+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 60 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Love on HBO

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty StarrieEyedKat's Avatar

Re: Big Love on HBO

Can't wait to see Margene's mom and what goes on w/ that mesopotamia!!
    I really wanted Ana's storyline to go further into the families. I don't know yet if I wanted her to become an actual wife, but I would have liked to see what would have happened if Bill had come out and told her and everything....hopefully Ana isn't completely out of the picture yet!
    It'll be interesting to see what happens w/ Rhonda. I really hope Sara and Heather stay friends...
    Just found out I'm pregnant, 1/28/08!!!

FORT Fogey

I adored the first season of this show, but with the move to Monday nights, had not been watching this season. I watched the season premiere last night, and I'm hooked again. My HBO On Demand and I will be bonding for a while now while I get caught up with this season so far.

I read some of the posts a few pages back questioning how Nikki came along and how Barb agreed to the whole polygomy thing. Last year, HBO published a rundown where they explained it all. As I recall, this is how it went.

Bill was shunned from Roman's community and left to fend for himself as a teenager. He somehow pulled things together, went to college, and he and Barb met at BYU. They married, and planned on living a monogomous LDS life as a marriage of two. They had their kids, and then Barb was diagnosed with cancer (uterine I believe). They needed help in holding the home together while Barb was going through cancer treatments, and were also dealing with the reality that Barb would not be able to have any more children.

That's where Nikki came in. I believe that originally, she was a helper around the house. But Bill saw her as a solution to the problem of his not being able to do his duty and have more children after discovering that Barb could not. I THINK the deal with Roman came after the marriage (that Nikki manipulated it because Bill was her husband) but it may have played in there too. You had the perfect storm of Barb being laid up, not being able to have more children, and possibly the start of financial problems with Home Plus. In Barb and Bill's mind,the only possible way to solve those problems was to bring in a second wife, which is why they went there.

Margene grew up in Denver, and may not have even grown up Mormon. She was raised by her mom, didn't know her dad, but knew many stepdads and various other men in her mother's life. At some point, either due to abuse or her mom choosing a man over her daughter, Margene was booted from her mother's home and wound up in Salt Lake City. She got a job as a cashier at Home Plus, which she was terrible at doing. Bill took a liking to her, and felt sorry for her, so he did what he could to protect her job. Over time, he also started helping her by hiring her to babysit and do other odd jobs to help his family. He started developing feelings for her, and she for him. So in order to avoid infidelity on his part, the decision was made for them to take her on as a third wife.

That's the background as I remember it. I do remember that HBO gave much more info on the internet than they ever covered in the show. But if you read that, then it made some of the references on the show make more sense.

From the one of the shows this season we know that Margene was brought up Catholic.

Thanks for the rundown Veruka, it fills in some blanks

peachroses

I know I need to get a life, but the more I watch this show, the more I realize how unrealistic and difficult it would be for real polygymists to live in the burbs.

1st...how to you keep the little ones from talking... calling dad in public ..., telling their friends at school they have 3 mommies.

How about service people, exterminators, cable guys... wouldn't 3 backyards hooked up together raise a red flag... what about the people behind them... they have got to know....

Can a person of Bills' stature really afford 3 mortgages and doesn't the bank raise an eyebrow when a man has mortgages on 3 homes right next to each other.....same thing with the utility bills......... well I guess those could be under the 2nd wives names.

I guess health insurance doesn't come into play because Bill owns the company... he must have a policy based in Utah...... because I am guessing all the kids and extra wifes would be under his policy.....

Do they ever go to normal LDS church? I am sure 3 wifes and a zillion kids would raise some eyebrows........ in a normal mormon church.....

School... yes now they have little Wayne in Catholic school so his daddy can participate in school activities, but what about the other kids...... SLC isn't that big especially with his name and face plastered on large bill boards........

Yes I know, I need to stop thinking of all these stupid things, and this is fiction......... but..... seriously, could they really keep this life a secret... its not like they are hidden behind closed doors like other 'different' lifestyles.

JMHO
    Because I said so ....

Excellent observations, peach.

I think one time it was mentioned that Nikki and Margene go by their maiden names....and their names are on the mortgage and bills. I could be totally wrong on this, maybe someone else knows for sure.

I think Barb's kids are well aware of the implications of spilling the beans; they are old enough to understand the consequences.

Nikki and Margene's kids are still too young for now, but that could change in the next few years for Nikki's kids, especially the one who is school aged now.

The neighbors, especially any right behind them would have a pretty good idea of what goes on in the backyard. Others in the neighborhood have to wonder how two single moms, who don't seem to work outside the home, can pay the mortgages and bills.

I don't think that Bill and any of the family goes to the regular Mormon Church. The fundamentalists are shunned by the LDS Mormons, mainly for the polygamy, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by peach;2487128;
    I know I need to get a life, but the more I watch this show, the more I realize how unrealistic and difficult it would be for real polygymists to live in the burbs.

1st...how to you keep the little ones from talking... calling dad in public ..., telling their friends at school they have 3 mommies.

How about service people, exterminators, cable guys... wouldn't 3 backyards hooked up together raise a red flag... what about the people behind them... they have got to know....

Can a person of Bills' stature really afford 3 mortgages and doesn't the bank raise an eyebrow when a man has mortgages on 3 homes right next to each other.....same thing with the utility bills......... well I guess those could be under the 2nd wives names.
    Hi Peach,

I live in Salt Lake, and I don't claim to know how they do it, or even how underground they try to be, but Sandy, the Salt Lake suburb where Bill and family live, is known for having a lot of polygamous families.

Most of the women are fairly identifiable when you see them at the grocery store. They look like a cross between Nicki and the women at the compound. Not so L.L.Bean as Nicki, and not quite as pioneerish as the compound women. They almost all have the "hairdo" that Nicky and the compound ladies wear.

The different thing about the Hendricksons is that they seem to be trying harder to be underground. That's why when Barb was getting the award she asked Nicky if just that once she could try not to look like a polygamist.

I think it's hard to pull off, but there are families that manage to stay underground. Most, don't though. They just sort of do their thing, and the state ignores it, but there is a price to pay in terms of people treating them like outcasts.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 07-24-2007 at 02:35 AM.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

As sad as it was, it was so nice to see Barb not hold it all in. It was sad, but it was really reassuring to see her lose it. Heck, I think an "outsider" alone on the compoun would be plenty scary without Bill's crazy Dad running amuck.
    I'm still not entirely clear as to what Lois is doing to make all that money. This isn't something that we've already found out and I just missed right?

I don't think they ever showed us how Lois is really making the money because I still want to know. Bill's dad is such a wack job.

I'm a little disappointed in this show. They are showing all polygamisits to be vengeful and deceptive and generally not nice people. I can't believe that of a whole culture.
    That Hollis guy looks like Adam West (original Batman) Why does his wife look like a cross dresser? I can understand the hair but not the man's suit. I thought it was frowned upon for the women to even wear pants??
    My heart was in my throat when Lois came home and Henrickson Sr. was there going through her stuff. She should have packed up those peas in a box and sent them home with Barb for safe keeping.
    Lois swiping her braid out of Frank's hands and hugging it to her chest was funny but poignant.
    Barb had better watch out, if Wanda thinks Joey is in love with her, Wanda just might do something to Barb.
    Looks like Wanda has accepted Cathy more willingly than Joey has but Joey has warmed to the idea.
    Nicky is lucky that Margene is a nice, giving person because I would have grabbed her by the braid and drowned her in the pool if she came between me and my mother.
    Nicky is just as manipulative as Rhonda.
    I'm really glad that the man Sarah is seeing went to Bill to tell him about Alby.
    Alby sure was sporting a face full of hurt at that emergency UEB meeting. muahahaha he deserved every scrape!
    re: Margene and Bill.. seriously, would you really be having loud sex like that with your MIL in the next room??
    Good episode, but I wish they would balance the good/evil a bit more.

I was surprised to learn that Tom Hanks is an executive producer on this series. I never watch the credits so it was a complete surprise to see him in the extras they have at the HBO website for Big Love.
    If you haven't been to HBO.com yet to check out the online extras I'd highly recommend it. Thanks Veruka, for letting us know about it.

FORT Fogey

I have to admit that it surprises me a bit that there are so many discussions about the statements this show makes on polygamy in our culture, almost assuming that the writers / producers are setting out to make that statement. I have not really ever thought that there is an intended statement they desire to make - either for or against polygamy.

To me, that angle has always been merely an interesting twist to take on a traditional family drama TV show. We've all seen so many shows that are a traditional one man / one woman led family. We've even gotten to see a few with more non-traiditional roles whether that's single parents, blended families, two people of the same gender raising kids, etc. I've always considered the polygamy angle to be nothing more than a new and creative twist. I think that is why the show can be so far off in details like Peach outlined above, and yet so spot on with human nature aspects of the characters.

+ Reply to Thread