+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Katie Couric replacement

As a fan of both Meredith and Katie, I couldn't be happier for both. Both women have been offered incredible career opportunities and I'm sure they'll both excel in their respective endeavors.

When I first heard that Katie would be leaving The Today Show, I was a bit disappointed and wanted her to stay for selfish reasons. It's going to be a little weird not seeing her sitting next to Matt in the mornings. The two had such great chemistry. It's part of the reason the show worked so well. I was a little surprised NBC didn't find a replacement from within the organization but the more I think about it, I think Meredith was the best choice. Like Katie she's got the serious journalistic background and the personality to carry off the fluff. I saw bits of an NBC press conference last week and it looks like Meredith and Matt get along well already.

I really like Ann Curry as a person (at least how she comes across as a person) and I think she adds a lot of compassion to the Today show. But I think she's not a very good news reader (stumbles over her words too often) and is terrible at doing interviews. So I don't think she had much of a chance of getting the job.
    I like Ann too but like you said she often botches the news and interviews. I've noticed she does it increasingly now. I find myself cringing whenever she's on. I'm always thinking what's she going to say or do now. She often thinks before she speaks. I think she tries too hard at times and she can also be very intense. She's a good fill-in when Katie's on assignment or on vacation but she wouldn't have been a good permanent replacement.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

aga
    FORTified
    I like Ann Curry. I am OK with her not being Katie Couric's replacement, but NBC should move her into other bigger and better things, like Jane Pauley's spot on Dateline. In fact doesn't she share the host billing with Stone Phillips on some editions of Dateline?

If she is flubbing interviews, I wonder if she is being stretched too thin. When there is a major event, she is often sent to the locale to report and again it looks like she files reports for multiple shows, The Today Show, The Nightly News and Dateline.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

Quote Originally Posted by aga View Post
    I like Ann Curry. I am OK with her not being Katie Couric's replacement, but NBC should move her into other bigger and better things, like Jane Pauley's spot on Dateline. In fact doesn't she share the host billing with Stone Phillips on some editions of Dateline?
    Ann has been the co-anchor on Dateline since last September.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post

I would love to see the View get someone who actually has a different point of view than 4 liberals and one dingy conservative. How about a smart conservative who can think and stand up to Star and Joy and Barbara and isn't past menopause so that again it isn't 4to 1 in the age category.
    I would love to see Mary Maitlin or Ann Coulter that would be FUN! Whether you like their views or not it would be a blast to see someone smart and witty talk back to Star and Joy!
    Eww, Ann Coulter .

Elizabeth is just an idiot and I like her that way . Whenever she opens her mouth you can pretty much count on her to say something of enourmous stupidity, so in that way she is extremely reliable. That show needs poor Elizabeth, sort of like how a boxer needs a good punching bag. I hope she stays because on the rare ocassion I like to waste my time and tune in to the show I'm almost always assured of a good laugh at her expense. And that... I like!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

aga
    FORTified
    Quote Originally Posted by britty05 View Post
    Ann has been the co-anchor on Dateline since last September.
    Is she the co-anchor for all of the multiple Dateline shows that are aired each week?

Again that may explain to others who have posted why she's been flubbing interviews. If she is doing all of that, she must be one of the hardest working people in TV news. She is being stretched mighty thin.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Thats my point one isn't enough the 4 to 1 ratio doesn't represent the theme of the show different views. Elizabeth is dingy like Joy is stupid. Joy is liberal and stupid, Star is intelligent and liberal Elizabeth is dingy and consevative so why not have a smart conservative on there?
    Well, that rules out Ann Coulter.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by aga View Post
    Is she the co-anchor for all of the multiple Dateline shows that are aired each week?

Again that may explain to others who have posted why she's been flubbing interviews. If she is doing all of that, she must be one of the hardest working people in TV news. She is being stretched mighty thin.
    IMHO, Ann's been flubbing interviews/reading news for years now, long before she was the co-anchor for Dateline. I don't think it has anything to do with her being strecthed too thin.

FORT Fogey
    I stopped watching the Today show a long time ago because of Katie Couric. Now I'll get to stop watching the CBS Evening News because of Katie Couric. Wonderful.

I love Bob Schieffer and think that CBS has some real talent they could have tapped to replace him if Bob wasn't willing to stick around on a full-time basis for the long haul. Let's see Russ Mitchell, John Roberts (oh wait, yeah CBS let him get away because they wanted Katie more - morons!), Cynthia Bowers, just to name a few.

I hope CBS News tanks now and I hope the Today show increases it's audience (although personally I don't like Meredith Viera either and she won't make me a viewer). And I love Ann Curry and think her talents are underutilized at NBC.

FORT Fogey
    Now we know Katie is sunk before she starts She's replacing one of the best news anchors ever, she's going up against Brian Williams and Charlie Gibson, and she's annoying as heck!

CBS doesn't come in very well so most of the time our TV is on NBC. I'll miss Katie in the mornings and don't care to much for Meredith but I'll continue to watch Today show and Brian Williams. Katies not worth the fight with the tv antenna.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast