 and 2000). I knew Venezuela and Korea blew it with their final question (did Venezuela even answer it?) so I really thought Brazil had it in the bag. Only real surprise not to make the top 15 was Greece, who I thought on looks alone was a lock for the top 5. I was happy to see more of Europe and Asia represented.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-29-2007 at 02:37 PM.

The mexicans where just rude,plain rude .Miss mexico had the worse gown ever, no wonder she ranked dead last.
    In their eyes i guess they're justified, one of the contestants fell and it wasn't their candidate. Yet, she made it on to the top 5. Points for composure or pity? Or even solidarity?
    As for the Mexico candidate, the country forgot that she had noticeable shnozz and a big butt.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;2423350;
    I don't know what happened to USA, but she just didn't seem on last night.
    Other than the fall she had, Miss USA definitely has it on IMO. She scored very high during the evening gown competition, even though she fell. If she hadn't fallen on her butt, I think she could have gotten a 9.754, instead of an 8.754. And like other posters before me, I thought Rachel handled herself very well.

And muggle, yup, she was booed when all the girls presented their national costumes right before the actual pageant. That was the time she got booed for treating those illegal immigrants badly. But she was definitely booed during the pageant for making it into the top 5 and beating out Miss Mexico. The crowd probably thought someone who fell on their butt should not have maken it to the final round.

+ Reply to Thread