+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 149 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: All My Children

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: All My Children

I'm really sorry my job only lets me follow AMC on FORT these days--so I can't really have an opinion on how good a job they are doing with this. I'm very curious about it. I agree with Critical and nilesgirl on this, Uncle David--sexual orientation and gender identity seem to be two completely separate things so far as we can tell, that just are often paired in a certain way for maybe 90% of people. But they don't have to be.
    Just to give you another headscratcher, I remember a NY Times story a few years ago about a lesbian boarding school couple, one a senior, one a junior in high school. The senior went to college (Harvard, so the story was about how Harvard handled this housing-wise) and over the summer between high school and college came out as trans, and moved into a male role. He was still involved with his high school girlfriend however. Now, does that mean the high school girlfriend is suddenly not lesbian, but bisexual? Or straight? Obviously our language doesn't really deal well with this stuff--probably because only recently have we started to talk about it.
    Another example--there's a middle-aged returning student at my college who publishes in a campus poetry journal as a lesbian--but X is a biological male, happily married to a woman, and looks and dresses basically like a truck driver, complete with full beard--the only "feminine" adornment normally is a kind of pirate earring. However now and then X dresses like a traditional woman, keeping the beard though. X gets pretty much all A's and pays tuition from cans collected around campus so as not to cut into their normal lifestyle--a real original! So do we call X's wife a lesbian?
    Just so you aren't alone though, Uncle David, there's a women's music festival in the Midwest that only admits women. It's a kind of Woodstocky event with a lot of toplessness, etc., and they want to keep it all female. There has been a running argument over admitting people who were not "born women," and this among people who are very activist in LGBTIQ issues. So clearly not a "right" answer yet.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Thank you for the excellent post PWS. You've elucidated what bothers me about the storyline. The transgender issue is one that needs more exposure because it is so misunderstood. However, as evidenced in the examples you provided, we can see there is debate regarding the ‘male lesbian’ transgender faction. IMHO focusing on this group detracts from the undeniable truth of the transgender issue as a whole.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I guess I should go to one of my research sources and see if someone has analyzed the % of MTF transgendered people who are attracted to men vs. attracted to women. Then we'd see how atypical Zarf/Zoe is. My impression is that there are non-trivial numbers of both....but, hmmm, hard put to find a reference right now.

Premium Member

I know you have to suspend reality when watching soaps, but putting Jamie in restraints in the hospital to make sure he stays put is so ridiculous I can't stop laughing. There are so many rules and restrictions on placing a patient in restraints it's not even remotely believeable to do it even in the make believe world of a soap. *rolls eyes*

I'm so pissed at Adam right now, I hope he gets what's coming to him and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2327236;
    I'm so pissed at Adam right now, I hope he gets what's coming to him and soon.
    Marley, I had no idea you were an AMC fan!

Just yesterday I mentioned to my sister, also an AMC fan, how much I love it when Adam is 'Adam'. My biggest pet peeve is when they try to humanize the villain. (Erica being the worst-case scenario) My favorite ‘Adam’ period was when he was ultra nasty to everyone and then Palmer took him down to virtually nothing.

I want him to get what’s coming to him, but not soon. I want him to destroy some lives before he ‘gets his’. I just can’t figure out who I want to wield the hammer. Crystal, Babe, and JR deserve everything the get for trying to ‘steal’ Tad’s baby. Josh is a jerk. Amanda deserves her torture for allowing Adam to manipulate her. Though I love Tad and Jamie, they’ve been asses about this whole thing. I guess the one person involved I’d like to see come out of this with a little something would be Janet.

Yeah! Let Janet bring him down, and then have him institutionalized in the same sanitarium where she’s locked up.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

The show is getting really good. I can't wait to see what happens

So who do you think is going to go after Alexander first, Hannah or Del, and how long is it going to take before Derek jumps to Jonathan?

I think Del will hurt someone. Then people will accuse Jonathan for the crime. Happens all the time

I'm finally up to last Friday's episode. Although I would love to have Rebecca Budig back as Greenley, I'm not looking forward to someone else reprising the role. There's no reason for me to be invested in a new Green Butterfly shortstopping Ryan and Annie's wedding.

They have to shake it up somehow. I agree that nobody can replace Rebecca Budig as Greenlee, but I think it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

+ Reply to Thread