+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree886Likes

Thread: General Hospital

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: General Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Who knows? I was surprised they didn't have Edward die. It would make sense, since it was pretty obvious John wasn't going to be coming back. Instead, we'll get an off-camera death like we got with both Palmer and Mona on AMC.
    I think it probably would have been too sad for John Ingle to portray Edward Quartermaine's death on camera, when his own death was so clearly near. R.I.P.

You're probably right. Maybe if they'd had Edward pass several years ago when the rumors that he wanted to retire first started, it would have been okay, but yeah, it might have been in bad taste to have the character pass when the actor was in such poor health.

ETA: Gut - this video includes the footage of John Ingle's last scenes on GH. You can skip to around 5:49 for his first (I think) appearance in the video: 09 11 12 Edward Gives The Cure To Emma - YouTube
    Last edited by Critical; 09-18-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

He just had a couple of scenes, and although he looked healthy I commented at the time that he had almost no lines. He came in, had an I love you scene with Tracy, and then the thumbs up scene with Emma when he gave her "the cure".

I'm really glad he got to do that final set of scenes. He seems to have been a really nice guy--I liked both Edwards a lot, but agree his Edward seemed a bit warmer. It really does seem like the end of an era. That is the great thing about soaps in a way... you watch some actors grow up, others grow old and die, just like real life.

If John Ingle had to pass, I'm glad he did so under Valenti and company. I think they have enough love and respect for the rich history and characters of this show that Edward (and John) will get the on-air tribute that they deserve. At least I hope so!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    If John Ingle had to pass, I'm glad he did so under Valenti and company. I think they have enough love and respect for the rich history and characters of this show that Edward (and John) will get the on-air tribute that they deserve. At least I hope so!
    Seeing that he just passed, I'm pretty sure they'll address it on the show & hopefully do it well. I always appreciate it when Soaps do a good sendoff & retrospective for actors with a lot of history with the show who pass on.
    We as viewers kind of deserve it too.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    He just had a couple of scenes, and although he looked healthy I commented at the time that he had almost no lines. He came in, had an I love you scene with Tracy, and then the thumbs up scene with Emma when he gave her "the cure".

I'm really glad he got to do that final set of scenes. He seems to have been a really nice guy--I liked both Edwards a lot, but agree his Edward seemed a bit warmer. It really does seem like the end of an era. That is the great thing about soaps in a way... you watch some actors grow up, others grow old and die, just like real life.
    I thought he looked really ill and weak. John was always so spry and had such a twinkle in his eye and that was nearly gone in those last scenes. I thought he looked bad, but didn't realize he was dying.

I'm sure they'll have a nice tribute to John and Edward. His last scenes were filmed, I think, on August 24th, so they're filming maybe 2-3 weeks ahead. It will take them some time to write his passing into the story, but I bet we'll see something in about a month or so. I'm sure there will be plenty of real tears from the cast....and from ME on my couch at home!

I'm so glad John was able to come back for that little "cameo" before he passed. It was like when James Mitchell came back to AMC to do that interview for that faux TV about Pine Valley. They were lucky to have some unused footage from that interview to play at Palmer's funeral too and we got to see him just one last time. IMO, the best soap funeral that was also for someone who had passed IRL was the one on AMC for Eileen Herlie/Myrtle. There was so much genuine emotion, including the incredibly moving poem (which still makes me teary to think about!) that Thorsten Kaye wrote for Eileen, who was his dear friend.
    Katydyd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    You're probably right. Maybe if they'd had Edward pass several years ago when the rumors that he wanted to retire first started, it would have been okay, but yeah, it might have been in bad taste to have the character pass when the actor was in such poor health.

ETA: Gut - this video includes the footage of John Ingle's last scenes on GH. You can skip to around 5:49 for his first (I think) appearance in the video: 09 11 12 Edward Gives The Cure To Emma - YouTube
    Just got a chance to watch that clip... what a tear-jerker! Thanks for finding it Critical!
    Count your blessings!

Did I miss something? New hot female doctor, new hot female intern? Where did they come from?
    Count your blessings!

No clue I thought I was missing something too! The intern - is she an intern or a nurse? I couldn't tell - has major stalker potential. Very creepy. If she hadn't already locked onto Patrick, I'd say she'd be going Single White Female on somebody sooner rather than later.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Was the "intern" the same girl that helped Spinelli in the lab?

+ Reply to Thread