+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Miss USA and Miss Universe

Re: Miss USA and Miss Universe

Definitely have to say, Venezuela has some of the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen.

Crowd at least was better to USA on her final walk there.

LOL! Trump got booed!
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

The outgoing Miss Universe is stunning too!

4th: USA

3rd: Korea

2nd: Venezula

1st: Brazil

Winner: Japan

You were right muggle!!

I was looking at the computer but did Miss Venezula walk up when Miss Korea was called? When I looked back at the TV, Venezula was walking back to her spot and then they called her name?!
    Last edited by bbnbama; 05-28-2007 at 11:16 PM.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Okay, I'm done...

Quote Originally Posted by muggle;2422642;
    Miss Japan was the only one to say a sentence, let it be interpreted, and then say her next sentence. Was very smart. I think she can still pull this off, but it will be close with Brazil/Venezuela. With two asians in the final 5, I think my initial prediction for an Asian winner is very possible. I'm still mad about Angola.
    Man, I'm good at this. I picked her out to win during the very first walkthrough. She just had something very unique to her, and I really think this pageant was due for an asian winner.

I did this a couple of years ago with the woman from the Dominican Republic too. I should be in the pageant business.

I didn't catch any of that Venezuela issue BBN, but I'll rewatch it later on DVR.

Was fun. Sorry leogirl, you'll be back.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Japan wins-- my husband is happy! Happy for her, she deserved it, and she looked genuinely surprised (not fake or put on like many pageant winners appear) when she won.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

My mom couldn't let go of Miss Angola's hair or should i say, lack thereof.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

muggle, you are good! I would have never predicted Japan as the winner. I had Brazil pegged as the winner, since she always got the highest scores. She probably bombed the last question.

I always root for the home girl, so I was disappointed when Miss USA didn't win. But I really didn't believe she would win; she had everything going against her. She tripped, and if she won, she probably would have been booed.

I'm also mad about Angola. If Miss USA didn't win, then I wanted someone who hasn't won yet to win. I don't remember Angola winning, so I was rooting for her.

I'm very happy Japan was the winner though. I remember watching some video about the girls on YouTube. I watched it right before the pageant premiered. There was a comment made about Miss Japan, and it went like this: "Miss Japan is a very cute girl, but I really don't see her making it as far as last year's Miss Japan did." Guess she proved that person wrong.

And I propose that Miss Universe doesn't go to Mexico anymore. Unless Miss Mexico will win, the crowd is just going to be angry and bitter, and they'll take their rage out on anyone. This time, it happened to be Miss USA (again).

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2422929;
    And I propose that Miss Universe doesn't go to Mexico anymore. Unless Miss Mexico will win, the crowd is just going to be angry and bitter, and they'll take their rage out on anyone. This time, it happened to be Miss USA (again).
    Alright, maybe there was more to it. I was just reading a story on Yahoo! about the crowning of Miss Japan, and I read this:

Japan's Mori wins troubled Miss Universe contest
    By Monica Medel
    Tonight at 8:57 pm

A raven-haired Miss Japan, Riyo Mori, was crowned Miss Universe 2007 on Monday in a contest marked by protests, a banned dress and the withdrawal of one beauty queen on the ground the pageant degrades women.

Mori, 20, the 56th winner of the title, was given her $250,000 diamond-and-pearl crown by last year's winner, Zuleyka Rivera of Puerto Rico, watched by a live audience of 10,000 and some 600 million television viewers worldwide.

A lifelong ballet dancer from a village near Mount Fuji, Mori wore a striking black gown with colored lapels for the final. Winning surpassed the ambition of her grandmother, who told her as a child she wanted her to be Miss Japan one day.

"My mind went blank," she said of the winning moment.

During the evening gown parade, Miss USA, Rachel Smith, slipped on the runway and landed on her bottom, although the slip didn't stop her earning fifth place.

This year's contest was marked by controversy, with a handful of Mexicans booing Smith in the run-up to the finals because of what they saw as U.S. unfriendliness toward illegal immigrants.

Miss Sweden, Isabel Lestapier Winqvist, unexpectedly pulled out of the event because of complaints in her country that it degrades women. Sweden has won the Miss Universe crown three times in the past.

In another hitch, Miss Mexico was made to change her outfit for the regional dress contest after her original dress, decorated with brutal images of rebels in a 1920s religious uprising being hanged or shot, drew accusations of poor taste.

DREADLOCKS

The annual Miss Universe pageant -- which tries to present itself as something more meaningful than a swimwear parade -- was first held in Long Beach, California, in 1952. The event was taken over in 1996 by U.S. real estate mogul Donald Trump.

This year, it attracted protesters wearing white dresses splashed with fake blood and sashes proclaiming "Miss Juarez," "Miss Atenco" and "Miss Michoacan" in reference to places in Mexico made infamous by killings or sexual abuse of women.

In another quirk for 2007, the long, twisted dreadlocks of Miss Jamaica, the contest's first ever Rastafarian participant, and the close-shaved head of Miss Tanzania stood out from the lacquered manes of the other contestants.

Last year's Miss Universe event in Los Angeles also made its mark when winner Rivera caused gasps by slumping to the ground in a faint during a post-pageant news conference.

As well as strutting in cocktail dresses and bikinis, the 77 contestants from nations ranging from Albania to Zambia traveled in Mexico in the lead-up to the event, visiting Mayan ruins and learning about endangered animals.

They also had to answer questions to put their personalities and public speaking ability to the test.

This was the fourth time the pageant was held in Mexico, which in 1991 won the crown with beauty queen Lupita Jones.

Mori -- the second Japanese woman to win the Miss Universe title -- will spend her year-long reign traveling the world to speak out on humanitarian issues like poverty and disease.
    Link

If what Yahoo! says is true, then it's very disappointing.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

My mother kept saying that she thought they were booing Miss USA because of the immigration issues and I kept trying to say it was because she made it to the Top 5 over Miss Mexico........hmm...maybe we were both right! Irregardless of the reason, it was tacky!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread