+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 60 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Love on HBO

Re: Big Love on HBO

and all of those shows with all of those different family dynamics makes a statement about the trials and tribulations of each situation. To me it's a bit niave to think that the creators of the show undertook this particular segment of society without intention.
    In every stereotype there is a glimmer of truth but the writers seem to have taken the storyline to the outside extreme... as 'drama' writers are supposed to do I suppose.
    Some of us are getting an eye-opener here! As much as those of us who watch Army Wives but have never set foot on an army post.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2488217;
    I'm a little disappointed in this show. They are showing all polygamisits to be vengeful and deceptive and generally not nice people. I can't believe that of a whole culture.

Good episode, but I wish they would balance the good/evil a bit more.
    Granted that this is TV, and everything is going to be overly dramatic, but I'm not sure that I agree that they are showing all polygamists to be vengeful and deceptive. Bill's family and that of his co-worker are portrayed as basically good people who are caught up in not knowing how to deal with the drama of the more fanatical groups. I don't see the majority of Roman's followers as being vengeful or deceptive. They seem more to me like folks who are "true believers" or scared of him.

I do think that the scheming and manipulation that Nicki and her mother engage in are a common side effect of being in a system where you have to compete for the attention of a father/husband who has many wives and children--an aspect of polygamy that is quite different from the situation that the Hendricksons are in.

Roman, on the other hand, is definitely a vengeful, power-hungry man who is using religion as an ego trip, and he is a loose cannon, which the guy at the warehouse seems to be, too. While I'm sure people like that could exist within any fanatical fringe group, there are historical precedents for them existing in the Mormon fundamentalist culture. Go to Wikipedia and read about Ervil LeBaron. He was like Charles Manson--having his wives kill rivals within his own and other polygamous factions. And there have been other intrigues through the years, so these storylines aren't just out of the blue.

I was surprised to learn that Tom Hanks is an executive producer on this series. I never watch the credits so it was a complete surprise to see him in the extras they have at the HBO website for Big Love.
    If you haven't been to HBO.com yet to check out the online extras I'd highly recommend it. Thanks Veruka, for letting us know about it.
    I knew that Tom Hanks was one of the executive producers, but I can't find anything at the web site. Is there a video or an interview with him? Where did you find it?
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

There was a little nothing video of him on the redcarpet for the Big Love primier. just a passing sound byte really.

HBO: Big Love click here and click on the tiny video button just below the main picture and it will take you to all of the video regarding BL. Click on "On the red carpet" for a glimpse of Tom Hanks.

I'll be checking out that Ervil Lebaron, thanks!

I know I have missed a show here or there (several, actually, since they moved to Monday night). I try to watch when the show is re-aired later on in the week, but still must have missed a few.

My question is this:

If I remember correctly, towards the end of last season, Nikki told everyone that she was pregnant. We also saw her secretly taking her birth control pills in the bathroom. So she really wasn't pregnant, just wanted some more attention I guess.

What happened with that storyline? Or did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2488217;
    That Hollis guy looks like Adam West (original Batman) Why does his wife look like a cross dresser? I can understand the hair but not the man's suit.
    That confused me too, because it looks like a cross-dressing woman, but I wondered if it was supposed to be his brother. I don't think anyone ever said it was his wife, they just mentioned a feminine, or perhaps gender neutral, name.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2487789;
    I'm still not entirely clear as to what Lois is doing to make all that money. This isn't something that we've already found out and I just missed right?
    When Lois mentioned that the laundromat was never open for business, I just assumed it was a money-laundering operation for her brother.

MamaC she announced that she wanted to become pregnant but Margene actually became pregnant before Nicky did so I guess Nicky's pregnancy will be put on the back burner. One child at a time I guess?

Harvest, Hollis claimed her has his wife and her name is Selma.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2490775;
    MamaC she announced that she wanted to become pregnant but Margene actually became pregnant before Nicky did so I guess Nicky's pregnancy will be put on the back burner. One child at a time I guess?

Harvest, Hollis claimed her has his wife and her name is Selma.
    MamaC is right that Nikki never intended to actually get pregnant. She was secretly still on the pill through all of that. It was just an attempt by her to get more attention from Bill and take nights away from the other two wives. I think it's one of those things that was used to illustrate the rivalry dynamic in such a marriage, kind of like Barb and Bill's "affair", which is why they haven't done anything more with it.

She did want more attention but her extra days ended when Margie announced she was pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2489463;
    There was a little nothing video of him on the redcarpet for the Big Love primier. just a passing sound byte really.

HBO: Big Love click here and click on the tiny video button just below the main picture and it will take you to all of the video regarding BL. Click on "On the red carpet" for a glimpse of Tom Hanks.

I'll be checking out that Ervil Lebaron, thanks!
    Thanks, Duxxy.

By the way, I hadn't yet watched this week's show when I replied to your previous message, and I agree that it's getting pretty heavy-handed. Everyone is acting very violent, and it seems like a bit much.

Bill's in big trouble. He's caught in the middle with the gaming stuff, and Roman is talking blood atonement (which is basically putting out a hit on the person and saying that it's a religious price they are paying for a sin) for anyone who has dealings with them.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

To those who have seen this past week's episdoe - When Barb was confronting Roman, what was she talking about that he did to her that was heartless - causing her to lose the Mother of the Year or causing Bill to take another wife (Nikki) in the first place? Just confused - also, what do you mean about Nikki's secret upthread? I'll go back and find the quotes but I think I missed something somewhere.

Found it:
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2459037;
    Wow, I seriously thought that Nikki's secret was something much bigger at first. Something to do with way back when Barb was still sick.

Either way, lots of action in this episode almost too much to follow with all the backstabbing, secrets, and actual events that played out.

Alby is seriously getting creepier and creepier.
    Last edited by PGM35; 07-27-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: adding quoted text

+ Reply to Thread