+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Katie Couric replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene View Post
    Now we know Katie is sunk before she starts She's replacing one of the best news anchors ever, she's going up against Brian Williams and Charlie Gibson, and she's annoying as heck!
    Well Katie has managed to dominate Charles Gibson in the mornings for umpteen years so I'm not so quick to write her off just yet. I do think it was smart of ABC to replace Elizabeth Vargas with Charlie as that newscast had been on a downward spiral. ABC found itself in last place last week. I'm sure CBS will see its ratings increase once Katie arrives but it will be interesting to see how it pans out in the long run.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

Who is replacing Charlie in the morning show?

Quote Originally Posted by laura000 View Post
    Who is replacing Charlie in the morning show?
    I don't think they've made that announcement yet.

Did any watch the Today Show yesterday (Katie's last day)? I thought NBC sent her off with class and style. It was a very touching show. I found myself crying through most of it. I'm such a softie!
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

FORT Fogey
    If you look at the ratings for GMA over the past few years (since ABC assembled the "temporary" team of Gibson and Sawyer) I'm not really sure that it's fair to say that Katie dominated Charlie. In recent years, for all intents and purposes, they've been tied, with GMA even eeking ahead at times.

The challenge is going to be a big one for Katie now. She was brought in because of her appeal to women. For the most part, the evening male anchors were all seen as being non-female friendly, even though women make up the largest portion of the TV viewing audience. Katie was supposed to fix that. But ABC has beat CBS to the punch. Charlie Gibson is hugely popular with women, and fits the same bill that Katie was supposed to. AND, Charlie has a few month head start on Katie.

I couldn't watch all of Katie's send off. I thought it was WAY too much Katie.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    If you look at the ratings for GMA over the past few years (since ABC assembled the "temporary" team of Gibson and Sawyer) I'm not really sure that it's fair to say that Katie dominated Charlie. In recent years, for all intents and purposes, they've been tied, with GMA even eeking ahead at times.

The challenge is going to be a big one for Katie now. She was brought in because of her appeal to women. For the most part, the evening male anchors were all seen as being non-female friendly, even though women make up the largest portion of the TV viewing audience. Katie was supposed to fix that. But ABC has beat CBS to the punch. Charlie Gibson is hugely popular with women, and fits the same bill that Katie was supposed to. AND, Charlie has a few month head start on Katie.

Veruka what ratings have you been looking at? The Today Show has been the number one rated morning show for the past 10 years now. There have been times where GMA has come within several hundred thousands of the Today Show but very rarely has it actually beaten it. GMA saw an increase in its ratings last year as a result of ABC's hot new shows DH, Lost and GA as fans were tuning in to get the latest scoop on those shows. Many thought GMA would overtake Today but that never happened. With Lost and DH losing some steam this year, GMA saw its number go down too. Also the Today Show hired a new executive producer who took the supposedly took show back to it's original roots of more hard news and less celebrity fluff and as a result NBC did see an increase in Today's ratings this year.

Evening news has generally skewed older, and so CBS is hoping that with Katie at the helm she could bring in younger viewers who might have watched her on the Today Show. I'm sure CBS will see an increase in its viewership of the Evening News this Fall because of the initial interest in Katie, the question is will she be able to sustain those viewers over the long run. We'll have to wait and see how the evening news war plays out.

I'm sorry that you felt it was too much Katie on the show yesterday, after 15 years (and the fact that she was the longest serving anchor) on the show I thought it was quite deserving. But I'm a Katie fan so I'm probably being a bit biased.

FORT Fogey
    A couple hundred thousand viewers equate to tenths of a rating point -- in other words, the two shows were neck and neck.

I'm sorry I missed Katies send off. So was Meredith on Today this morning? I usually only get to watch once a week and I missed all of last weeks. I'm off tomorrow. I hope she's on there so I can get a feel for her. I never watched The View much.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post

I don't care for Katie, but isn't a sendoff supposed to be all about that person?

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    I'm sorry I missed Katies send off. So was Meredith on Today this morning? I usually only get to watch once a week and I missed all of last weeks. I'm off tomorrow. I hope she's on there so I can get a feel for her. I never watched The View much.
    Meredith doesn't start until September. They said so this morning. Ann Curry, Campbell Brown and Natalee Morales will be the co-anchors until then. They've got an outdoor studio for the Summer as Studio 1A is being renovated. We'll see the new studio when Meredith starts.

Thanks for the info Britty!
    I am not a huge fan of Campbell Brown. I can't really put my finger on what it is I don't like about her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast