+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: All My Children

FORT Fogey

Re: All My Children

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    If karma works, Brian Frons will get hit by a bus. Soon.
    Or be done in by a batch of poisoned pancakes.

This is just so sad . I have faithfully been watching AMC for the past 20 years.

I remember watching Ryan's Hope and Dark Shadows (my fave!), my mom was an avid As the World Turns fan. I watched Edge of Night and Secret Storm with my grandma when I was in grade school.

I also heard the they are going to cut One Life to Live and General Hospital to either a 45 minute or 30 minute format. In another 5 years there will be no more soap operas. Seems a shame. Really who needs another talk show. May be the American market will try adapting the telenovella format to TV. I know they tried it before and was not so successful but maybe another shot at it won't hurt.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

They're going to cut OLTL to zero minutes since it got canceled as well.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just read that One Life to Live will end in January of 2012 and All My Children in September 2011.

If nothing else the soaps were great training for a lot of actors who went on to become quite famous.

ABC already has replacement shows:

Soap Operas 'All My Children,' 'One Life to Live' Canceled After Decades on Air - FoxNews.com

On Thursday, ABC announced two new additions to daytime programming, which will most likely serve as replacements for the canceled programs.

“ABC is evolving the face of daytime television with the launch of two new shows, ‘The Chew,’ which will premiere in September 2011, and ‘The Revolution’ (working title), which will premiere in January 2012," ABC said in a statement to FOX411. "These new shows expand ABC Daytime’s focus to include more programming that is informative and authentic and centers on transformation, food and lifestyle – cornerstones of programming that resonate with daytime viewers as evidenced by the success of ‘The View’."
    Really, another View like show, can't stand the first one and they are making clones of it. Please. No wonder no one watches.

PS: One reason I quit watching soaps is that they hiring pretty faces that couldn't act and writing horrible stories. When you look back on the soaps in the 80's many of the actors were not pretty and didn't have pecs but they could act and carry a storyline. It has gotten to the point the acting on "reality shows" is better than on the soaps with supposedly real actors. That is why the ratings went down.

When I was about 9 years old I had pneumonia and had to stay home from school for a couple of weeks. I discovered an 18 year old Erica Kane and a story line about a chimney causing carbon monoxide poisoning. I loved Tara etc. I am now 50, and one of my chicklet's names was actually inspired by an AMC character from waaaay back. I haven't watched in several years, the storylines just got so boring and there wasn't a character I really cared about like Nina, or Jenny or Tara. I missed Edge of Night and Ryan's Hope when they went away, but I don't think I will miss AMC at all. Sad for the genre though.

Did you see this interview with Rachel Ray?
    I think it is much too soon for her to be so "excited" about the shows replacing the soaps. How insensitive.

Rachael Ray 'really excited' about 'One Life to Live,' 'All My Children' replacements - From Inside the Box - Zap2it

Rachael Ray has much more than a casual interest in ABC's new daytime plans.

The popular food expert's syndicated weekday show airs on many of the network's affiliates, so the cancellations of the long-running soap operas "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" may impact the Daytime Emmy-winning "Rachael Ray" with the arrivals of the replacements: the food-oriented "The Chew" in September, and the lifestyle-focused "The Revolution" in January.

"I think it's exciting," Ray tells Zap2it on Friday (April 15) at the site of her annual cooking show that benefits the Alumni Association of her alma mater, Lake George (N.Y.) Jr.-Sr. High School. "My good friend Mario Batali and Michael Symon are going to be part of 'The Chew,' and I'm thrilled to see them join the roster."

Also with Oprah Winfrey's imminent departure from syndication and Regis Philbin's upcoming exit from :"Live! With Regis and Kelly," Ray knows how much the daytime scene will be changing around her.

"I will miss Regis, of course, but I will be excited to see Kelly Ripa with her new partner in 2012 I'm a big fan of Anderson Cooper, and he's coming to daytime. I'm a big fan of Katie Couric, and she may be coming to daytime. Those will be fantastic afternoon shows, but I'm interested to see who joins up in the A.M.

"In a lot of markets, we are next-door neighbors to 'Regis and Kelly' and 'The View,'" Ray adds. "I always say, 'The more, the merrier.' The cable and syndication landscapes are blurred, and I think there are more than enough viewers and customers out there for everybody. I'm really excited to see a lot of the new shows."

RR just needs to shut up now. What an insensitive twit.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    RR just needs to shut up now. What an insensitive twit.
    Exactly. There are alot of us, who maybe we don't watch the soaps like we used to, but grew up with the shows and on occasion do see what is going on and are sad about this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread