+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: All My Children

Re: All My Children

Just heard that James Mitchell (Palmer Cortland) passed away today.
    So sad. I remember him in "Oklahoma"
    Phyllis Newman.....Proof you can't turn a ho into a housewife.

I don't even know what to say. That makes me so sad. James Mitchell WAS AMC for me for so many years. Palmer is one of the first characters I remember from the show - my first memory of the show was Cliff and Nina's wedding. His battles with Daisy and then later with Opal were some of my favorite storylines. He will be missed.

I read an interview with Jill Larson recently and one of the things she was happy about with regard to the show's move to LA is that she'd be able to see James more.

RIP Mr. Mitchell. You were a class act.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by rcurrytoo;3805314;
    So sorry to hear that. I remember him in Oklahoma, too, and in The Turning Point and The Band Wagon. He was a wonderful dancer in his young days.

I had a feeling he's been failing for a while, but he would have turned 90 next month.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Sad news...I really enjoyed him on AMC over the years.

I haven't watched AMC in a long time, but remember James Mitchell's portrayal of Palmer Cortland as the character that held the glue together on this show. Loved him and sorry to hear of his passing. And yes, he was a great dancer!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by rcurrytoo;3805314;
    Sigh... that's the one downside of soaps....you see these people every day for years and you really do feel you know them...

I haven't been watching lately... I assume he'd left the show a while ago? How did they write him out? Was he still married to Opal?

No, he wasn't written out and he had been on the show as recently as Jan 5th. Palmer and Opal are still divorced.

On a side note, Brooke (Julia Barr) will be returning to the show within the next couple of weeks, and there is a unconfirmed rumor that David Canary (Adam Chancellor) will be leaving the show soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3805718;
    Sigh... that's the one downside of soaps....you see these people every day for years and you really do feel you know them...

I haven't been watching lately... I assume he'd left the show a while ago? How did they write him out? Was he still married to Opal?
    Phyllis Newman.....Proof you can't turn a ho into a housewife.

Finally, an official article (vs. a tweet from Soap Opera Digest)
    All My Children Actor James Mitchell Dies

All My Children actor James Mitchell died Friday of lung disease complicated by pneumonia, ABC announced. He was 89.

A Sacramento, Calif., native, Mitchell played patriarch Palmer Cortlandt on the ABC soap opera for three decades. Mitchell had most recently appeared on the series' 40th anniversary special on Jan. 5.

Before moving to Pine Valley, Mitchell spent many years on Broadway as a trained dancer. He starred in musicals such as Billion Dollar Baby, Carousel, Funny Girl and The King and I, in addition to performing with the American Ballet Theater. Mitchell's other screen work included films such as The Turning Point, The Band Wagon, and Oklahoma! and other TV series like Charlie's Angels.

Outside of his work on All My Children from 1979 to 2009, Mitchell taught theater students and actors at Yale and Drake Universities. Mitchell is survived by his longtime partner, Albert Wolsky.
    All My Children Actor James Mitchell Dies - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Wonder how they are going to handle this on the show....surely they will give him a send off of some kind, not just "send him up to the attic".

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3806342;
    Wonder how they are going to handle this on the show....surely they will give him a send off of some kind, not just "send him up to the attic".
    They did really wonderful tributes to Eileen Herlie and Fra Heflin when they both passed. I expect nothing less for James.

Just read a spoiler that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Cady McClain is coming back to AMC. No word on whether Dixie will be alive or a ghost. I say that, if Maria can survive a plane crash and Greenlee can live through driving a motorcycle over a cliff, then Dixie can survive the pancakes! I'd love to see Tad and Dixie back together - they were always my favorite AMC couple. Maybe Greens isn't the only one David has in "on ice" in a hospital bed somewhere!

+ Reply to Thread