+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: All My Children

FORT Fogey

Re: All My Children

I am holding out hope that the announcements about SL not going and the lack of announcements of others going online is being held off and played with to not alert us of what the finale on ABC has in store. I think SL will sign on to the new show, but maybe in a more limited fashion. I just do not see her not being a part of AMC wherever it goes. I also am dumbfounded why the Network did not try less days a week or even amp it up and try a weekly show in Primetime like Dallas was. I really think that it was a bad call on ABC to end the show with how recognizable SL is and how long she has been on the show. I hope that it makes it on the internet, and maybe gets picked up by a cable channel. There was a rumor swirling about Bravo, but I never saw it come to fruition.

Is anyone else almost disappointed in a way that PP picked up our shows to air on the Internet? I hate to say that, because I've been watching AMC and OLTL since I was a kid...over 30 years. And no, they're not as huge a part of my life as they have been in the past, but I will always remember and love my soaps - where ever they go. And I do still watch and keep up - these two are just no longer "must see TV." But I'm afraid now OLTL...and especially AMC...will not get the ending they, and we viewers, so richly deserve.

I was reading in Soap Opera Weekly (or Digest?) that the originally planned ending for AMC had a final epilog tacked on that would have shown the characters several years later and let us know where they had ended up in their lives. Now, AMC has changed it's ending and will end its network run with a cliffhanger. True, a few stories supposedly will wrap-up, but I would much rather have this classic actually end with the dignity and fanfare it deserves than peter out in virtual obscurity with only a few minor reminders of what it once was. Maybe I'm wrong and this Friday will hold a satisfying conclusion for those of us who have loved this show for decades. And maybe PP really can make a successful go of Internet soaps. I hope so, because I might be singing a completely different tune if my beloved GH is cancelled . I just wish they were experimenting with something other than AMC. Ideally, I'd love it to have another 50 years on ABC....but if that is not to be, please, please, please let the final episode be one that celebrates, respects, and ends the wonderful 41 years we had on a high note. After 30 plus years of viewing, I don't want a "season-ending cliff hanger", I want a grand finale
    Last edited by Katydyd; 09-19-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

ITA about the cliffhanger. I'd prefer a nice wrap-up but in a way that they can still be continued.

I'll follow the shows to the Internet as long as they don't charge for it. With Susan Lucci opting out, it's going to feel different, although Erica has never been a favorite character and, frankly, I've never thought she was a great actress ()
    Now, if they don't get Michael E. Knight and Cady McClain, I'll definitely rethink my position. If they get Tad and Dixie together and then we don't see them together after this, I'll be seriously bummed. Also, if Ryan and Greenlee play a big part in the PP version, I may not be a faithful viewer. Those two are like nails on a chalkboard!

I can't believe there are only 5 episodes left I've watched this show since the 5th grade.
    Katydyd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    .....I can't believe there are only 5 episodes left I've watched this show since the 5th grade.
    I grew up in Jersey, and I can remember being in middle school at lunchtime, and if you turned the radio dial aaaaaalllllllll the way to the left, you could catch AMC on the radio I don't know if ABC deliberately aired it on the radio locally, or the air waves just happened to pick it up. I remember listening to the fire in the attic with Devon's baby. My earliest TV memories were when Paul's wife Anne was blown up in the car. And Linc and Kelly/Kitty. But oh, the Greg and Jenny years....and early "Tad the Cad"...Benny Sago...Nico and Cecily (yes, my crush on Maurice B developed way back then ). And ummmm, while I do want a happy ending for Jack and Erica.....I definitely concur with your assessment of Ms. Lucci's acting prowess
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I started watching before this, but my first vivid memory of AMC is Cliff and Nina's wedding. They were so young and beautiful. The definitely don't do soap weddings like that any more!

So, the Hubbards got their happy ending today. I wonder if that's it for them this week. I haven't been happy with Zach since he returned, so I hope they don't spend too much time on him or on Ryan and Greenlee. I'd rather see the core families - the Martins, the Hubbards and even the Chandlers. The Kanes? Not so much. Not really an Erica or a Kendall fan and this new actress just isn't Bianca for me.

The less we see of Erica, the better, especially the way she's been written in the last few years. I never really liked her with Jack, so I'd be happy if Mike Roy came back from the dead, threw her over his shoulder and rode off into the sunset with her. Then they can bring Laurel back from the dead for Jack!

We all know that Babe is alive. Any guesses as to who the other undead person is? Jamie left PV in perfect health, right? In my fantasy, it's Jenny, but that's not going to happen. I just loved Jenny and Greg so much. The summer she ran away to NYC with Jesse is still so vivid in my mind.

The storyline I care about the most is Tad and Dixie. They were MY super couple. I want them to get lots of screen time this week!

Only 4 more episodes
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Hard to beleive this is the last Monday afternoon the show will on--the last week ever! I know rationally that its just a tv show and everything is fictional, but in my heart, there is a Pine Valley and all these people have been with me for years. I have watched them grow up, some die, see their happiness and the tragedy. You cared about them-- or not, but they were there everyday if you wanted to drop in for a visit. Its going to take some getting used to.....

I would love to see Mike Roy come back!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Final week...it's gonna be tough...

Is the online thing still happening? With Susan Lucci's reaction...how will they continue without her?

FORT Fogey

It was confirmed that Cameron Mathison and Lyndsey Hartley will be continuing on to the new Prospect Park version online. I think in the coming weeks that we will be seeing more and more sign on. I am actually excited about the show continuing especially with new leaders who will hopefully utilize the talent and history better.

Babe argh I hope that in the cliffhanger she is one that dies permanently. I cannot stand Alexa Havins or Babe.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

So will the online version of AMC be a pay per view type of deal, or for free? I know how these online show dealie types things normally go...they expect veiwers to pay to watch. Well that 'ain't going to work.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread