+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree929Likes

Thread: General Hospital

  1. #2231
    FORT Fogey ilja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,797

    Re: General Hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I feel absolutely sick to my stomach. GH is the best it's been in long time, between the influx of OLTL characters and bringing back old favorites and this is what we get? I'm ready to cry

    It's Only the Soaps: Good Afternoon America
    I can't access that link from work. Please tell me it's not saying what I think it's saying.

  2. #2232
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,468

    Re: General Hospital

    The original story was that ABC was going to bring on that afternoon edition of GMA to replace The Revolution until Katie's show was ready in the Fall. It was not going to effect GH, in fact they had signed contracts to keep GH going. I think that article linked above has some stuff wrong.

  3. #2233
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,250

    Re: General Hospital

    For ilja and others who can't access the article--it speculates that if Good Afternoon, America does well over the summer it may stay on and Katie will replace GH...instead of having GH move to 2pm. Somehow this is supposed to keep people from blaming Katie for the demise of GH.
    I wouldn't blame Katie, I'd blame the programming idiots at ABC. But I wouldn't be watching any of that afternoon stuff. I also have only recently gotten back into GH, which is a lot better than the last time I tried it (also I"m retired now, so have more afternoon time). It takes some effort to be home for it or tape it...I certainly won't be doing that for Katie C. or any of the other stuff they are putting on.

  4. #2234
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,832

    Re: General Hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    For ilja and others who can't access the article--it speculates that if Good Afternoon, America does well over the summer it may stay on and Katie will replace GH...instead of having GH move to 2pm. Somehow this is supposed to keep people from blaming Katie for the demise of GH.
    I wouldn't blame Katie, I'd blame the programming idiots at ABC. But I wouldn't be watching any of that afternoon stuff. I also have only recently gotten back into GH, which is a lot better than the last time I tried it (also I"m retired now, so have more afternoon time). It takes some effort to be home for it or tape it...I certainly won't be doing that for Katie C. or any of the other stuff they are putting on.
    I don't care for any of their afternoon offerings... I used to watch OL, now I went over to GH. If I'm not watching those, I either see what's on the movie channels or catch a People's Court. I don't do feel good self help talk shows.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  5. #2235
    Yes we Did! - Twice!! Katydyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the playground in my mind
    Posts
    3,061

    Re: General Hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    The original story was that ABC was going to bring on that afternoon edition of GMA to replace The Revolution until Katie's show was ready in the Fall. It was not going to effect GH, in fact they had signed contracts to keep GH going. I think that article linked above has some stuff wrong.
    Razorbacker, maybe we will be lucky and they will indeed keep GH at least until April 2013. I sure hope so ! Problem is, if they are rolling GAA out and it does well in the ratings - or, even if the numbers aren't that great but it's cheaper to produce....we can probably kiss good-bye any thought of GH continuing past April Which is a shame on many levels. Most importantly, people like soaps. Regardless of what you call them in order to white wash the soap "stigma," there are an awful lot of soaps - excuse me, serialized dramas - airing on prime time. the other thing is, day time soaps are an institution. They have a faithful, built in audience, many of whom have been watching since childhood. I don't think the networks really realize how diverse their viewing audience is. Or, more likely, they just don't give a da...rn. I'm a professional working woman, by no means rich, but comfortable enough to afford satellite TV with DVR service. And that's how I watch my soaps. I may not be 18-34, but I guarantee my money is just as green. And I watched all through my "target demo" years. I'm not alone, but I don't think viewers like me, who may not show up in whatever counts they do, necessarily get taken into consideration. But you can darn sure bet I would never take the time to DVR any of the crap they're replacing the soaps with! Sorry, off my "soap" box now
    libgirl2, Imperfect1 and ilja like this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata


    "I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

  6. #2236
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,832

    Re: General Hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Razorbacker, maybe we will be lucky and they will indeed keep GH at least until April 2013. I sure hope so ! Problem is, if they are rolling GAA out and it does well in the ratings - or, even if the numbers aren't that great but it's cheaper to produce....we can probably kiss good-bye any thought of GH continuing past April Which is a shame on many levels. Most importantly, people like soaps. Regardless of what you call them in order to white wash the soap "stigma," there are an awful lot of soaps - excuse me, serialized dramas - airing on prime time. the other thing is, day time soaps are an institution. They have a faithful, built in audience, many of whom have been watching since childhood. I don't think the networks really realize how diverse their viewing audience is. Or, more likely, they just don't give a da...rn. I'm a professional working woman, by no means rich, but comfortable enough to afford satellite TV with DVR service. And that's how I watch my soaps. I may not be 18-34, but I guarantee my money is just as green. And I watched all through my "target demo" years. I'm not alone, but I don't think viewers like me, who may not show up in whatever counts they do, necessarily get taken into consideration. But you can darn sure bet I would never take the time to DVR any of the crap they're replacing the soaps with! Sorry, off my "soap" box now
    Very well said!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  7. #2237
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: General Hospital

    I have watched GH since the 70's I took a break for the past 3 yrs. I just could not suffer what they had done to the show. I just started back with Todd coming on and it has gotten better. I hope they don't cancel it I go all the way back to the Steve Hardy and Nurse Jessie Brewer days!
    ilja likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  8. #2238
    Yes we Did! - Twice!! Katydyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the playground in my mind
    Posts
    3,061

    Re: General Hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I have watched GH since the 70's I took a break for the past 3 yrs. I just could not suffer what they had done to the show. I just started back with Todd coming on and it has gotten better. I hope they don't cancel it I go all the way back to the Steve Hardy and Nurse Jessie Brewer days!
    I wasn't a regular viewer back then (I probably started taking a real notice around '78-'79), but I do remember Jessie Brewer and definitely remember Steve reading the Christmas story at the hospital My earliest GH memory is being about 5 years old, coming home from half-day kindergarten and watching (mostly playing ) while my grandmother watched in the afternoon.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata


    "I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

  9. #2239
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: General Hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I wasn't a regular viewer back then (I probably started taking a real notice around '78-'79), but I do remember Jessie Brewer and definitely remember Steve reading the Christmas story at the hospital My earliest GH memory is being about 5 years old, coming home from half-day kindergarten and watching (mostly playing ) while my grandmother watched in the afternoon.
    My sitter used to watch GH. I remember Leslie being with a man named Mitch before Rick, this was before Luke and Laura came town. I remember good old gossiping nurse Amy, Lauras sister,lol
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. #2240
    Yes we Did! - Twice!! Katydyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the playground in my mind
    Posts
    3,061

    Re: General Hospital

    My problem with the ABC soaps is I remember individual stories, but not which ones were going on when. So, my earliest memories from when I started watching on my own involve Heather and Jeff, Nurse Anne and Diana...the whole pregnancy baby selling story, the LSD, killing Diana and writing Anne's name in blood... But I couldn't tell you if that was before, during or after the whole Luke rapes Laura at the disco, dancing in Wyndam's and going on the run from the left handed boy story...which I also watched. They all just sort of blend in together But remembering the old Heather story and some of the others really makes the stuff going on now with Jason and "Steven Lars" so much richer. I love that GH is honoring their history for the long time viewers as well as telling good, compelling (IMO) stories for newer viewers. I will definitely miss this soap the most when it goes
    ilja likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata


    "I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.