+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: All My Children

Re: All My Children

The last few minutes were just stupid. Outrageous to end it that way.

I don't even remember when I started watching ABC soaps. I remember being at least in about 4th grade and watching them with my mom. I got serious in HS and have watched them on and off for years. I mostly watch OLTL. Todays ending was teary, uplifting, a bit funny (JAckson, saw that coming) and a cliffhanger! But what's a soap without one??
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I saw that coming with Jack and Erica, too, and thought "they won't go there", but they did. lol

Quote Originally Posted by kattatude View Post
    I saw that coming with Jack and Erica, too, and thought "they won't go there", but they did. lol
    I liked it. When you think about it Jack put up with... its kind of like GWTW.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Thanks for posting that Critical! I guess I have mixed feelings too. On the one hand, I'm excited that Pine Valley (and Llanview) will live on. But I hope this doesn't effect either show from "wrapping up" and giving us fans a really satisfying TV ending worthy of 40 years of great storytelling. I mean, if Jack and Erica don't end up happily together, really what's the point? Most of the time I think of course that's how they'll end it....but every once in awhile I have this horrible nightmare they're going to have a Scarlett O'Hara GWTW ending for Erica and Jack
    Ugh. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Not that I've watched yet...I still have the last couple epi's DVR'd. I just can't stay away from spoilers though

ETA: My original post was from way back on July 7th.
    Last edited by Katydyd; 09-23-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

when I started my current job almost 2 years ago, I was so happy that I was close enough to home to go home for lunch. I would get home and watch the last 15-20 minutes of All My Children and then the first 15-20 minutes of As The World Turns. As the World Turns is over and now AMC and that's just sad.

I know that the ending had to be done differently for AMC because it will continue in some form online and ATWT did not. But the ATWT final episode was much more well done, IMO. I did not like the storyline of all these people coming back to life. I know that soaps have always veered away from realism to some extent, but this was just ridiculous. I hated that Dixie got killed off, but did not need to have David pull her out of the grave. Same for Ian and Stuart.

Instead of bringing back the dead characters, why didn't they have Jack's 2 adopted kids, Reggie and Lily, finally come back from basketball camp and MIT?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

OK, someone has to say it, they went out with a bang!

And they left it totally open who got shot with Erica rushing forward towards Jack, possibly crossing in front of Marissa (who I gues was the target) at the crucial moment.
    I've missed a lot over the last few years....how did Marissa wind up with the kid and not JR? Was he considered unfit? She's not the bio mother is she, unless I missed yet another messed up DNA test.
    I did have to watch this last week though....started when my kids were babies and Tara was technically becoming an unwed mother (because sorry, but weddings in an empty chapel don't count), and now they are in their mid 30's. They got older, I worked more, they left home and I worked full time, but I took Soap Opera Digest and tried to keep up roughly with the plotlines, and tuned in whenever I got sick. One of my co-nursery school moms knew Susan L. in high school... I always felt that one or two degrees of separation!

Finally caught up with the last week on DVR. The finale week was wonderful. I loved how they devoted a full day each to the Hubbard, Martin and extended Kane clans I'm really happy that even though the show is set to continue on the Net, they were able to honor the history of the show. I think they balanced it pretty well with a satisfactory "wrap up" feel for TV.....but plenty of room to continue on-line. As for Jack and Erica...ugh!...again Although honestly, to be true to the character, how could it have been any different? GWTW indeed! I don't like it, but I get it. I would have liked to see the planned epilog though...mostly because I'm curious as to how Agnes would have wrapped it all up. Loved Stuart and Marion, if David had to bring someone else back, I'm glad it was him It was wonderful to see David Canary back in both of his roles - he was sorely missed by me! But who is the blonde? At the end there, the way David was talking, it almost seemed as if it was someone Dixie wouldn't be too happy to see: "Trust me, you don't need to know"....but maybe I just read more into it than was there. As for JR, I've never really been a fan...mostly I think because I'm not a huge Jacob Young fan. Couldn't stand him as Lucky. But he was finally getting interesting. I like the really dark turn his character took...it makes sense. And his Jack Nicholson-esque descent into crazy was fun to watch. I'm kind of having a hard time processing that was the last episode (as we know it) I'll ever see. Over 30 years for me. Other than family, that makes Erica Kane my longest "relationship" Pine Valley has been in my life longer than my oldest, closest friend and my son!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

This past week paid tribute to the core families and to the original theme of the show. I loved it. Also enjoyed seeing Stuart--the 'heart and soul of Pine Valley'--come back. David Canary still has 'it'.
    Now that its over, I feel like I've witnessed the tearing down of The Empire State Building, someone rounding off the corners of The Pyramids, someone painting a mustache on The Mona Lisa!!! Something epic has been taken away from us......

I was actually happy to see Jack finally grow a pair and dump Erica! I like him, but I'm not really a fan of them together because she's always walked all over him. I thought Dimitri was a better match for her.

I'm okay with a cliffhanger, but I really do not like JR or Jacob Young. On several other message boards, people are praising his acting and I just don't get it. Every time I see him in a scene, I hear Jon Lovitz as Master Thespian crying "ACTING!!!"

My favorite episode of the week was the one that featured the Martin clan. The Martins were the main family (at least for me) when I started watching AMC. The Kanes? Meh. Plus, aside from Erica, they're all recasts or recent arrivals. I was glad we didn't have to endure more of Ryan and Greenlee than we did.

In all the interviews I've read, cast members are pretty vocal about how the show was mismanaged over the last few years. I think it was 6 writers in 4 years, including the horrid Charles Pratt, who isn't even fit to write radio ads. Plus, the move from NYC to LA, which someone (Michael E. Knight?) believes was a way to get rid of popular actors like Thorsten Kaye and David Canary, who TPTB knew would not move to CA.

The fact that they sent Susan Lucci on her book tour and told her that the show was not canceled and that the network was committed to the show - so she'd parrot that to everyone - and then announce the cancellation two weeks after she returned from the tour is just evil. They planned to cancel the show LONG before that. What a slap in the face for Susan - their biggest star. As MEK pointed out in one of the interviews I linked to above, not only is Susan the face of AMC, she's the face of soap operas. Erica Kane is the character most people think of when they think of soaps.

I can definitely understand why many of the actors are burned out right now after what they've dealt with over the last 18 months or so. I hope some of them - at least the ones I love - sign on with Prospect Park. From what I've read, PP really respects the legacy of the show. With the right actors, I think they could do something really good.

ETA: I forgot to say, the highlight of the finale was Tad's speech at the party. It was so much about the emotion of the actors rather than the characters. I was so glad that MEK was the one who delivered that speech. He's always been my favorite actor on the show.

Also, there are some good videos on ABC's site that didn't make it into the special episode of The View: http://theview.abc.go.com/blog/all-m...-you-didnt-see
    Last edited by Critical; 09-24-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread