+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 60 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Love on HBO

Re: Big Love on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Medallion;2456550;
    Can somebody fill me in on what was going on with the son and his friend. Was the tatoo like a vow of chastity? I was really confused about that entire storyline. If anybody can clear that up for me it will be greatly appreciated.
    The friend was a member of a group called Straight Edge, "a lifestyle, a personal commitment, a philosophy, and a subculture that is closely associated with hardcore punk music. Straight edgers abstain from tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs. Followers of the straight-edge world view may also abstain from caffeine or casual sex, and practice vegetarianism or veganism. (wikipedia)" In Utah, they are militant about not having sex outside of marriage. (Wikipedia has a long article about Straight Edge, including a bit on the Mormon branch of it.)

In the 80s and 90s, there were problems here with Straight Edgers here in Utah committing violent acts against people who went against their belief system. (See article at the link below.) I wasn't aware that they were still an active problem, but maybe they are, and something else is just more popular in the media at the moment.

News & Opinion: Militant Straight Edge Goes International (Salt Lake City Weekly . 09-21-98)

Salt Lake City Weekly, where the article comes from, is Salt Lake's major alternative weekly newspaper like The Boston Phoenix or Willamette Week in Portland, Oregon.

P.S. Ben's Straight Edge friend is the son of Bill's right-hand guy from the store (the crew cut man), right?
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 06-30-2007 at 04:51 AM.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i was confused by that tattoo scene too, so i did some google searching on it. i think what gets me is the tattoo, at first glance, looked like "sex" (at least it did for me LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;2456583;
    In the 80s and 90s, there were problems here with Straight Edgers here in Utah committing violent acts against people who went against their belief system.
    It really tells a lot about American values that as a nation we are such violence-worshippers that a gang that abstains from everything else thinks violence is acceptable! Eww.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2456697;
    i was confused by that tattoo scene too, so i did some google searching on it. i think what gets me is the tattoo, at first glance, looked like "sex" (at least it did for me LOL).
    I felt the same way when I saw the guy getting tattooed on the show. I had to do a triple-take before I figured out that wasn't what it spelled! It only made sense after one of the characters said the words "straight edge" and I realized s & e were the initials on either side of the X.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;2456583;
    The friend was a member of a group called Straight Edge, "a lifestyle, a personal commitment, a philosophy, and a subculture that is closely associated with hardcore punk music. Straight edgers abstain from tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs. Followers of the straight-edge world view may also abstain from caffeine or casual sex, and practice vegetarianism or veganism. (wikipedia)" In Utah, they are militant about not having sex outside of marriage. (Wikipedia has a long article about Straight Edge, including a bit on the Mormon branch of it.)

In the 80s and 90s, there were problems here with Straight Edgers here in Utah committing violent acts against people who went against their belief system. (See article at the link below.) I wasn't aware that they were still an active problem, but maybe they are, and something else is just more popular in the media at the moment.

News & Opinion: Militant Straight Edge Goes International (Salt Lake City Weekly . 09-21-98)

Salt Lake City Weekly, where the article comes from, is Salt Lake's major alternative weekly newspaper like The Boston Phoenix or Willamette Week in Portland, Oregon.

P.S. Ben's Straight Edge friend is the son of Bill's right-hand guy from the store (the crew cut man), right?
    Thank you for clearing that up! It makes sense now. And yeah, that is the crew cut man's son because if I remember correctly during the first season Bill and the right hand guy went hunting with their sons and I'm pretty sure it was the same boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Medallion;2456899;
    Thank you for clearing that up! It makes sense now. And yeah, that is the crew cut man's son because if I remember correctly during the first season Bill and the right hand guy went hunting with their sons and I'm pretty sure it was the same boy.
    When he was in the tattoo chair, was that boy saying that he didn't approve of their parents' lifestyle?

Harvest, the thing that is interesting is that I don't think Straight Edgers, in general, are violent. It seems to be the religious ones. Don't know what to make of that. Seems like a pretty oxymoronic combination of beliefs.

ETS: Or maybe just plain moronic.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Wow, I seriously thought that Nikki's secret was something much bigger at first. Something to do with way back when Barb was still sick.

Either way, lots of action in this episode almost too much to follow with all the backstabbing, secrets, and actual events that played out.

Alby is seriously getting creepier and creepier.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2459037;
    and rhonda is getting evil'er and evil'er

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2459037;
    The scene with Alby staring into the car with Sarah (I think that is her name) was so creepy. I couldn't figure out what his deal was and what he was trying to do. I can't wait for tonight's episode, hopefully they explain some things a bit more.

I also thought the Niki secret was from when Barb was sick. I kept thinking that Roman had secretly married her to him or something.

My mind was going through all the possible scenerios and all I kept thinking was that Roman gave Barb the cancer. Because, you know, he's that powerful. Haha. I knew it was far fetched, but I just couldn't get that out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2466309;
    My mind was going through all the possible scenerios and all I kept thinking was that Roman gave Barb the cancer. Because, you know, he's that powerful. Haha. I knew it was far fetched, but I just couldn't get that out of my head.

I was thinking this too. I kept saying "Maybe Roman did something that gave Barb the cancer and knew Bill was going to need help and that's how Nikki was offered up". I guess I was wrong.

+ Reply to Thread