+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV Theme Songs

TV Theme Songs

I haven't seen a topic on TV themes, so I figured it might be fun to ask people about their favorites. Not very deep talk, but for nostalgia purposes it may serve to remind us of some TV we've missed or forgotten about.

This forum seems like the best match, since there's no "General TV talk" forum.

Here are my choices for original compositions done for TV only:

Categories:

Best from the Past, w. lyrics - John Sebastian's "Welcome Back", the theme from "Welcome Back, Kotter"

Best from the Past, Instrumental - Theme from "The Green Hornet" (it's based on "Flight of the Bumblebee" but was adapted for this show by Al Hirt). Also high on my list, the theme music from the "Match Game" game show and the freewheeling theme from "What's Happening?" (which I bet you didn't know was written by Henry Mancini)

Best from the Present, w. lyrics (still airing new episodes) - undecided -- think as I might I can't really think of many good ORIGINAL lyric-based theme songs on current T.V. They all use songs from other media now.

Best from the Present (still airing new episodes), Instrumental - the scat-tastic "Boston Legal" (I'm counting scat singing as "Instrumental"). The theme from the "Jimmy Kimmel Live" show is also decent scat, although it's got a few lyrics.

Best International (past or present, lyrics or not) - Theme from "The Benny Hill Show"

Worst Theme from a Popular show (past or present, lyrics or not) - Theme from "Baywatch"

Funniest (past or present, lyrics or not) - Can't decide between "Fresh Prince of Bel Air", "Green Acres" and "The Addams Family"

What are your choices?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I love the new theme for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Although I'm not sure if it was written specifically for the show, I love Nip/Tuck's theme song "Perfect Lie" by the Engine Room.

I am showing my age - MTM had a spinoff called Phyllis. It's theme was a spoof of MTM's "Love is all Around".
    The show was set in San Francisco and an all male chorus sings: "Who lights the lights of Chinatown just by walking in view? Ooh Phyllis, Phyllis, it sure isn't you."
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Krom - I can't believe you didn't mention The Apprentice! You always sing along with it.

The first one that springs to mind is the theme from Simon & Simon. I always loved that one.

When I was a kid I liked the themes to Spiderman, Batman, The Banana Splits, Stingray and Fireball XL-5. And of course The Littlest Hobo.

A couple season ago, Alicia Silverstone had a show called Miss Match. The theme was done by Macy Gray and I've tried to find somewhere to download it, with no success.

Best international theme would have to be Monty Python's Flying Circus.

At present, I enjoy the themes from Malcolm in the Middle and Las Vegas, neither of which were composed for the show. I also enjoy the Monk, Smallville, King of the Hill, Trailer Park Boys and Gilmore Girls themes. And Craig Ferguson's theme from the Late Late Show.

Past favs would include Dead Like Me, The Greatest American Hero (yup ), WKRP in Cincinnati, High Chaparral, Knot's Landing, The A-Team, M*A*S*H, Cheers, Perry Mason, and my numero uno: Twin Peaks. I still play the Twin Peaks soundtrack. A lot.
    Last edited by Qboots; 03-22-2006 at 04:26 PM.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

C'mon Qboots - What about Seattle from Here Come the Brides? Was it written for the show, or was it a song before that?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    C'mon Qboots - What about Seattle from Here Come the Brides? Was it written for the show, or was it a song before that?
    You know, I'm not even sure which came first. Bobby has a version on one of his albums with slightly different lyrics but I think it was originally written for the show.

I also forgot to mention "C'mon Get Happy" by the Partridge Family.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Q, I love the theme to The Greatest American Hero! I happen to have a collection of TV themes on my computer (), and that's in there.

I also love the themes to Law & Order, The Office, Alice (which I haven't been able to find anywhere), WKRP in Cincinnati, and The Amazing Race, among many others.

As for international shows, I like the themes from Absolutely Fabulous and Red Dwarf.

The haunting melody of MASH is one of my faves. I loved The Greatest American Hero theme, even had the 45
    Other favorites of mine (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some):

Welcome Back Kotter
    Courtship of Eddie's Father
    Monk
    Moonlighting
    Miami Vice
    Northern Exposure
    Love Boat
    Nanny and the Professor
    Charles in Charge
    I Dream of Jeannie
    The Munsters
    The Addams Family
    The Jeffersons
    Newhart
    Quantum Leap
    Laverne & Shirley
    Lassie
    Grey's Anatomy
    The OC
    Beverly Hills 90210
    The Facts of Life
    What's Happening
    Fresh Prince of Bel Air
    Green Acres
    Dragnet
    X-Files
    Doogie Howser
    Land of the Lost

Themes I liked but didn't watch the show:
    Twin Peaks
    LA Law
    Thirtysomething

Okay, now I know I have too many favorites to name. I googled tv theme songs and found this site and after listening to a few I haven't mentioned yet, it's obvious my list would be very long. But I'll throw in a few more - 227, Ally McBeal, and Alice.

http://www.melaman2.com/tvshows/

Listening to all these old clips makes me feel sooo nostalgic
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 03-22-2006 at 06:24 PM.

I like the theme to Monk, too. It works well with the show.

Sleepysluggo - I used to watch Alice but can't remember the song. ETA(well, after archiecomicfan's edited post, I can - thanks archie, that is a great site!)

Spongebob Squarepants :. I have to like a song that tells me to "drop on the deck and flop like a fish".

Rockford Files and pretty much any Mike Post theme music.

Bonanza - the Cartwrights sang the lyrics on one of the episodes.

Funny how the majority of the ones listed so far are from old shows. Is it because those were happier times for us or are they better than today's shows because the creators used to care more about their theme music?
    Just humming these songs to myself takes me right back to the shows. Good times.

Good Times!!
    Last edited by cricketeen; 03-22-2006 at 06:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast