+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Love on HBO

Re: Big Love on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;3391137;
    Joey is pretty but not that bright + he was out of his mind with grief. I didn't see him check for a pulse, etc. So do we know for sure that Roman is dead? He could have passed out.

Of course if Harry Dean is off the show, we have the answer. Nobody plays a better creep, that's for sure.

Contract negotiating, maybe? All stems from "Who shot J.R?" - when Larry Hagman almost didn't renew his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3380915;
    Both of the bolded statements are sort of technically true. Bill Paxton's character was raised in the breakaway Mormon sect that is the commune. When they kicked him out, he left the church. Barbara grew up Mormon, but joined him in leaving the church when they got married. So they grew up one way, and are practicing another.
    IIRC he joined LDS when he and Barb married. They both left for "The Church of Dad" once he returned to the Principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;3393046;
    Contract negotiating, maybe? All stems from "Who shot J.R?" - when Larry Hagman almost didn't renew his contract.
    Answered my own question - don't know if it was negotiations or not!

From Ask Ausiello:
    Question: Did Roman really die in the Big Love finale? --Melanie
    Ausiello: Yes. That's why I labeled this story "Who's gonna die?" and not "Who might die?"

Quote Originally Posted by guttergal;3391353;
    Was it ever explained why Selma dresses like a man?
    When Roman told her, "... and you will fulfill your marital duties in an unambiguous manner," in the episode when Kathy was killed, I took it to mean she is lesbian and/or wants to be a man.

IIRC in Season 2 Hollis referred to her as "my brother Selma."

Quote Originally Posted by gochapgo;3394914;
    When Roman told her, "... and you will fulfill your marital duties in an unambiguous manner," in the episode when Kathy was killed, I took it to mean she is lesbian and/or wants to be a man.

IIRC in Season 2 Hollis referred to her as "my brother Selma."
    I would not think Selma would be accepted at a lesbian, no matter who she was related to.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gochapgo;3394914;
    that's how i took it too ... though i figure she's just a very butch lesbian

Quote Originally Posted by guttergal;3395326;
    I would not think Selma would be accepted at a lesbian, no matter who she was related to.
    Now that I think about it, perhaps that's why.... Hollis, knowing that a lesbian wife wouldn't fly, allows her to dress and act as a man, even addressing her as "brother." Hollis is the prophet, so if he says Selma is his brother, well so be it. It doesn't matter to the Hollis Crew what the JC sect think/know about Selma... they follow(ed) a false prophet

Quote Originally Posted by guttergal;3391353;
    Was it ever explained why Selma dresses like a man?
    I assume she has gender identity crisis but because of their religion sex change operation is not an option. What's interesting to me is that they allow it. Also, didn't Roman refer to her as "baby sister"? Does that mean that she is his sister and Hollis is her husband? I understood that Hollis is Roman's brother which would mean she is also Hollis' sister and not his wife. I don't know...I'm confused
    Last edited by stacerace; 03-28-2009 at 04:48 AM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

I'm certainly confused as well, but I always thought that Selma is Roman's sister and that she is married to Hollis. I did not think that there was any blood relation between Roman and Hollis, but that he just referred to him as brother (meaning brother-in-law). But who knows?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i always assumed he called him brother as in brother of their religion. a lot of religious communities do that .. call their pastors or deacons or other men in the church "brother so-and-so". of course, that's just my personal expereince only.

as for selma, i never thought of her as wanting a sex change. there are some women who are perfectly happy living as a very butch lesbian, dressing like a man and such. that's just their style. a good example would be in the movie "if these walls could talk 2", the second story, which just happens to feature our very own nikki as a butch lesbian in the 70's. she got a lot of flack from the 'femme' lesbians because they thought she wanted to be a man, but she didn't. she just liked wearing the ties and such. they were comfortable to her.

not everyone that dresses in a wardrobe traditionally associated with the other gender wants to become that gender.

+ Reply to Thread