+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: All My Children

Re: All My Children

Tad and Dixie!!!

I'm sorry, but the makeup dept. needs to stop making Cara look like a goth. What is with the raccoon eye makeup and white lipstick? She's a pretty girl, but they aren't doing her any favors. I never warmed up to her character, so I'd be happy if she left town and didn't take any time from the long time characters on the show.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Esta Terblanche looked great today, although she's aged since Gillian died so many years ago. I guess this means David doesn't have Gill in a room somewhere. Poo.

I was happy to see Zach when he first came back, but now I'm sort of irritated with him.

Still loving Tad and Dixie. That scene yesterday with Angie, Dixie, Krystal and Amanda was really good, even with Amanda in it. Remember when people were friends in Pine Valley and not just people who slept together or stabbed each other in the back?
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Susan Lucci is really coming out & blasting the execs at ABC for their bad decision making & she doesn't stop with the cancellation of the show, she is throwing the entire kitchen sink at them. Good for her. Why does this network need more talk & cooking shows. And furthermore, it shouldn't have come as a surprise that the soaps are being cancelled. When they announced the demise of Soapnet so they could mount yet another kids cartoon network, that pretty much was the death bell tolling for soaps. I'd be surprised if GH lasts much longer.
    tapper01 likes this.

Go Susan! I am sure she held back until the show was finished taping and then couldnt any longer. Someone at ABC said she was being bitter and they basically expected better of her!! Is anyone at ABC still living on this planet?

Susan Lucci Criticizes ABC Daytime Chief in New Epilogue
    7:36 PM PDT 9/3/2011 by Philiana Ng

"I think our being in this position is the result of some very bad decisions," the "All My Children" star says of Brian Frons.

Soap opera veteran Susan Lucci is speaking out on the topic of All My Children's cancellation, with the star sharing her true thoughts in a new epilogue in the upcoming paperback edition of her memoir, All My Life.
    our editor recommends

Lucci, who has stayed on the long-running daytime soap since 1970 criticizes ABC daytime chief Brian Frons and shares how she berated him in the piece, obtained by the New York Post. "I think our being in this position is the result of some very bad decisions by you," Lucci said.

She also claims that Frons, who assumed his position in August 2002, hired a new head writer three years ago who was responsible for "subpar" writing. Lucci, who has been nominated 21 times for a Daytime Emmy for her role as Erica Kane and won once, also commented on the decision to move the production from Los Angeles to New York and Frons pushing out All My Children creator Agnes Nixon.

In the new epilogue, Lucci wrote that Frons notified her in April that the series would be replaced by a daily food show, The Chew, because it was cost effective. "An iconic show was losing out to greed," she writes. "If Brian Frons could show his bosses that he could save the network 40 percent he could keep his job even if the rest of us lost ours."

According to Lucci, after Frons told the cast that the show would be ending, he seemed to be "self-congratulatory." As she described it, Frons had both "ignorance and arrogance," adding that she couldn't think of "any network executive choosing to alienate millions of loyal viewers in these economic times."

In the epilogue, Lucci was tempted to call the network and leave a voicemail, saying, "F.U., and your little dog too," but decided against it.

ABC responded, saying, "We have all the respect in the world for Susan, and are sorry she felt the need to write this epilogue to an otherwise incredible career."

In July, ABC licensed All My Children and One Life to Live to production company Prospect Park so they could live online. The multi-year deal calls for Prospect Park to produce and deliver the soaps in the same format online and on emerging platforms, though it is unclear when the shows will be available online.

At the summer Television Critics Assoc. press tour, Frons introduced the panel for The Chew, but did not field any questions.

All My Children will air its final episode Friday, Sept. 23, while One Life to Live will end next year. The Chew begins airing Monday, Sept. 26.
    Susan Lucci Criticizes ABC Daytime Chief in New Epilogue - The Hollywood Reporter
    Way to stay classy, ABC. Like her career is over when the show ends. Even if Susan never does another thing in her career, she'll always be a TV icon. Brian Frons will never be more than a suit who destroyed these shows in the name of profit and to save his own job.

I felt the same way about the cancellation announcement - totally self-congratulatory.

For those who have the TV Guide Network, there is an hour show of "All My Children: The Stars, Stories & Secrets" on Sunday, September 11 from 8:00 to 9:00 PM ET.

FORT Fogey

ABC has nothing but garbage programming. Aside from AMC and DWTS, I do not tune in at all to the Network. I also totally despise almost all of the Disney programming for my children and much prefer other channels. I cannot believe that AMC was taken off the air when it was failing due to writing. Frons killed the show, and cost the network money, but the network still believes he is good at his job. I will not watch the Chew or any other show on ABC daytime.
    cablejockey likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I even hate the name of the replacement show--The Chew. Such an obvious ripoff of the View, another show I never watch. There are plenty of stupid talk shows and lots of cooking /entertaining programs. We need our soaps on public tv! Not everyone has access to (or can afford) Soapnet.

Looks like the show finale in a few weeks will mean the end of Erica Kane on AMC:
    Susan Lucci Shoots Down All My Children Online Offer

Tue., Sep. 6, 2011 8:44 PM PDT by Bruna Nessif

Farewell, Erica Kane.

We already know that All My Children is going to continue its dramatic plot on a smaller screen (meaning, your computer screen), but we didn't know for sure if big stars like Susan Lucci were up for the transition for online.

Well, now we do. And it's a big fat no.

At least, in Lucci's case.

Deadline reports the Emmy winner, who has been gracing us with her presence on the daytime soap for over 40 years, refused to accept a deal from Prospect Park to stay on the show.

It's said that the production company offered Lucci an identical salary to what she currently makes with ABC, but Lucci reportedly asked producers for more money, fewer hours and the freedom to join a primetime series.

Of course, the leading lady couldn't leave without a memorable exit.

The Los Angeles Times reports Lucci has added an epilogue to the paperback edition of her book All My Life: A Memoir, that pins the blame of the soap's cancellation on ABC's Brian Frons, saying, "I watched Brian Frons' decisions destroy the production of our show and the lives of people on both sides of the country. AMC production was moved from New York City to Burbank in January 2010 to cut costs. If Frons could show his bosses that he could save the network 40 percent...He could keep his job even if the rest of us lost ours."

End scene!

Read more: Susan Lucci Shoots Down All My Children Online Offer - E! Online
    IMO, her asking for more money and less screen time just means that she didn't want to stay with the show. I'm surprised they offered her the same salary, considering the show will be online. Now, even with the show online - which I'm honestly still feeling ambivalent about - it's definitely going to be a very different show. For me, whether the show will work online (or if I'll want to watch it) has everything to do with which cast members stay. I definitely don't want to watch the Ryan and Greenlee Show.

Well, how strange is this timing?: Mary Fickett obituary: Longtime 'All My Children' actress dies at 83 - latimes.com

I think Lee Meriwether is playing Ruth this time around and has been for a while, but Mary Fickett is always Ruth to me.

So in two weeks they have to wrap this whole thing up. Will they do it in any satisfying way? Will Zach turn out to still be a good guy working to expose David? If Babe is still alive, who is the second patient? Did Jamie die off-screen and I didn't hear about it?

+ Reply to Thread