+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 149 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: All My Children

Spoiler

I really enjoyed today -- I thought it was sooo good! First of all, I commend Babe for owning up for her wrongdoings -- yes, she knows what she was wrong and she is trying to sort through her thoughts and feelings. I really feel for her because it is such a hard to thing to deal with -- sometimes you just can't help your feelings...

And Tad being the father of Krystal's baby?!?! Love it! How do you think Adam is going to respond to this? I have a feeling Krystal might be getting the boot too -- haha. Can't wait till Monday...

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

I just don't understand how and why Babe's crime is so unforgivable as opposed to let's say ATTEMPTED MURDER!!!! Is it a man thing?? If, lets say she had tried to kill him instead of cheating on him ... all would be back on the mend again!

Quote Originally Posted by laura302;2153229;
    I just don't understand how and why Babe's crime is so unforgivable as opposed to let's say ATTEMPTED MURDER!!!! Is it a man thing?? If, lets say she had tried to kill him instead of cheating on him ... all would be back on the mend again!
    THANK YOU!!! I have been thinking the same thing! I mean come on!! And its not like Babe is trying to defend or justify what she did. When will Babe wake up!

'AMC' introducing transgender character

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer Sun Nov 26, 10:31 PM ET

NEW YORK - In a story unusual even for a soap opera and believed to be a television first, ABC's "All My Children" this week will introduce a transgender character who is beginning to make the transition from a man into a woman.

The character, a flamboyant rock star known as Zarf, kisses the lesbian character Bianca and much drama ensues. The storyline begins with Thursday's episode of the daytime drama.

There have been a handful of post-surgical transgender characters in television shows, including a college professor in the 2001 prime-time CBS series "The Education of Max Bickford" and a model in the short-lived ABC soap opera "The City" in 1996, according to the
    Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. Showtime's "The L Word" currently features a character changing from a woman into a man.

"All My Children" was looking for something new, and knows its audience is always interested in anything to do with sexuality, said Julie Hanan Carruthers, the show's executive producer.

"After 36 years, you start rehashing," she said. "It's inevitable. We didn't want to fall back on the baby-switch story again."

The show wasn't interested in doing something just to be sensational, she said. GLAAD and some transgenders were brought in as consultants in shaping the character, teaching the producers when it is appropriate to call a character "she" even before surgery, she said.

Damon Romine, a spokesman for GLAAD, said he hasn't seen the show yet but feels people involved were genuinely interested in telling the story with dignity. Emotions are so close to the surface in soap operas, and this story can serve a purpose by showing what transgenders go through, he said.

"I think it's groundbreaking and breakthrough television for daytime to put a spotlight on transgender people and tell their story," he said.

"All My Children" could use some attention. Mirroring the decline of daytime dramas in general, its average audience has slipped from 8.2 million in 1991-92 to 3.1 million last year, according to Nielsen Media Research. Particularly last summer, "All My Children" has tried several new characters, said Carolyn Hinsey, editor of Soap Opera Weekly.

"They're trying really hard and they're throwing a whole lot of desperate stuff against the wall to see what sticks," she said.

Actor Jeffrey Carlson portrays Zarf, an American who nonetheless speaks in an exaggerated British accent. He was on the show for one day last summer and was surprised to get a call pitching him the new story.

Carlson said it can be intimidating feeling that he is representing the entire transgender community.

"I worry about missing something, but I guess that would be the same with any character," he said. "I want the `All My Children' audience to go along. It's not for shock value. It's just another person who's story is being told in Pine Valley."

After Zarf establishes a bond with Bianca that leads to the kiss, an angry Bianca tells him she's a lesbian. It triggers something within Zarf about why it made such sense to be falling in love with a lesbian.

It's not clear, Carruthers said, whether "All My Children" will stick with the Zarf character through any surgery; one suspects the reaction of the soap's audience to the story will have a lot to do with it.

"She talks about peace so much," Carlson said of his character. "I hope that she finds some peace."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061127/...ap_transgender

I guess that puts an end to the speculation about who will fall for Bianca. I didn't see this character over the summer, but I'm interested to see if the actor can pull this off. I applaud AMC for even attempting this storyline, but I hope they do it in a respectful, non-sensationalistic way (hey, I can dream! ).
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm so fed up!!!! I, too, am jumping on the band wagon with the whole "everyone's making a big deal about Babe having an affair and that's unforgiveable" argument. I can't believe that everyone (including Babe) is forgetting the fact that JR tried to KILL her!!!!! Hello?! And I'm also fed up with the Erica Kane saga. I keep being drawn into the arms of my first husband but Jack has no reason to be mad at me even though I keep inviting my first husband into my hotel room and jumping to his defense and kissing him. I know it makes for great humor but can't the Kane/Montgomery clan have a normal, peaceful Thanksgiving dinner for once. Every year, they try and have a nice Thanksgiving dinner at the Valley Inn and something happens and all h*** breaks loose! Last year it was the whole Greenlee/Kendall/Ryan pregnancy saga and now it's Jack brings Brooke to dinner so Erica gets even by bringing her ex-husband and son. And...WTH was Amanda doing there???? She's not a Kane or a Montgomery! Was she there as Sean's guest? The only thing that would've made it more interesting would've been if Ryan and Annie brought Jonathan. Then you really would've needed a referee. Perhaps the people that run the Valley Inn restaurant should invest in some plastic chairs, tables and cutlery just for the Kane/Montgomery Thanksgiving dinners. Won't stop the punches from flying but it will save their real chairs and tables from being smashed and it will keep Erica from stabbing anybody else like she did Zach. Oh, and plastic cups and plates, too. Okay. Rant over.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

what would a Thanksgiving be without drama?!?! that would be no fun at at all! hehe. I think the Erica saga is hilarious -- her and men!

And Critical, I am looking forward to this Zarf s/l as well...I think it is great that they are trying something new -- not many shows have touched on this subject and I am excited to see where it goes.

Oh and have yall checked out the new AMC podcasts? If not, you should. Not only do they provide recaps but they also provide behind the scenes clips -- I really enjoyed learning about the stunt guy who jumped out of the window and not JR...there is so much that is put into one episode that you just dont think of. Here is the link if interested -- enjoy!

http://abc.go.com/fsp/index.html?channel=AMCPodcast

Can't wait till today -- is Tad going to learn through the video that Krystal is carry his baby?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby;2160317;
    what would a Thanksgiving be without drama?!?! that would be no fun at at all! hehe. I think the Erica saga is hilarious -- her and men!
    My favourite part of their Thanksgiving Debacle was Zack's reaction to Erica saying that he was actually an example to follow. Too Funny!! I was laughing so hard I had re rewind what I missed.

I have really lost my love for the ABC soaps. I had/have been a follower since the 70's when my mom would rule the TV in the daytime. I cannot stomache that Josh is Erica's abortion baby. That is the most disgusting thing they have ever done on any soap.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckChick;2162166;
    My favourite part of their Thanksgiving Debacle was Zack's reaction to Erica saying that he was actually an example to follow. Too Funny!! I was laughing so hard I had re rewind what I missed.
    I thought he was pretty hilarious just sitting there eating turkey and chatting with Myrtle and watching the show Erica was putting on. Just another Thanksgiving with the family.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

According to SOD:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Vincent Izarrazy (sp?) is heading over to Y & R!
    Any ideas who the serial killer is going to be? Simone will be the first vic followed by another Fusion girl. Logic would say David because of the way they all treated Babe but David is gone so...I don't think they would turn Zarf into a killer so soon. Besides he/she seems too nice. Then again, isn't always the nice, quiet ones that you have to watch out for? Oh, another question. When the H*** did Marian (sp?) become a real estate agent. Last time she was on screen she was showing that gorgeous house to Babe & JR but I don't remember it ever being mentioned before that that she was a real estate agent. Am I missing something?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread