+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Katie Couric replacement

I heard that Matt vetoed the idea of Ann Curry taking over the job. I don't think they gave a reason.

I watch about 10-15 minutes of various morning shows every day so it doesn't matter to me who's on the show. Let me add an adendum to that: As long as it's not Bryant Gumbel, it doesn't matter to me. Talk about the original tool and douche bag!

I like Katie better than Meredith, but I'll give Meredith a chance in those few minutes I actually see The Today Show every week. I do have respect for Meredith because of the way she and her husband deal with his illness.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    I've enjoyed Bob Shieffer doing the CBS Evening News. Will miss him, such a cutie for an old guy. Don't like Brian Williams voice, so I guess I will have to tune into ABC for the evening news.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Well I didn't watch the Today show because I can't stand Katie Couric so that eliminates CBS news for me and I don't watch the view because of pretty much all of them so that eliminates the Today show again and well unless they replace Meredith with someone new and fabulous who isn't full of themselves then I probably won't watch the View still!

I would love to see the View get someone who actually has a different point of view than 4 liberals and one dingy conservative. How about a smart conservative who can think and stand up to Star and Joy and Barbara and isn't past menopause so that again it isn't 4to 1 in the age category.
    I would love to see Mary Maitlin or Ann Coulter that would be FUN! Whether you like their views or not it would be a blast to see someone smart and witty talk back to Star and Joy!
    NO MORE CONSERVATIVES ON THAT SHOW! Elizabeth is more than enough!

FORT Fogey
    i am sorry to teh fans but katie couric is just all hype.

Thats my point one isn't enough the 4 to 1 ratio doesn't represent the theme of the show different views. Elizabeth is dingy like Joy is stupid. Joy is liberal and stupid, Star is intelligent and liberal Elizabeth is dingy and consevative so why not have a smart conservative on there?

FORT Fogey
    I really like Ann Curry as a person (at least how she comes across as a person) and I think she adds a lot of compassion to the Today show. But I think she's not a very good news reader (stumbles over her words too often) and is terrible at doing interviews. So I don't think she had much of a chance of getting the job.

There was a time that I think Campbell Brown would have gotten the job hands down. But she just married Dan Senor, and while it's not as big of a connection, his work for the Bush admin gives Campbell a problem similair to what Maria Shriver was facing when she had to leave NBC News when Arnold was elected.

I think the other thing hurting both Campbell and Natalie was the reality of competing against Diane Sawyer. Campbell and Natalie are both strong up and comers. But neither of them is seen as being a strong veteran NOW. NBC knew they had to get someone who could be seen as an equal to Diane rather than someone who'd be like Diane years from now.

Oh, and I agree that when Elizabeth Hasselback is the only conservative voice on The View, The View doesn't have a real conservative voice. I may agree with many of the beliefs she has, but even I cringe at the way she expresses them and find myself saying "no no no!"

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

I watch about 10-15 minutes of various morning shows every day so it doesn't matter to me who's on the show. Let me add an adendum to that: As long as it's not Bryant Gumbel, it doesn't matter to me. Talk about the original tool and douche bag!
    I almost spit my drink at the computer.

But I like his brother that does sports. I can't remember his first name. He got all the niceness and likeableness and Bryant got the douchebaginess!

What's wrong with Meredith's husband?

Well I was sad to see Tom Brokaw go, but I like Brian Williams. We have always watched since I was a child, NBC and I guess its just habit to keep watching it. I like the local NBC news better too.

Well, they've all gone down hill since Walter Cronkite. Now there was a newsman with integrity and smarts and compassion.

Elizabeth is an idiot. I would cringe if I was a conservative too. But I'm not, so I don't listen to half the crap she says. I used to like them all but her, but since Star lost weight, she's gotten really bitchy. Hungry women are cranky (I know because I am one!)
    I like Joy. She makes me laugh and Meredith usually seems like the voice of reason when they are all talking at once, so I think she will be good on Today. but we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by MRD; 04-07-2006 at 04:51 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I almost spit my drink at the computer.

But I like his brother that does sports. I can't remember his first name. He got all the niceness and likeableness and Bryant got the douchebaginess!

What's wrong with Meredith's husband?

Well I was sad to see Tom Brokaw go, but I like Brian Williams. We have always watched since I was a child, NBC and I guess its just habit to keep watching it. I like the local NBC news better too.

Well, they've all gone down hill since Walter Cronkite. Now there was a newsman with integrity and smarts and compassion.

Elizabeth is an idiot. I would cringe if I was a conservative too. But I'm not, so I don't listen to half the crap she says. I used to like them all but her, but since Star lost weight, she's gotten really bitchy. Hungry women are cranky (I know because I am one!)
    I like Joy. She makes me laugh and Meredith usually seems like the voice of reason when they are all talking at once, so I think she will be good on Today. but we'll have to wait and see.
    Her husband has MS.

aga
    FORTified
    Oddly enough now that Katie Couric is becoming an evening news anchor, I may find her easier to take. She can be very annoying and The Today Show's format allowed that aspect of her personality to come through. Presumably as the anchor of the evening news, she has to be more of a straight arrow, and to me she will be easier to take.

She does have strong journalistic skills, so I believe that she has what it takes in that area.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

I agree with that. I think Katie is stronger when she's handling stories of substance. She strikes the right balance of compassion and professionalism. The fluff pieces seem to showcase a more negative side of her personality, at times.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast