+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1150Likes

Thread: General Hospital

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: General Hospital

I've been watching to see the OLTL folks come on---so far have seen Starr, John, Blair and Todd, with Tomas referred to when Blair calls him to explain what's going on. And of course very brief appearance by Cole and Hope before they die (or are assumed dead, going off a cliff, car bursts into flames, but no reports of bodies yet). I think only Starr and John are staying long term though. Although Todd has made a lot of threats to Sonny and Carly and Blair bonded over their bad choices in husbands the police are presumably taking Todd back to Llanview now, and he won't be out on bail again since he jumped bail. I assume Starr will stay around to testify about what happened at the crash; maybe Blair will stay for a while to keep her company, but both Blair and Todd have obligations back in Llanview. Of course so does John--wife, kid. Maybe Victor will suddenly turn up alive and Todd will be released, although he did actually shoot Victor, no? Surely that means some prison time? Or was it in self defense? I didn't see that. John also says that he felt very "paternally" towards Cole, to further tie him into the story. And clearly we are being given "history" between Sonny and John from John's FBI days when he was into crime lord destruction and failed to bring Sonny down.

I was very disappointed in how Robert acted....frankly nuts and way too smiley and gleeful about rushing off to save his son. The big smiles were just weird. I know he's meant to be very stressed by Robin's death, but it was just weird. He was barely there.

OK here's a real possible spoiler from SOD....
    Click to see Spoiler:
    apparently there will be a twist akin to seeing Victor alive at the end of OLTL. I'm guessing that means that at least one of the current presumed dead people really isn't. Now that could be a shot of Robin in a clinic getting some experimental treatment or Hope wandering through the woods and being taken in by a kindly hermit...or Cole turning up just as Starr gets involved with Sonny's kid... who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I think only Starr and John are staying long term though. I hadn't heard that they put Michael Easton on contract. I'm not his biggest fan, but if this means there will be one more person after Sonny, I'm happy!
    Click to see Spoiler:

I've watched soaps long enough to know that no one is dead, not even characters we've seen die on screen. Look at Jesse on AMC. He died in the hospital and we saw it happen. Alive. Same with Maria on AMC, who went over a cliff in a plane and we saw it happen. I think if we saw someone get decapitated on film, soap writers would somehow invent a head reattachment surgery! They joked about it in the movie Soapdish, but it really wasn't that far from the truth.

As a random aside, I just misspelled "Soapdish" as "Sopadish" and the spell check recommendation was "Mogadishu"!
    Minney likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've watched soaps long enough to know that no one is dead, not even characters we've seen die on screen. Look at Jesse on AMC. He died in the hospital and we saw it happen. Alive. Same with Maria on AMC, who went over a cliff in a plane and we saw it happen. I think if we saw someone get decapitated on film, soap writers would somehow invent a head reattachment surgery! They joked about it in the movie Soapdish, but it really wasn't that far from the truth.
    And if all else fails, there's always the "Dallas" style "It was all a dream" solution to changing history.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Click to see Spoiler:

As a random aside, I just misspelled "Soapdish" as "Sopadish" and the spell check recommendation was "Mogadishu"!
    I think you added something to my quote sonehow,Critical, but since I agree I can't complain. I did read a snide comment in one of the soap mags that if John stays maybe the PC police would have enough staff to actually catch a crook---currently they have Mac plus the son of a crime lord and his partner who seems to be covering up for a crook. I'd actually rather see Todd stay and be after Sonny since I like that actor more, but even for soaps that's a reality stretch---unlike head reattachment surgery, or having a fetus aborted from one woman implanted in another.

I guess there are not a lot of words with adish in them!
    libgirl2 likes this.

I don't remember exactly, but initially, didn't Todd not remember shooting Victor at all on OLTL? Somehow I've always held out hope that the memory was implanted and not only did he not kill Victor, but he never even shot him. I mean really, crazier things have happened.......

As for the SOD spoiler
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I really hope it's Robin! There are lot's of us out there that remember her as a little girl and it would sure be nice to get confirmation that she's alive (even though, c'mon, we kinda know she's not dead dead ). Besides, it would be nice to know also that Maxie won't have to live with the guilt that it was her fault for the rest of her life.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree, re the spoiler. I"m one of the "Lot" .

I missed the whole shooting scene so don't know whether Todd did or not. Anyone?

Just watched the first part of Robin's memorial service....the chapel is deserted!!! Maybe a dozen people there, lots of empty seats! Robin is supposed to be beloved--they can't pay some extras to fill the empty seats and stand at the back???? What the heck?

IIRC Todd didn't remember anything about shooting Victor until his mother (I can't remember if she was alive or if it was after one of her after-death "visits") told him he did. She told him all about it & then he started having "memories" about it.
    He was already pretty messed up & delusional at the time, so his "memories" seemed very suspect. No other concrete proof was ever established.
    It would be very easy for the writers to get him out of it.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    IIRC Todd didn't remember anything about shooting Victor until his mother (I can't remember if she was alive or if it was after one of her after-death "visits") told him he did. She told him all about it & then he started having "memories" about it.
    He was already pretty messed up & delusional at the time, so his "memories" seemed very suspect. No other concrete proof was ever established.
    It would be very easy for the writers to get him out of it.
    That's great---Victor can be rescued and say, no, it wasn't Todd, it was XYZ, and he's off the hook. Except for jumping bail, pulling a gun in a courtroom (don't they have metal detectors in PC?), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    That's great---Victor can be rescued and say, no, it wasn't Todd, it was XYZ, and he's off the hook. Except for jumping bail, pulling a gun in a courtroom (don't they have metal detectors in PC?), etc.
    Oh, you know those are all minor charges in Soapland! Of course there are no metal detectors in the courthouse in PC. How else could we have people pulling guns on each other left and right in the courtroom?

PWS - ITA about the empty church for Robin's funeral. WTH!? Couldn't they have packed that church with extras or crew members for a few days? Half of PC was missing from those scenes. AND, is it just me or did everyone seem kind of bored by the whole thing? I didn't feel much emotion from the folks in the pews. Also, did Sonny really just get up at the funeral, say what he wanted to say and then leave? Classy.

I enjoyed seeing those old clips of Robin as a little girl. I remember when she was so tiny and cute.

The whole thing with Jason and Sam and Carly is just annoying. I agreed that he shouldn't have been told about Robin while he was really at risk, but now he looks like he's totally fine. He's even back in his "uniform" and doesn't appear to have a mark on him....no small feat considering he just had brain surgery, right? I think Sam should have told him about Robin in time for him to go to her funeral. I'm sure now there will be lots of angst with Jason and Sam and lots of smugness from Carly, all of which I could do without.

I'd love to see Epiphany go off on Carly about sneaking into Jason's room.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm enjoying those clips as well...she was an adorable little girl and really did look as if she could have been Anna's child. She's also about the age of my kids and I"d not been watching GH long, so I've always liked that they didn't give her rapid aging syndrome and let her grow up naturally. It makes for some great clips,in Anna's memory and in the slide show...the advantage of soaps is that they have "history" and in this case it is completely real, all the same actors.
    I wonder why they had the Quartermaines not go to the church. It surely took as much time at home as it would have if they'd been at the church, and there would have been a few more seats taken. Weird how everyone decided to work in honor of Robin instead of go to her service.
    The one who most got to me was actually Mac. He really seemed to be feeling it and brought tears to my eyes. Of course as the clips show, he's the person on the show who's known Robin the best as he wasn't in and out of her life like her parents. Which means he's also the actor who knew her best.
    I sympathize with Sam and her Carly problem, but she probably should have told Jason as soon as the other doc cleared him. Just how soon does she think Robin's husband will be back to work? She knows Jason is not high on his list...it could be days before he clears Jason---did she really think she could keep this secret for days? Methinks she's a little jealous of Jason and Robin's history in a way.

+ Reply to Thread