+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Love on HBO

Re: Big Love on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2435921;
    from what i remember, didn't he take nikki on as a wife as a condition for his 'loan' from her dad?

i like them too.

unfortunately, for the denomination, that family values thing goes by the wayside when your family member is gay.
    Sadly, that is often the case.

But I have to also say that it's sometimes not. My extremely Mormon mother managed to beautifully hold the polarity of maintaining a constant and consistent love for my gay brother in spite of her religion's homophobic teachings.

After he came out to her, she treated his lover as part of the family, and when my brother was dying of AIDs, she was totally there for him. She never tried to cover up what he was dying of or how he got it, and I know of other very conservative Mormon parents who reacted the same way when their children came out to them (although sadly, it was often AIDS that precipitated that coming out) and even went on to become activists for gay rights. So it's not a cut and dried thing.

Just have to stand up for that side of things, while also acknowledging the pain that the Mormon church's stand has caused for the GLBT members of its community and for their families and that many have been deserted by their families.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;2436048;
    Sadly, that is often the case.

But I have to also say that it's sometimes not. My extremely Mormon mother managed to beautifully hold the polarity of maintaining a constant and consistent love for my gay brother in spite of her religion's homophobic teachings.....(snipped)
    wow, your mom is freaking AWESOME!!!

just like with mainstream christianity, there's some people that truly LIVE the christ-like life, but way too many use their religion to condemn and judge instead.

again, your mom is awesome ... i wish more people were like her! (i.e., my own son )

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2436069;
    wow, your mom is freaking AWESOME!!!

just like with mainstream christianity, there's some people that truly LIVE the christ-like life, but way too many use their religion to condemn and judge instead.

again, your mom is awesome ... i wish more people were like her! (i.e., my own son )
    Me, too, BarefootDyke. So sorry to hear that your son isn't accepting of you. Makes me feel like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I'm looking forward to tonight's premiere. I really want to see what kind of fallout the Hendricksons are going to face. I would not be surprised if the HomePlus stores go bankrupt. As much as I love the show, I do find it laughable that this family actually thought they could live so visable to the public eye without being exposed. And it's not just the polygamy but Bill's financial connection to the UEB that is going to come out. I have to say, the man is not too bright.

Nicki is actually my favorite character. I just love to hate her. Her comment to Margene sticks out in my head, "I brought myself to Bill." I really hope that the second season delves more into the past, and how Nicki came to be in their family. The impression I get from the backstory we have gotten is that Bill and Barb were practicing LDS until Barb got sick and could no longer have children. Bill returned to "the principle" because it was the only way he could continue to see his family grow larger. I am sure Nicki was instrumental in his coming to this decision. I imagine she was A LOT like Rhonda when she was younger and would do pretty much anything to get off the compound. While she pays lip service to "the principle", ironically she does not practice what she preaches, secretly taking birth control and running up $58,000 of debt (another example of Bill's cluelessness).

What I find so interesting about the show is how atypical this family is. They don't fit anywhere but among themselves. Let's see how they survive now. My guess is Miss Margene will ironically end up being the strongest one of the three.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

I'm so excited about tonight! It has been forever and a day waiting for this to come back!
    Yup, with donuts!!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i just discovered last night that we have hbo on demand (even though we don't have hbo) and i'm re-watching season 1 ... and this time i got my daughter hooked on it

Just set the DVR to tape ALL the Big Love shows!! Can't wait. Love this show!

Does anyone know how many episodes there will be this season?

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;2437234;
    Just set the DVR to tape ALL the Big Love shows!! Can't wait. Love this show!

Does anyone know how many episodes there will be this season?

I can't wait for it either! I read that there are 12 episodes this season.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

did anyone see Paxton on Regis and Kelly this morning?? I missed it and I was wondering what he said. I can't seem to find the interview anywhere on the net.. I'm probably not looking in the right place
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Help! I missed what Barb said to the neighbor lady when she made a comment about Margene breaking up with her. She said something like, Margene broke up with you because...... and then I accidently hit my remote and changed the channel.... did anyone catch what she told her?

Thank you.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread