+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960 LastLast

Thread: Big Love on HBO

Re: Big Love on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by megan31917 View Post
    I figured Bill would die....as he was the glue holding all the wives in place.

Wow.
    I didn't get to see season 4 or this final season since I don't have HBO any longer..but I just read what happened tonight on the series finale...all I can say is WOW...can wait to read what some of their faithful watchers write about here
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

HOW DARE YOU RE-SOD MY LAWN!

I thought that was a horrible resolution. If they wanted to kill off Bill, why not utilize one of the many people he had actually wronged instead of a random barely-there character? He was mad because his wife got into Goji Blast, it wasn't even anything to do with Bill.

Liked: the scene with all the women in the new car, and the scene with Barb comforting Nicky for not having one ounce of the milk of human kindness in her soul.

Disliked: Bill got validated at every turn. No jailtime for statutory rape. No economic ruin for running his businesses into the ground. No estrangement from friends or family after all he put them through. Applause in the senate, ghosts approving him in church. I was expecting him to get his comeuppance somehow, but he never really did.

I guess we are ushering in a golden age of polygamy.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

OMG! I can't believe I actually got a prediction right for the ending of the show! It's a first. I"m not happy though. I didn't want Bill to die. Now there can be no movies done later like Sex and The City. RAts.

I began to think it was Karl when he became so obviously depressed, but then I gave up on the idea when Marge quit Gochee and gave Pam some money back. I though that might make him okay with them again.

Question. Did Karl kill himself or run away?

Didn't they say that Ben and Heather had just gotten married?

Once again they figure a way to keep Teeny off camera. How strange! It was good to see Sara though.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Great show. REf. post above concerning Stevie Wonder music at reception. Not sure of all the tunes, but the ones I recall were "I Wish" and "Isn't She Lovely." I thought it rather odd too.

Here is my prediction. It's not a spoiler because I have no inside information, it's just my feeling. Who knows, maybe the writers are trying to mislead us, but if you don't like to speculate don't read.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I think that Karl, (Pam's husband) is going to snap and try to kill Bill. Remember how all season, he's been depressed. He got upset with Bill when protestors, trashed his yard, then Margene came between he and his wife, then they showed him looking at the wedding guests arriving next door, while he's all depressed about being unemployed. I think they are building him up to snap.

Oh, what was Bill's best friend (can't recall his name, he runs Home Plus) looking so concerned about at the wedding? Do you think the police had already talked to him and he didn't tell Bill because he wanted to avoid ruining his wedding? He looked so uncomfortable, like he was in pain. PLus his son came up with a reason that he could not attend the wedding. No one said why. Hmmmmm.
    Yeah! I found my prediction that I included as a spoiler!

I think that the vision Bill had of Joseph Smith's wife and Lois should have foreshadowed his death.

My question is what are Barb and Nicki going to do for a husband?

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Maybe I missed something? Bill did not live long enough to be tried, but did refuse to plea bargain the staturtory rape charge. The same applies to financial ruin - he didn't live to see the consequences. Maybe the writers felt that death was punishment enough for him.

He was my kind of hero - flawed. His death came out of left field for me, completely unexpected and bizarre. An often ignored vagery of life: we can all go at any time, for any reason. Where I live, people sometimes get killed by strangers over parking spaces.

The church's flock growing logrythmically was a bit hyperbolic, storywise. And his vision from the pulpit of generations of Mormon polygamists was just cheap, smarmy writing. We know that Bill, if he had nothing else, had great faith in his convictions, as well as great courage of them. We didn't need the graphical novel glimpse of his beliefs being validated.

I loved the euthanasia scene with Frank holding Lois and reliving her memories aloud for her as she left the world behind. I loved Barb coercing Niki into a hug, while acknowledging that Niki's a mean person. And Niki acknowledging Carol Lynn's loss of her first great love, and how fearful the vulernability is when we expose ourselves to loving and being loved deeply.

And the christening a year later, where we see that the sister wives are still sisters. Still a family, each exploring her own path but still centered in one another. I assumed Niki's continuing involvement with Safety Net. With Barb as a minister of her own church, and Margene a volunteer cook on a hospital ship, I also assumed that their financial situation was reduced, but that they were coping well.

When I first starting watching Big Love, it was out of curiosity tinged with a little shock, polygamy being something alien to me. But, it turned out to be a captivating story of love, family, and faith.

I'm going to miss it!

P,S, Yay to Debb for her prediction! Spot on.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 03-21-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Hey Poppy Fields, thanks for the info on the baby. I missed that part. I was thinking the ceremony they referred to was Ben and Heather's wedding! LOL
    I guess I need to watch the show over.

Once again Teeny was off camera! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Maybe I missed something? Bill did not live long enough to be tried, but did refuse to plea bargain the staturtory rape charge. The same applies to financial ruin - he didn't live to see the consequences. Maybe the writers felt that death was punishment enough for him.
    That's what I mean, they killed him off so that he didn't really face the consequences of his actions. If they were going to go this route they should have done it in the penultimate episode and given a whole episode to dealing with the aftermath.

The whole show was off-track to me in the last season, maybe even the last two seasons. Oh, well. What I found interesting was the theme of unconventional families and people who were raised away from the world trying to mesh into every day life. The entire storyline of Bill wanting to go public and legal just made him seem like a megalomaniac.

Look at his best friend Don. He had Don take the fall when it was revealed someone at Home Plus was a polygamist. Don had his family fall apart - heck, he was clubbed and half-drowned for Bill - he lost everything and nearly died. The very next season Bill was pushing for them to go public with their polygamy anyway, so he went through all that for nothing. Bill didn't really face any strife other than what he created. He didn't sacrifice anything.

I think the end where he acknowledges Barb can hold the priesthood was a moment of clarity, but it felt unsatisfying and out of character. It just felt like a shortcut, like lazy writing.

Don should have been the one to pull the trigger when you think about how he treated him.

Edit: Oh, and what was with the fakeout at the end, like they were at Bill's wake? Then they belatedly say "11 months later" and it's a baptism (I think technically Mormons say blessing or something other than baptism). Why would you wear black to a baptism?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I'm going to have to watch it again.

For the last 2 seaons, Bill's been a runaway train. stretching credibility to undiscovered limits, getting us to put that willing suspension of disbelief into gear. Good grief - running for Senate? Winning? Demolishing houses on the compound? Divorcing Barb? Betraying his friend and business partner over and over? Alienating Benny? (sigh) Just to highlight a few.

I think that I was expecting a funeral because Bill just died in the previous scene. And the opening mood of this scene was kind of somber and melancholy. But Barb was in a red suit and Sarah's dress is purple. Nikki's in black. I can't remember the order of the cast members' appearances, but I didn't get it that it was a christening until Sarah thanked Barb.

It was definitely a delibertate "trick" - haha, it's really a year later. But I didn't mind. I hate funerals. However, I did find it utterly cheesy to show Bill sitting at the dining room table at the end when the wives are group hugging. Do we need to be hit that hard over the head to get that he watches over them?
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 03-21-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fanatic

"Big Love" had so much potential in its first season. I feel that it slowly went down hill in every previous season. The finale was the absolute worst for me to watch. Bill's death was such a copout. It is almost as if the writers were really a room full of monkeys at this point, the orders from the producers were to end the show with the evils of guns, and that is what the monkeys did. It doesnt seem to matter that Bill's death left every question unanswered. It doesnt matter that shooting Bill just enabled the incredible mysogynistic base of poligamy to not have to answer for their treatment of young girls and women in general. It doesnt matter that Barb finally realizing just what she agreed to when she agreed to let poligamy into their marriage so many years ago. Nothing mattered except the monkeys ending the series with a bang. Cheezy.

I don't think the ending was that bad. I wish they could left Bill alive so they could have done subsequent movies. That's out now. I think they needed a 2 hour finale.

I did get frustrated with Bill at times, but I am not a very harsh critic of him, because I saw so much good that he did. When his world was tumbling down, Bill went out into the cold night to post fliers and look for his mother. He then went to see her as soon as he got out of jail to cheer her up and then hunted down the old Easter hats she had talked about. I think he was a good and loving son to the end for Lois.

Bill vowed to help protect Rhonda when she was in danger of Roman Grant. He always stuck his neck out to protect people from the evils of Juniper Creek. He fought to establish Safety Net to help all the innocents of polygamy.

Bill also risked his life to save Barb'a niece a couple of seasons ago shen she was kidnapped by the Greene's.

He has done some pretty bold things, but he has also done many right things. All in all, I liked his character. I don't agree with all he stood for, but I truly believe he was sincere in his convictions.

If I was one of the writers, I don't think I would have the heart to kill Bill off.

+ Reply to Thread