+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: One Life To Live

Re: One Life To Live

I first started watching OLTL back in the '70's when Vickie was married to Joe (tells my age, but I was a teenager). A couple of times I stopped for a while due to working/school. But I had to stop for GOOD when they started that time travel crap (wasn't it Bo and lightening at the fence?). That gave the city of Eterna fiasco a run for its money!

It's just not been the same for me since. Just how many times can a person be impregnated and not know who the father is, get run over, get kidnapped, brought back from the dead, discover you have a child you don't remember, etc.? Over Christmas, I turned it on with my fingers crossed...and there were John, Natalie, Jessica, Todd, Blaire, etc., all having the same conversations (it seemed) from when I saw them six months earlier.

In fact, I'd watch reruns of the older OLTL's if they were on.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama;4163434;
    I first started watching OLTL back in the '70's when Vickie was married to Joe (tells my age, but I was a teenager). A couple of times I stopped for a while due to working/school. But I had to stop for GOOD when they started that time travel crap (wasn't it Bo and lightening at the fence?). That gave the city of Eterna fiasco a run for its money!

It's just not been the same for me since. Just how many times can a person be impregnated and not know who the father is, get run over, get kidnapped, brought back from the dead, discover you have a child you don't remember, etc.? Over Christmas, I turned it on with my fingers crossed...and there were John, Natalie, Jessica, Todd, Blaire, etc., all having the same conversations (it seemed) from when I saw them six months earlier.

In fact, I'd watch reruns of the older OLTL's if they were on.
    I sometimes wonder if we, as soap watchers, have become rather jaded or have the soaps been on to long (seeing repeat storylines ad nauseum)? A good baby switch was pretty juicy in its day, now it seems dated.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4163515;
    I sometimes wonder if we, as soap watchers, have become rather jaded or have the soaps been on to long (seeing repeat storylines ad nauseum)? A good baby switch was pretty juicy in its day, now it seems dated.
    Another crazy OLTL twist: When Vickie found out she'd had a twin daughter (Natalie) in addition to Jessica, from different fathers (not artificially inseminated either), a plot somehow concocted by Mitch Lawrence. Huh? That was a bit over the top, too! I mean, a wealthy woman like Vickie who delivered twins but her doctors somehow failed to notice this development during her pregnancy?

Just give me some good old fashioned romance, lyin' and cheatin' and stealin' and an occasional catfight, and I'll take it!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Today's rerun from 1995 was awesome!

The beginnings of Patrick (..."Brown penny, brown penny....." *SIGH*) and Marty in Ireland, Roger Howarth's Todd marrying Blair, Nathan Fillion as Joey.... Was that Jessica in the wedding? She was like 4 years old! I must say, Todd's scar looked like it was drawn on with a Sharpie. Cassie de Paiva looks about the same, but her voice sounds so young!

I'd love it if they picked this specific episode because Patrick is coming back from the dead, but I suspect it has more to do with Roger Howarth possibly coming back. There's been lots of speculation online and in various soap mags, but no solid info. I read something that said it could be setting him up to return OR it could just be honoring the show's history in case Roger won't return OR they could be holding him in reserve in case contract negotiations with Trevor St. John don't go well - they could just plug Roger back into the role. I know he really hated being considered a sex symbol when his character was a rapist. I'd be interested to see what they would do with the character to entice him back.

There have been several "original" actors who returned to shows to play a character after many years - Lucky on GH and Scott on AMC come to mind. Maybe Todd will be next

ETA: OMG, it wasn't Jessica in the wedding, it was Hayden Panettiere as Sarah, Tina's daughter!
    Last edited by Critical; 02-12-2011 at 01:36 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I really hate the baby switching story. I liked that the babies had the same birthday and it would have made for good storyline the antics they got into as they grew up. I also hate that for once Natalie and Jess can't be happy at the same time. I HATE it and have stopped watching

IT is all just so over the top

ITA - the baby swap storyline is beyond ridiculous. Ditto on the whole Rex and his daddy issues stuff. When all this started YEARS ago, I was really hoping Bo would turn out to be his dad. Of course, that isn't dramatic enough. God forbid anyone be happy on this show.

Right now, I'm enjoying Kelly - any time Gina Tognoni is allowed to be funny is fantastic. Kelly repeatedly drunk dialing Joey's voice mail - and then her reaction as Kevin played them back to her - a while back where priceless! I also like (and I cannot believe I'm about to say this) the Ford brothers with Starr and Langston. Sadly, I read that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    they're writing out Langston very soon

I'm even more sad that they fired Jason Tam (Markko) after seeing him in Every Little Step, which documents the mounting of the revival of A Chorus Line on Broadway a few years ago. Jason got the role of Paul. They show his audition in the film and his monologue is the one where Paul recounts the time his parents came to visit him at the drag club where he worked and saw him in full drag and how his father told the director to take care of his boy. He had the entire table of producers (and me) in tears. What a shame they never gave him more than fluffy material. He's a real talent.

I've always loved Erika Slezak but, MAN, talk about over-acting. She's been painful to watch lately.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm a bit confused on this whole "Toe-mas" artsy-fartsy character and Blair. Who is he and did the actor playing him also play a past character? Is this going to be a back from the dead story?

Love drunk Kelly! But hated seeing John eating her face off trying to kiss her...

I see someone announced this already in the All My Children thread, but as a One Life to Live fan, I figure I'll add this to the pile.

ABC has just cancelled AMC & OLTL to be replaced by what seems to me as cheap daytime filler shows. AMC will end in November/2011, & OLTL will end in January/2012.

I always go home for lunch to watch OLTL. I figure I'll switch back to watching Days Of Our Lives, which I used to watch a long time ago. They're on at the same time here, so ABC's loss will be NBC's gain, at least for me. I hope everyone else who can, does the same.

TPTB gave some line of bunk about the viewers wanting this. Yeah, right. I don't believe for a minute that the viewers have been asking for the kind of drivel that is going to replace these shows. They're just dirt cheap to put on, that's all.
    I'm surprised they didn't just go all the way & replace the soaps with Infomercials.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

yea, well two less hours I will be watching. I refuse to even have my TV on during the new Drivel that will be on in place of shows we grew up with

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01 View Post
    yea, well two less hours I will be watching. I refuse to even have my TV on during the new Drivel that will be on in place of shows we grew up with
    The new shows probably won't do much better ratingswise, but they will be cheap to make. Reality TV as much as I enjoy it, is cheaper to make.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread