+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: All My Children

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: All My Children

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Posting this here since AMC is going off the air first:

'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' Will Go On | tooFab.com

I'm not sure what to think. I'm thrilled that it looks like some people will keep their jobs, but I'm nervous about what this means for the actual story lines. If Lucci is leaving, will it actually BE AMC for anyone? I don't know if I can picture Pine Valley without Erica Kane. Maybe she could do both, since DH also films in LA. I guess I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic!
    Eh, I'm not that enamored of Susan Lucci. Honestly, I don't think she's a very good actress. She LOOKS like she's acting. For a good actor, the effort shouldn't be that apparent. They should be so natural in the part, it's like they're just being themselves.

I do worry about how long AMC will last online. Personally, I prefer watching tv and movies on a tv set. I HATE watching shows or movies on a computer screen, where you sometimes have choppy video and audio, buffering delays, commercials you can't fast forward through, etc. I only resort to watching shows online when my vcr fails or when more programs are on at one time than I can record simultaneously. Still, it's better than the show ending completely. I'll make it work as long as VIncent Irizarry is still on AMC!

^^^You still have a VCR?

TCA: Sarah Michelle Gellar to Return to 'All My Children'
    Published: August 04, 2011 @ 11:41 am
    By John Sellers

Sarah Michelle Gellar confirmed on Monday that she has signed on to make a guest appearance in an upcoming episode of "All My Children" -- only she won't be playing Kendall Hart, the role that won her a Daytime Emmy.

She made the announcement while speaking at the Television Critics Association summer press tour about her upcoming CW show "Ringer."

“I can officially confirm that I will be doing a guest spot on 'All My Children,'” Gellar said. “When I heard that the show was canceled I didn’t understand. It just doesn’t make sense to me. So, I called Judy Wilson, who is the casting director and has been since I was there, and I said I wanted to do something.”

She played Kendall Hart on the soap from 1993 to 1995 before going on to bigger fame with "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," but said she didn't want to reprise the part.

"I was very specific: I don’t want to be Kendall," said Gellar. "That’s Alicia [Minshew]‘s role. But I just wanted to be a part of it. I have no idea what I’m going to do, so we can take suggestions, but I will be doing one day. I’m excited."

ABC canceled "All My Children" earlier this year and has set its final episode for September 23. A flurry of former cast members are returning to the show for guest appearances, including Josh Duhamel and Carol Burnett.

A reporter at the press conference also asked Gellar if she's doing as many stunts on "Ringer" as she used to on "Buffy," but the implication was that they must be harder to do now that she's 34.

“Due to my advanced age, they’re cutting down on them a little bit because they’re worried about osteoporosis," she deadpanned.
    TCA: Sarah Michelle Gellar to Return to 'All My Children' | TheWrap TV

I'll be interested to see what they do with her. I have to say, I love that so many of AMC's former stars are coming back to honor the show.

I posted an article in the OLTL thread about the possibility of AMC and OLTL ending up on cable. I think this could go either way at this point. Either it all falls through and the shows end completely or the shows could find a new home on cable. I have no idea how it will pan out, but the pessimist in me says that they will just end. I'd love to see them continue, but only if the new versions of the show aren't just weak copies of the original.

I watched today's show and MAN, I just loved seeing Janet, Dixie and Erica in the same scene! I wish there was a way for James Kiberd to return, even if it was only as Trevor's ghost in one scene. Janet and Trevor were so much fun back in the day.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

With all the really good stuff going on now (Dixie, Leo, Zach, Annie, Marissa & Bianca) there's one thing that's really bothering me. For some reason I find it easier to suspend belief and buy into David raising the dead than I do Amanda's story She has sex then three weeks later not only does she have HPV, but it has already lead to cancer. And not just cancer, but cancer that has progressed enough to require a hysterectomy. Seriously? I certainly don't want to make light of a very serious issue, and I"m definitely no doctor....but three weeks from hoochie to hysterectomy?
    bearwme1 likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I found it quite a jump from Amanda being diagnosed with cervical cancer to having more tests done to surgery! When did she get word that she needed a hysterectomy?
    David is such a great character on the show, that you can believe he is capable of anything! I have no trouble believing he has kept dead people alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    With all the really good stuff going on now (Dixie, Leo, Zach, Annie, Marissa & Bianca) there's one thing that's really bothering me. For some reason I find it easier to suspend belief and buy into David raising the dead than I do Amanda's story She has sex then three weeks later not only does she have HPV, but it has already lead to cancer. And not just cancer, but cancer that has progressed enough to require a hysterectomy. Seriously? I certainly don't want to make light of a very serious issue, and I"m definitely no doctor....but three weeks from hoochie to hysterectomy?
    I seriously should make this my sig line!

I haven't been watching religiously, so I missed the HPV/cervical cancer thing. I just knew she had cancer. Yeah, it's bunk that cancer develops THAT fast from HPV exposure. It's my understanding that it takes much longer, like years, for cancer to advance that much from an HPV infection. It would be more likely that she got HPV from her husband if they were being at all realistic with this storyline. Honestly though, I'm not a fan of Amanda or Jake, so I don't care about her storyline. He's much too old for her and I've always found Ricky Paull Goldin kind of creepy.

I think that if David has all these "dead" people in his clinic, they could cough up Trevor and Gillian too. They've taken the story this far, so what the hell, right?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think that if David has all these "dead" people in his clinic, they could cough up Trevor and Gillian too. They've taken the story this far, so what the hell, right?
    I've starting watching regularly again since we're down to only weeks (wow, I still can't quite wrap my mind around it!), but tonight was bizarre. Ryan and Griffin found a file in David's office with obits from almost every dead Pine Valley person...Babe, Julia, Noah, Leo, Palmer, Myrtle, Dixie...I can't remember if they mentioned Trevor and Gillian, but probably. There were some really random names from way back. I guess that's one way to bring them back before the show wraps!

And since you missed the cancer backstory: Amanda slept with JR, then 3 weeks later had a pregnancy scare that turned out to be an STD, that turned out to be HPV, that turned out be cancer....and well, you know the rest
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I've starting watching regularly again since we're down to only weeks (wow, I still can't quite wrap my mind around it!), but tonight was bizarre. Ryan and Griffin found a file in David's office with obits from almost every dead Pine Valley person...Babe, Julia, Noah, Leo, Palmer, Myrtle, Dixie...I can't remember if they mentioned Trevor and Gillian, but probably. There were some really random names from way back. I guess that's one way to bring them back before the show wraps!
    Wouldn't Palmer and Myrtle be a bit old? Who is next, Phoebe?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Wouldn't Palmer and Myrtle be a bit old? Who is next, Phoebe?
    Considering that those actors have passed, I'd say AMC is getting a little zealous about that list! I'm surprised they didn't throw Kate Martin and Mona on the list too! What about Langley and Charles since they seem to be on a roll?

Thanks, Katydyd - I knew Amanda had slept with JR again, but didn't know what kind of cancer she had or what they were claiming had caused it. Have Annie and Marissa been tested for HPV? If Amanda got it and developed cancer in 3 weeks, I'd think those two should have died from cancer by now

Tad and Dixie today = Cara who?

Here's how this should go down: Amanda, whose cancer has already proven to be the fastest moving cancer in the world, will die in the next month, thus leaving Jake available. Cara will leave Tad for Jake, clearing the way for him to be with Dixie guilt-free.

So Leo's not alive and it was all a hallucination? Well, okay, at least we got to see Josh Duhamel again. I saw an interview with Rebecca Budig on tvline.com and she basically said that she hasn't been happy with the way they wrote Greenlee over the last few years. She liked the funny, sarcastic Greens when she was with Leo. She was hoping that's what she would get again when she came back a few years ago and it didn't happen. It sounds like, even if the show continues on after it leaves ABC, she's probably not interested unless they really change the character. I could care less. Greenlee can leave town and take Ryan with her. Unless, of course, they resurrect Gillian. I always loved Ryan and Gillian together.

I'm so sad about the show ending, but I'm enjoying seeing all the actors returning. Why did they ever get rid of Robin Mattson? Janet is such a great character! I loved watching her with Erica and with Dixie and even with Amanda, who I can't stand. I liked Amanda better when she was about 3 and never did anything but sit like a lump in any scene. There was a time when, if Amanda had to move in a scene, one of the other actors had to MOVE HER themselves. I remember the young actor who played Tim leading her around the set and sitting her down in various places in the background of scenes. It was unintentional comedy gold!

+ Reply to Thread