+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Cannon Presents Wild 'N Out (MTV, Thursdays)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madonniac View Post
    Ha, I do remember that. I wonder if we can write to Nick Cannon and tell him Wanda Sykes or Mo'Nique needs to be a guest.
    You know, I was doing a mental tally and almost all the male guests were so-so or just plain ol' butt ugly. But all the female guests were good looking ... I have a feeling they won't want Wanda or Mo'Nique, which is a shame 'cause those two women would do a fantastic job on the show!

I just got the DVD of the first season and am watching some of the unaired Wild Styles as well as the games. Some of them were lame, but dang! Some of them were sooooooo funny! I wish they'd do more than just 10 episodes a season though...

Is it ok to be unPC in a comedic forum? (Would love to hear everyone's thoughts)

I have a question for all you fans (and even those of you who've never seen the show)...do you think it's fair--in a comedic forum like an improv or sketch comedy TV show--to be racist/sexist, homophobic, or mysognistic?

I ask because let's face it, a lot of things ARE funny unless it's being applied to our own specific groups. Polish jokes used to be "the thing" in the '70s (maybe I was too young to find them funny). Blonde jokes were big in the '90s. But I see on a lot of shows, even "Wild 'N Out," which isn't particularly nasty in any way, that every group is good to take a smack at. I noticed that at "Wild 'N Out," the women comics are often the brunt of very funny, but also kind of offensive/sexist jokes. Mikey Day (who I love) said in one of his rhymes to Nayima something like, "You say you're an actress/You make me sick/Here's a dollar for your real job/Now s*!# my d*!#" I didn't get that rhyme just right but you get my gist--he was saying she was a prostitute.

They don't really go there with the black jokes and the jokes against whites are along the lines of small penises and not being able to dance...but they needle the Indian-American comic, Rasika, and the Asian-American comic, Gene Hong, (who I haven't seen this season so maybe he was just on last season). Rasika's the brunt of all sorts of jokes, about her smelling like curry or being one of Osama Bin Laden's whores (I know, I know--she's of INDIAN descent but because of the way she looks, she gets the Bin Laden jokes as well). Spanky basically told Gene to go home and make egg foo young. You get my drift.

I did really like it when Mikey said something like this to Rasika--that he was still waiting for an apology from her for 9/11. One of the other African-American comics went after him and said, "Where's our apology for 400 years?!" (referring of course, to slavery) It was funny and point well taken.

There's this one female comic (middle aged, blonde) not on "Wild 'n Out" but who I've seen on specials on "Comedy Central" etc. She is freaking hysterical but she lays in on every race, every sexual orientation etc. It could be a bit much...

Anyhow, would love to hear others' thoughts. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Anyhow, would love to hear others' thoughts. Thanks!
    OK, I think this thread has turned into my own private blog but since I like this show so much and don't want this thread to disappear, I'll take a stab at answering my own question...

So here goes... I think that some unPC comments can be very funny. Everything is offensive to someone... I tend to like my unPC comments/jokes when everyone eventually gets slammed...not just the blacks or the Hispanics or the white or the Asians etc.

But when just one group is targeted, it's a lot more offensive to me. Like Katt gets a lot of jokes on this show about him being a "fag." I have no idea if he's even gay or not and the jokes are kind of cheap shots, but he defends himself well when he's zinged.

Can't wait till tomorrow to see a new episode! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by madonniac View Post
    I like this show too. Some of the skits are hilarious. The show's laughter factor depends on the star...Tyra Banks' show wasn't so funny...Cedric the Entertainer's, very funny.
    Was Cedric on this season? I somehow missed this episode! I'll bet it was awesome. Tyra -- not to sound too bitchy but has she gained a lot of weight? She just looks kind of thick, esp. compared to some of those other Victoria Secret models.

Cavaet: Tyra Banks is thinner and prettier than I am -- she's just bigger than she was during her modeling peak. She's probably at a stage where she feels she can eat a sandwich or two now when she's hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00 View Post
    i find it corny and unoriginal
    I agree that it's unoriginal, but corny? I don't think so. I really like it and find myself laughing, especially during the WildStyle at the end of each show!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 03-22-2006 at 08:08 PM. Reason: So I wouldn't have double posts...

Lois Lane's 3/24 Blog entry... :-)

OK, did anyone see tonight's episode with Charlie Murphy? I remember thinking this before when I saw him on Dave Chapelle's show, but he looks almost like Eddie Murphy's twin. I know they're brothers, but man, they look soooooooooooooo much alike.

I also noticed they duplicated some skits...Charlie participated in the "World's Worst" skit as the world's worst drug dealer and he gave his customer a receipt. He got a point for that bit. But when they did that last season (I forget which comic did it), he got a buzzer (e.g. no score) for doing basically the same thing...

I know, I know, there's no rhyme or reason to this show, but still...

OK, now I'm going to post on the LOST thread...

End of tonight's blog.

I saw it, and after was the one with Mike Jones...that was a funny one.
    You are who you are...and I wouldn't want to change a thing...- Madonna

I didn't give this show a chance at first but I caught an episode a few weeks ago and I like it. I don't enjoy it enough to seek it out or remember to watch it when it comes on originally (I think Thursdays at 10?) but if I'm at the TV and it's on I always get a good laugh.

I really like the supporting players, but Nick Cannon just doesn't do it for me. I think he comes off as way too egotistical and not all that funny. He kind of reminds me of Will Smith (Which is definately not a good thing).

But I'm really glad I caught this show cause it is funny. I'm actually considering picking up the first season DVD. However, when watching I always wonder how planned out the show is.............I'm sure somethings are spontaneous but I definately think they probably do a couple run throughs before the actual taping. The number one moment that made me start wondering this was when Tyra Banks was on and they dissed Nick's pants with the whole "E-I-E-I-E-I-NO!" thing (Which was funny). It just seemed really staged and I didn't buy that both the female supporting player (Don't know any of their names) and Tyra would both be on the same page like that unless it was planned and practiced. Maybe I'm wrong but.........

As for the questioning of whether it's ok for un-pc jokes to be made, I say that if nothing is left untouched it's ok. Like someone already stated, if it was just jokes aimed at one ethnicity/gender/sexual orientation it would be offensive, but if everything gets the same treatment I don't see a problem. That's the main thing I see as so ridiculous about Chef quiting South Park because they made fun of Scientology. South Park makes fun of EVERYTHING. For 10 seasons Isaac Hayes sat back as this show made fun of everyone (gays, jews, christians, etc) and then they make fun of something that hits home and he flips out. Just seems kind of hypocritical if you ask me. But to get back on topic, like I said, as long as everything is getting the same treatment and it's all done in fun I don't think it should really be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Medallion View Post
    However, when watching I always wonder how planned out the show is.............I'm sure somethings are spontaneous but I definately think they probably do a couple run throughs before the actual taping. The number one moment that made me start wondering this was when Tyra Banks was on and they dissed Nick's pants with the whole "E-I-E-I-E-I-NO!" thing (Which was funny). It just seemed really staged and I didn't buy that both the female supporting player (Don't know any of their names) and Tyra would both be on the same page like that unless it was planned and practiced. Maybe I'm wrong but.........
    I agree with you completely. I think a lot of the rhymes ARE thought of in advance, and I think some may even be hand fed to the celeb guests who aren't used to improv style. I have the DVD and I like it, but the musical segments are all cut out (maybe they couldn't clear the rights for it?) and although it's supposed to be uncensored, there are bleeps all over the place. What's that all about.

Also, some of the bonuses on the discs are skits that never made it on air, and some of the things are things that DO make it into future episodes in some format or another... so it's like they fine tuned it and then used it later.

I think that the regular cast members probably are always thinking of rhymes they can use against the opposing team--general things that could be universal if you changed the name etc. But I still like it.

I know you think Nick Cannon is egotistical but I just find him really appealing. First, I think he's cute as a button. But I also just like his relaxed style.

I did notice though that for a guy with a recording contract, he doesn't sing too well on the segments where they have to make up songs. What's up with that?!

And THANK YOU to everyone who's participating in this thread... I love this show and often feel like I'm the only one who's interested enough in it to write about it!

i think this show is worth watching

that's just my take

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Yeah, you're right! I think all the female guests have been attractive, but not great improv folks, right? They should get someone like Wanda Sykes or Margaret Cho on there as guests! I have no idea if either can rap, but they would be DAMN funny and I'm sure they could think on their feet really well! Can you even imagine Wanda going up against Katt?
    I'm super late in responding to this coz I keep forgetting that a thread exists still. Wanda Sykes vs Katt Williams should just be an entire episode. Hell put her against Affion Crockett too. I think they need to actually put some female rappers on there too like Missy Elliott, but that may be a bit difficult considering her status. Then again, Kanye showed up twice.

I'd really like to see Chris Rock vs Affion Crockett. I'd die if they ever did that one. I haven't caught any new episodes in a couple of weeks coz of FINALS. But now that its over, I'll be waiting for when MTV does a whole set of reruns. I can't way for Wayne Brady.

Some of my favorite lines (not verbatim):

"Yeah I'm Asian like its a disease, but I scored 6 times your score on the SAT's" (Hong? on Spanky, I'm Asian, so I find it funny! hehe!)

"You look like my testicle with arms attached" (Affion on Spanky)

"I would've been your dad, but I used a condom" (Affion on Nick)

"Look at your outfit, couldn't you match it? It looks like you got beat by an Easter basket" (Affion on Ying Yang twins)

"Man, being on this show is like being in hell. I woud've been better off on Nickelodeon with Keenan and Kel" (Run on Nick)

"Step up bitch and go make me a slurpy!" (Mikey on Rasika)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cwebb View Post
    "Step up bitch and go make me a slurpy!" (Mikey on Rasika)
    Great job! Gees! I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure you remembered these spot on! I loved this one, too, mainly 'cause of Rasika's immediate comeback--something like, "Here's your Slurpee, nice and quick/How about a small one?/To match the size of your d*#k!" Ha ha!

I loved Gene's thing about the SATs too (btw, what happened to him? Did he quit this season or just not get rehired?). I think that's after Spanky told him to go home and make some egg fu young (which I enjoy even though I know it's not a real Chinese dish). I remember they panned and showed shots of the audience and they were gasping like, "Oh no he didn't..."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast