+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Love on HBO

Re: Big Love on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;3388183;
    Mormon temples and churches are two different things. The churches are where they hold Sunday meetings and other everyday church meetings. The temples are where the sacred/secret rituals take place (like the ceremony Barb was shown participating in).

You would definitely be welcomed with open arms (and an invitation to have the missionaries come to teach you) if you went to a church. It's the temples that are closed to all but those with the "recommends" that J.D. spoke of.
    oh okay i understand now...thanks for filling me in on the difference...
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;3388183;
    Mormon temples and churches are two different things. The churches are where they hold Sunday meetings and other everyday church meetings. The temples are where the sacred/secret rituals take place (like the ceremony Barb was shown participating in).

You would definitely be welcomed with open arms (and an invitation to have the missionaries come to teach you) if you went to a church. It's the temples that are closed to all but those with the "recommends" that J.D. spoke of.
    Very well said, Miss Griss. Thank you for clarifying my post. I suppose it's just a way of life for me and I forget not everyone is familiar with what seems normal here.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3388728;
    Very well said, Miss Griss. Thank you for clarifying my post. I suppose it's just a way of life for me and I forget not everyone is familiar with what seems normal here.
    Yeah, it's sometimes hard to know how things look/sound from the outside. I'm maybe more aware now, being on the outside myself at this point.

If you feel like saying, which armpit do you live in? (There are definitely more than two. ) I'm a Salt Laker now. I grew up in Provo, but somehow it didn't make me "happy." ;D
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;3389133;
    Yeah, it's sometimes hard to know how things look/sound from the outside. I'm maybe more aware now, being on the outside myself at this point.

If you feel like saying, which armpit do you live in? (There are definitely more than two. ) I'm a Salt Laker now. I grew up in Provo, but somehow it didn't make me "happy." ;D
    I'm in the original armpit: Ogden (aka North Tijuana). I grew up here, moved to SLC for about 15 years (loved SLC, by the way). My family lives here, and my mom got old (and a bit on the crazy side) and needed round-the-clock care, so I moved back to care for her. One of my daughters lives here with her 3 kids, and when my mom passed away, I promised I'd never leave them. So here I am. I complain about it a lot, but there are certainly worse things than living just minutes from one's grandkids.

Well, that and I love my modest dresses and long braid.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3389232;
    I'm in the original armpit: Ogden (aka North Tijuana). I grew up here, moved to SLC for about 15 years (loved SLC, by the way). My family lives here, and my mom got old (and a bit on the crazy side) and needed round-the-clock care, so I moved back to care for her. One of my daughters lives here with her 3 kids, and when my mom passed away, I promised I'd never leave them. So here I am. I complain about it a lot, but there are certainly worse things than living just minutes from one's grandkids.

Well, that and I love my modest dresses and long braid.
    Yes, I'm guessing that being close to the grandkids is a good thing.

So are your modest dresses gingham or do you prefer the small floral prints.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yikes! Interesting.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3389338;
    Yikes! Interesting.
    I'm interested in your opinion, prhoshay. After reading what some Utahns say from "the inside" and watching the show - what do you think? I realize the show is just a show, but does it reflect what you read here?

I can't speak for others, but I am a mormon, I was raised a mormon and am surrounded by mormons. However, I do not attend church anymore and am not privvy to what is said inside the walls regarding this show. Well, I don't know if "said" is the right word - "implied" might be more accurate.

3rd season ended GREAT IMO one of the best episodes of the entire series..but I am gonna give everyone a chance to see it before I start any discussions if thats alright.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

WHOA!!! Is all I have to say, I just hope they don't wait too long for season 4.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3389665;
    I'm interested in your opinion, prhoshay. After reading what some Utahns say from "the inside" and watching the show - what do you think? I realize the show is just a show, but does it reflect what you read here?

I can't speak for others, but I am a mormon, I was raised a mormon and am surrounded by mormons. However, I do not attend church anymore and am not privvy to what is said inside the walls regarding this show. Well, I don't know if "said" is the right word - "implied" might be more accurate.
    I am willing to share my opinion with you, but why would you not know if "said" is the right word, and that "implied" might be more accurate?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread