+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: All My Children

Re: All My Children

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I remember all of these and the ones listed above you. I watched Soaps that my grandmother and great grandmother watched when I was a very young kid! I still remember them. The Secret Storm, Love Is A Many Splendid Thing,
    Search for Tomorrow, and Love of Life. I'm really showing my age here. Does anyone remember these shows?
    I remember hearing about, but never saw Search for Tomorrow.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Yes Ryan;s Hope was cancelled too and I taped that last episode. Still have it--somewhere. I loved the Ryans--Maeuve, Johnny, Mary--who sadly died--Delia, Frank and Jillian. Such unforgettable characters.
    Also Siobhann (sp?) played by Marg Helgenberger, if I recall correctly.

I also remember Secret Storm, Search for Tomorrow, and Love of Life (where Christopher Reeve got his start.)
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Also Siobhann (sp?) played by Marg Helgenberger, if I recall correctly.

I also remember Secret Storm, Search for Tomorrow, and Love of Life (where Christopher Reeve got his start.)

She was the third Siobhan.... Sarah Felder played the first one and the second one was played by the actress who was Kelly Taylors mom on 90210. I looked it up out of curiosity.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 04-15-2011 at 05:59 PM.

I liked Sunset Beach. It was deliberately outlandish. The grand finale was fitting for the nature of the show.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I liked Sunset Beach. It was deliberately outlandish. The grand finale was fitting for the nature of the show.
    what happened on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    The first soap I paid serious attention to was Ryan's Hope, I don't even think I was a teenager yet. Wasn't that one canceled too?

Remember Loving? And didn't they end up killing off the whole cast?
    Loving did replace Ryan's Hope and then it turned into The City after, yes, a serial killer decimated the cast and the survivors moved to NYC.

I also watched Port Charles, which went WAY downhill with the vampire storyline, IMO. I liked when it was about the hospital.

In related news, Mario Batalli doesn't give a crap about the shows being canceled :Mario Batali -- Don't Blame ME For Killing The Soaps! | TMZ.com

Also in related news, I won't be watching, reading or cooking anything to do with Mario Batali ever again. Not that this is hard for me, but still.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Don't forget Dark Shadows....I have some of those on DVD & they are great. All the mistakes are left in & you can see cameras dollying from area to area, scenery falls, people forget lines....great stuff.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

And I loved when "Mary Ryan" showed up as a starship commander!

Another bunch of quotes from celebs about the cancellations (some that were in the article above and some that were not): AMC and OLTL: Stars From Daytime and Primetime Sound Off on ABC's Scrubbed Soaps - TVLine

I have to say that, although I started watching AMC first, I'm more upset about the OLTL cancellation. Lately, AMC has sucked quite a lot. OLTL, on the other hand, has gotten really good, PLUS, they just beat GH in the ratings last week. Nice. They improve and get the boot anyway.

If karma works, Brian Frons will get hit by a bus. Soon.

ETA: Here's the official statement from the ABC site: http://abc.go.com/site/abcdaytimenew...bcannouncement
    My favorite part: "As food has become the center of everyone's life..."
    Like food is this new fad or something. It's not like there aren't SEVERAL channels that already focus entirely on food already.
    Last edited by Critical; 04-16-2011 at 01:21 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Sorry for the double post, but I didn't want to keep adding to the one above. I read the comments on the article I linked to above and this comment is, IMO, dead on:
    Some of the best television ever is to be found on daytime drama. The fragmenting of the TV viewership is a handicap, but if ABC Daytime VP Brian Frons was less of a clueless, egomaniacal schmuck and more of a creative leader, a solution could have been found that didn’t cannibalize the Disney bottom line. Why can’t there be Daytime experiences at the Disney theme parks, $ from which help subsidize them? How are soaps supposed to thrive when budgets are cut, writers and producers focus-grouped to literal death, talent is tossed aside for the hot shirtless dude du jour, and nobody knows the shows are still ON because the network doesn’t ever promote them except during DAYTIME? If ABC and Anne Sweeney had any interest in preserving jobs, viewers and a genre that trailblazed for 50 years, all they had to do was listen to the faithful. I’ve bought brands that advertise during my shows, watched prime-time (“Castle”) that starred or featured daytime alumnae and everything else they asked of me, only to be spat upon in return. It’s a sad day when economy trumps decency, even though as a corporation, the House of Mouse is the cheapest, most ruthless entity out there.

+ Reply to Thread