+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: All My Children

Re: All My Children

ABC has just cancelled AMC & OLTL....

That just sucks OUT LOUD! Brian Frons is, well, I'm not allowed to say what he is here since it's not PG-13. I'm totally bummed out now. I started watching those shows when I was a little kid.

Here's an article:
    ABC cancels 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live,' replaces soaps with lifestyle shows
    by Lynette Rice

In a crushing blow to the daytime soap genre, ABC announced today that it end yank All My Children and One Life to Life and replace them with two lifestyle shows. AMC will end in September and OLTL will end in January 2012 to make way for The Chew and The Revolution. In an announcement, ABC says “ these new shows expand ABC Daytime’s focus to include more programming that is informative and authentic and centers on transformation, food and lifestyle — cornerstones of programming that resonates with daytime viewers as evidenced by the success of The View.”

“While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can’t help but recognize how bittersweet the change is,” said ABC Daytime President Brian Frons in a statement. “We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days. They are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on ‘real life’ takeaways. A perfect example of this is The View, and that factored into our decision. The Chew and The Revolution are in the same vein and will be great additions to the lineup, with The View serving as an ideal foundation from which to launch these programs. They will also provide enormous opportunity for the creation of ancillary businesses and growth.”

General Hospital, the second most-popular sudser in daytime, will not be affected by the changes.

The Chew will be produced by Gordon Elliot (Paula Deen’s Home Cooking) and is a one-hour series that enables viewers to “get the dish” on anything and everything related to the world of food and beyond. Hosts will include Mario Batali (Iron Chef America); entertaining expert Clinton Kelly (What Not to Wear); Carla Hall (Top Chef); Michael Symon (Iron Chef America), and nutrition expert Daphne Oz.

The Revolution is from Executive Producer JD Roth and 3 Ball Productions (The Biggest Loser) and will be a daily show about health and lifestyle transformations. The show is hosted by a team of experts and rotating guest contributors and will feature a “unique concept,” ABC says: “Each week one woman’s five-month weight loss journey will unfold in just five days, with daily results and a final transformational reveal on Friday.

The enormous costs of maintaining old (and many think outdated) soaps was the primary reason behind the network’s decision to yank AMC and OLTL. Keeping the genre relevant and profitable remains job one at the three broadcast networks, and NBC and CBS have gone to great lengths to slash the budgets on shows like Days of Our Lives and The Young and the Restless to keep them on the air for rabid fans. Other shows haven’t been so lucky (RIP, As the World Turns and Guiding Light).
    ABC cancels 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live,' replaces soaps with lifestyle shows | Inside TV | EW.com

I officially won't be watching the two shows replacing AMC and OLTL and Frons is so "excited" about. He can stuff it
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I had a feeling about this as much as a year or so ago when they announced they were shutting down Soapnet for yet another kids cartoon network., That is a whole other stream of income they shut off, something had to give.

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Wait… what… cancel AMC… omg.

So many Soaps all ending…

And AMC had so many of those actors relocating to LA…
    E online just announced it ABC is cancelling AMC and OLTL
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

This is just so maddening! I have been watching AMC for years and cannot imagine tv without it! Well Frons, mission accomplished...

I know! I started watching this show when I went to my babysitter's house for lunch every day in maybe the 4th or 5th grade! I guess my theory was right - they hired back Lorraine Broderick to usher the show out.

Brian Frons just earned himself a TON of bad karma for basically killing Erica Kane. I hope the two replacement shows fail miserably.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

If the people storming the message board at ABC have anything to say about it, Frons and whoever else is responsible will be hiding out for the next while! People are furious and letting them have it with both barrels!!!

Someone started a petition. It probably won't do any good, but I signed it anyway: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sav...-life-to-live/

I can understand if the statement released had mentioned the falling ratings and cost of production as reasons for cancellation, but for Frons to say that viewers had been asking for this, well, that was a jerk move. I hope the calls, letters, emails, etc. make his life miserable for a very long time. He's a dirt bag.

I feel sick.

well I wont be watching any new crap shows

I cannot believe this! They denied rumors of cancellation for a while now, and now its officially canceled!

+ Reply to Thread